Cakewalk won't open my projects

Herbert Zio

Question

Hi guys!

I formatted my computer, installed the plugins the way I always did, and then reinstalled Cakewalk again, version 2021.11 (Build 018), but my projects don't want to open anymore, I click to open my projects, they load, it appears the message is loaded, but the program simply closes.
I formatted my computer twice again, reinstalled cakewalk again, but without installing any plugins and my projects don't open.

Any solution to my problem?

16 answers to this question

First troubleshooting 101. 
Test that Cakewalk is working by opening. 
Load a template project activate the metronome on playback and hit the space bar. You should hear audio. So nothing wrong with Cakewalk. 
Now close this template and open your project from the start screen or the file menu. 
If Cakewalk crashes its 99% probably a plug in causing this. 
Open Cakewalk in safe mode and find the garbage plug in. 
You issue is probably one of your plug ins isn’t installed properly 

48 minutes ago, John Vere said:

First troubleshooting 101.

Test that Cakewalk is working by opening. 

Load a template project activate the metronome on playback and hit the space bar. You should hear audio. So nothing wrong with Cakewalk. 

Now close this template and open your project from the start screen or the file menu. 

If Cakewalk crashes its 99% probably a plug in causing this. 

Open Cakewalk in safe mode and find the garbage plug in. 

You issue is probably one of your plug ins isn’t installed properly 

I did this process, the model track works, however, when I open some of my projects Cakewalk closes. I've already tried to open it in safe mode and it's not possible to identify if there is any bad plugin. I formatted my computer again, and I didn't install any plugins, so when loading the project it would open the "Missing Plug-Ins" screen, and nothing happens, the project loads and simply closes.

It's a bug in this new version of Cakewalk, my projects were opening normally in the previous version, and I always backed up my projects on more than one drive so as not to risk losing or corrupting them.

Edited by Herbert Miron

3 minutes ago, Herbert Miron said:

It's a bug in this new version of Cakewalk

This is easy to test.

Roll back to the previous version.

In every new release announcement is an installer to revert to the previous release. See

for the 2021.09 rollback installer.

5 minutes ago, scook said:

This is easy to test.

In every new release announcement is an installer to revert to the previous release. See

Thanks scook, was looking for some rollback installer, i will test here. 🙂

15 minutes ago, scook said:

This is easy to test.

It didn't work for me, if I had updated maybe it would work, however, as I formatted my computer I downloaded the new Build, so the rollback to version 2021.09 is starting already gives new build, the problem is not being removed with rollback. I need to find the full installer for version 2021.09. 

Where can I find the full installer for version 2021.09 (Build 145), is there any repository?

This could be any number of things, from a bad install (unlikely but you never know) to missing or outdated libraries. If CbB is just going away, it's likely crashing silently.

Scroll down to  the "Improved plug-in exception handling / crash reporting" section of this page and set the severity to 7:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=NewFeatures.024.html

This should at least give you a clue about where to start looking, and we can narrow down what might be causing the crash.

59 minutes ago, Herbert Miron said:

It didn't work for me, if I had updated maybe it would work, however, as I formatted my computer I downloaded the new Build, so the rollback to version 2021.09 is starting already gives new build, the problem is not being removed with rollback. I need to find the full installer for version 2021.09. 

Where can I find the full installer for version 2021.09 (Build 145), is there any repository?

If the problem persists after running the 2021.09 rollback installer, then the issue has nothing to do with the 2021.11 update.

There may be a problem with the MS runtime libraries. See

• Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, scook said:

If the problem persists after running the 2021.09 rollback installer, then the issue has nothing to do with the 2021.11 update.

