Anyone familiar with Showplay for live SOLVED..NOPE

Pathfinder

EDIT: So I found out you have to use their virtualSynth? That's no good for me. I was going to demo it for 15 days for $15, you get a usb pedal with the demo. 
Oh well. I like the playlist in CW but sometimes seeing the Words and Setlist would be nice. Thats what I was looking for.

So I guess I am going to start to play out a bit, it's been many years. Just myself and a laptop. typical one man guitar thing. I have a zillion sequences already built up over decades. And that's OK because I don't like much of what I hear these days.

I know I can use the playlist in CW, but showplay looks pretty cool.

Anyone?

Thanks

Edited by Pathfinder

Because I don't need to change the mix of my backing tracks I use Wave files and playback using Winamp. I then have a second laptop for lyrics if I need them. Mostly I have memorized 90% of my material so depending on gig I often don't even bother with the lyrics. The lyric laptop is also a back up if needed.  

I found the Cakewalk playlist was a little too slow to change songs and was harder to jump around if I felt the need to ad lib my set list on the fly.  

I use a USB foot switch ( Stealth) to control playback of Win Amp and another cheap USB foot switch to control Power point for the lyrics.  Been uing this type of set up for over 15 years now and have never had any issues. I only need a very small mixer, set of powered speakers, guitar amp, few pedals and a small laptop ( netbook). I recently added a TC Voice Live box and it has added a nice touch to the vocals. 

ShowPlay is a superb program. Back in the early 90's when it was first developed I used it extensively. Back then it was only a MIDI player and displayed lyrics as well and was virtually bullet proof.  I think I had only one crash in ten years of use. These days it has moved on and can handle audio as well.

Back in the day when I was using it in a duo, I had my hands full of guitar and my partner could cue the next song with key strokes while playing the current one. No mouse or foot pedals needed. Although you can make set list, it is super easy to navigate with single keystrokes so you can find any song in seconds.

If you are looking at it, I highly recommend it.

The tool that I use live is http://midi-automator.com - unfortunately the website explaining it (and with the windows download) doesn't exist anymore, but there are details and some videos on this link. It's free and very useful replacement to the playlist (which I never got on with) - just make sure you set the option in CbB to only allow one file to be opened at once, and you're all set. Also freezing any backing and removing unused VSTs from the project will help with the load times. No Lyric prompting though - it just opens cakewalk projects in order and in response to learned midi messages.

If you're interested I can send you the install program - being free & open source I don't think the author would mind.