Stuff you shouldn't have bought

kitekrazy

Finale upgrade - rarely use notation software and will be my last version

Wave platinum upgrade -  Ok it was $40. It gives you another opportunity to see which of your DAWs are the slowest at plugin scanning.

Fanatical Producer Loop bundle - Forgot the point of my 3 days of clearing out loops was to reduce disk space. A dog returns to its vomit. I'm always a sucker for these type of deals.  Cheap and plentiful next failure is when ADSR will continue their lottsa loops for less.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Finale upgrade - rarely use notation software and will be my last version

Wave platinum upgrade -  Ok it was $40. It gives you another opportunity to see which of your DAWs are the slowest at plugin scanning.

Fanatical Producer Loop bundle - Forgot the point of my 3 days of clearing out loops was to reduce disk space. A dog returns to its vomit. I'm always a sucker for these type of deals.  Cheap and plentiful next failure is when ADSR will continue their lottsa loops for less.

🤣  LOL 

Well I won't be getting those

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, jesse g said:

🤣  LOL 

Well I won't be getting those

What often happens on some forums is people will PM you if you want to sell certain items because you don't use them. Somehow they think I will give it away.   It annoys me to no end because you have something they think you want to sell it.  It ticks me off to no end.

One person PM's me thinking I would sell my Cubase license for $85. 

I've had people do this with my vehicle and certain instruments.   I want to go into a tirade like do you see a f'ing for sale sign on it? Now I tell them they can't afford it.

When did people think because you have something you would be interested in selling it?  That's why there are garage sales, Craiglist. ect.  F'off and search places that sell things.

• Haha 1

All of the Waves plugins I bought are a regret.

I picked up some vocal pack (never used these things before) on some deal site like VST Buzz.  The problem was it wasn't the pack I thought it was as another deal site was offering something from the same company.  Therefore I ended up buying what I thought I was buying at the other deal site the pack I accidently bought is simply a regret as I'll never use it.  

So far Melodyne has been a waste of money.  The Audio -> Midi doesn't work like I expected it to for polyphonic sources and the tempo mapping function via ARA and Cakewalk gave me a bunch of headaches.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

All of the Waves plugins I bought are a regret.

I picked up some vocal pack (never used these things before) on some deal site like VST Buzz.  The problem was it wasn't the pack I thought it was as another deal site was offering something from the same company.  Therefore I ended up buying what I thought I was buying at the other deal site the pack I accidently bought is simply a regret as I'll never use it.  

So far Melodyne has been a waste of money.  The Audio -> Midi doesn't work like I expected it to for polyphonic sources and the tempo mapping function via ARA and Cakewalk gave me a bunch of headaches.

I had a project made in Sonar 2 and Gigastudio many years ago.  I seem to have lost all of the midi files.  It seems Bandlab doesn't use Melodyne when you drag audio into a midi track,  

6 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I had a project made in Sonar 2 and Gigastudio many years ago.  I seem to have lost all of the midi files.  It seems Bandlab doesn't use Melodyne when you drag audio into a midi track,  

My understanding is it should behind the scenes, but I haven't tried it in many months.  

Regrets, I've had a few...

1) Pretty much every plugin I've bought except Nimbus, a couple of IK compressors, and Shimmer by Valhalla. That's not a knock against plugins. Plugins are great. I just bought many that I was never, ever destined to use. I'm sure no-one else has done that.

2) Anything that says Kirk Hunter in the name -- sorry, I know there are some Kirk Hunter fans here, and I've heard decent stuff done with KH libraries. I've grabbed a few over the years, mainly due to "epic-what-the-hell-why-not" discounts. But I've never really found them useful, and their Kontakt interfaces are so old-school they give me debilitating  Windows 95 flashbacks.

3) 98.5% of the phrase-based libraries I've ever purchased. I don't say 100% because I'm ever the optimist and still have hope that one of them might come in useful at some point down the road.

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

I always go through these big libraries and delete everything I don't want, and put what's left into an organized-by-genre sample library database. Took about 1.5 hours, but in the end, I only have the stuff I like, trashed the rest, and got it down to 3GB from 22GB And now I know the only thing going on the drive is stuff I can use...which I know will save me time down the road. Don't even want to know how many days I've spent scrolling through sample libraries over the last 20 years (I don't know how anyone could buy that Samples From Mars everything pack - that seems like a total nightmare) - finally decided to always filter through new purchases right away, and get rid of the crap.

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Carl Ewing said:

I always go through these big libraries and delete everything I don't want, and put what's left into an organized-by-genre sample library database. Took about 1.5 hours, but in the end, I only have the stuff I like, trashed the rest, and got it down to 3GB from 22GB And now I know the only thing going on the drive is stuff I can use...which I know will save me time down the road. Don't even want to know how many days I've spent scrolling through sample libraries over the last 20 years - finally decided to always filter through new purchases right away, and get rid of the crap.

I did the same thing went I built my new machine. I have lots of super-fast drive space but still had to economize, and eliminating the "never-gonna-use-it" stuff was pretty essential. Also, it just kind of feels better knowing the only stuff on there is front-line material. 

Totally. After cleaning everything up, I kinda forgot, and the first project I worked on I was scrolling through sounds and thinking "holy shit, I love all these sounds. What library is this??" Haha. 

So. Much. Time. Saved. Although the first time purging everything took about a week (purged stuff from Kontakt library patches and synth presets too), but workflow improved like 500%.  

12 minutes ago, Amicus717 said:

3) 98.5% of the phrase-based libraries I've ever purchased. I don't say 100% because I'm ever the optimist and still have hope that one of them might come in useful at some point down the road.

That and loops.

I never fell for any of the phrase-based stuff but I tried playing with loops and it just don't do it for me. As someone with actual compositional abilities, I'd rather spend less of my time coming up with the right part on my own than endlessly auditioning loops to find a "good enough" one that will "work."

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Carl Ewing said:

This is why I like Plugin Alliance subscription. A whole year to try stuff out, and that huge voucher that covers the cost of the subscription - I wish more companies did this.

PA is one of the main companies that helped me get away from Waves.  I've never done a subscription but in the last 12 months I stocked up through sales and vouchers.  I personally think you can get the best deal this way but it takes patience and timing.  The subsciption with voucher back would be more tempting if you didn't have to use the voucher in a single transaction as it seems difficult to maximize the savings when not everythign is at the rock bottom price during a major sale.  

That said, it would be nice to have access to everything (Amek console) which isn't really cost effective to buy yet.

I think PA is still missing a top shelf reverb in the lineup, but overall have an amazing offering.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bdickens said:

That and loops.

I never fell for any of the phrase-based stuff but I tried playing with loops and it just don't do it for me. As someone with actual compositional abilities, I'd rather spend less of my time coming up with the right part on my own than endlessly auditioning loops to find a "good enough" one that will "work."

I work in genres where sampling and loops are part of the art. I wouldn't use loops on a violin concerto - but will absolutely use them in rap. Because messing with loops / samples to create totally new ideas - especially smashing genres and production styles together - is fun as hell. But if I need to write a concerto, I can do that too. :) 

10 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

I think PA is still missing a top shelf reverb in the lineup, but overall have an amazing offering.  

Yes! Every time they do a survey I say "REVERB!" for every answer. And I think they are underrated for lofi stuff. Those Unfiltered Audio plugins are incredible, and beat out a lot of companies that specialize in that stuff.