There may be a problem with the MS runtime libraries. See

I followed all the recommendations, and nothing resolved. I uninstalled the plugins, no opening the projects, I installed them again and nothing. The plugins are loaded normally, but when the message appears... "Preparing the project", the DAW closes, which shows that this is not a problem with the plugins, but with the project initialization by the DAW, during the moment of the project preparation after the plugins loading.
I had formatted my computer a month ago using the Win10 ISO, installed the same plugins I usually use, but the Cakewalk version installed was 2021.09 (Build 145), and everything was working fine until yesterday, so I decided to format my computer again using the same ISO, all the procedures I usually do, however, the version I installed through Bandlab Assistant is version 2021.11 (Build 018), if I followed all the usual steps, the problem is the installer of the new version. I haven't updated Cakewalk, but I installed it using the full installer.
If it was a problem with some plugin, when I tried to open the project without any plugin installed, the window would appear indicating the missing plugins, but even that doesn't happen, the DAW simply closes during the project preparation.

I`m having the exact same problem. And I was suspicious that the recent update is to blame. Odd that my problem started around the same time.

But having considered the advice I got on my thread and the Cakewalk team response I now think it must be a plugin.

But where to start...?! your experience of uninstalling and then adding back in plugins but still with crashes puts me off venturing down that road.

We desperately need help with this. Cakewalk is an amazing DAW. I really can`t start learing a new one.

Any advice much appreciated

I tried several ways to solve this problem and nothing was done, I was instructed to send a copy of my project for analysis, but I'm awaiting guidance for submission the person I would have to send the project from is not accepting messages.

I tried all these options, I even formatted my computer again and didn't install any plugin, in case it was a plugin problem, when not installing any, when trying to open the project it would open the missing plugins window. But the project just doesn't open!

Users who just upgraded to the new Build are not having problems, however, when doing a clean install using the full installer the problem will appear.

It is some error with the reading of the save files from the previous version.

When updating, only parts of the software are replaced, even the installer of the updates are smaller, as they use the version already installed as a base. When installing the full version as I did after formatting the computer, the problem will appear with the full installer, like the incompatibility with the file saved in a previous version.

It's likely Jon's inbox is full - we only get a certain amount of message space on here, and I'd imagine he'd be getting hammered with messages. Hang tight. :)

So you still crashed to the desktop even with the Exception severity set to 7? There might be some clues in Windows Event Viewer too in the Application section.

My money is still on a missing or overwritten system library that's causing the issue, but that's still weird on a fresh install.

13 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

It's likely Jon's inbox is full - we only get a certain amount of message space on here, and I'd imagine he'd be getting hammered with messages. Hang tight. :)

So you still crashed to the desktop even with the Exception severity set to 7? There might be some clues in Windows Event Viewer too in the Application section.

My money is still on a missing or overwritten system library that's causing the issue, but that's still weird on a fresh install.

Yes, even with the Exception severity set to 7!

I reinstalled the Plug-Ins again, and tried again to open the project, notice that the Plug-Ins loading occurs, however, when the project is going to open, it is suddenly closed.

In that three days, I formatted my computer 7 times, tried everything, reinstalled  all redistributable, and nothing working.  And it's not just a project, all the saved projects aren't opening.

But if I create a new project and save it, it will open normally. Which leads me to understand that it's a problem with the new Build's full installer, which isn't recognizing projects saved in previous versions.

And as I mentioned, because most users have upgraded to the new Build and not installed the  full new Build, they haven't noticed this problem, since the base is still the build previous.

And from what I understand, it's no use uninstalling Cakewalk and installing a new Build, as it will be residues in the registry, for the problem to appear, it's when the computer is formatted, and the installation is clean with no remnants of previous installations.

It would be nice if developers pay attention to this, as users can switch computers, and may not open their saved projects.

As I mentioned before, the Plug-Ins are the same ones I was using before installing the new Build, the Win10 ISO is the same one I used last time and it was working normally the previous version, and with or without Plug-Ins the closure happens.

Edited by Herbert Miron

It's obviously not a widespread thing or the forums would be on fire right now, so it's unlikely popped up on their radar, but you're right - this doesn't sound like a simple plugin issue at this point.

Everyone's a bit quiet at the moment and that usually means they have their head down working on something, but it won't be long until someone sticks their head in now what Mark has replied I'd say.