Set project tempo from an audio clip?

Starship Krupa

I've tried using the AudioSnap palette several times over the years. I've never been able to do anything useful with it. About half of the time I can't get any of the buttons to do anything at all. This is one of those times.

What I would like to be able to do is set the project tempo from previously recorded audio. This is for when I want to match the project to a recording that someone has brought me or when I have a sample I would like to build another piece around. Normally I just give up and listen to the audio and figure it out with a tempo tapping program, then entering what I find into Cakewalk, but this time I want to see if I can get the feature to work, or at least to do something.

I have a clip that's about 7 measures long and consists of guitar chords strummed in a straight quarter note pattern 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4. This would seem like the easiest kind of audio to feed it, there's no complex rhythm or division at all.

Per the documentation, I clicked on the clip, then hit Alt-A to bring up the AudioSnap palette, At this point the Reference Guide says "Click the Set Project Tempo From Clip button on the AudioSnap palette." I did that and nothing happened. What's supposed to happen, according to the Ref. Guide, is "The clip tempo map is copied to the project tempo map so the tempo maps are identical." But it doesn't.

My project tempo remains set to 120, same as before. I normalized the audio file before importing it, so there's plenty of level. It's not noisy or particularly effected, just a couple of guitar players going "doink doink doink doink" X7.

For manually editing the audio transients, be sure to select the correct Edit Filter - see pic.

Once you select audio transients you can freely move the handlers of the audio transients as you need.

--- 

Or, try Melodyne: is way more flexible and fun! I upgraded to Melodyne Studio and is one of the best investments I made to my studio. You can even alter individual notes within a chord... from an audio source, not midi. Amazing!

Screenshot_1.png

• 2 months later...

I got AudioSnap to work by bouncing the clip, then I resaved the Project file, open it again, THEN used the AudioSnap "Sync Project Tempo to an Audio Clip" at which point, it updated the global project Tempo to the clip's Click Track's tempo, and it aligned/synced the measures.  I also read up on bouncing clips so I  understand that the bounce process can fix all kinds of quirky things. I was still hoping bouncing the clip would also make it work when I drag/drop the clip onto the tempo map, but that still doesn't work.