Internet was Down here...

cclarry

Just now, Marc Cormier said:

Ditto.  If you want deep dish...it's Giordano's.  My daughter is in Pilsen which is not close to any of their locations.  I told her if she wants me to visit, she's got to be close to one.  I guess she's telling me something...?

Marc, I completely agree!!! Although, it's considered uncool to like Giordano's, I'm right with you -- and I'm Italian-American and have an enormous love for pizza. If you are out on the Southside, the best pizza in the world is at Palermo's on 95th Street in Oak Lawn. I grew up with my aunt and uncle owning a pizza chain on the Southside, but their pizza couldn't hold a candle to Palermos. Also up there, Paisan's and in the south and western burbs, Aurellio's. 

• Like 2

Let's see if we can get @cclarry in on this. I realize a lot of non-Chicagoans don't love deep dish pizza. But more Chicagoans tend to eat thin crust anyhow. But how about you Larry, do you like the Detroit style pizza? My wife is from MN and loves Chicago pizza. She lived in the NY area, but really doesn't like their pizza. Whereas every time  I'm in NY i get their pizza. I like Chicago's best, but I love pizza, all kinds. 

• Like 1

@Marc Cormier I can't believe I just made this Giordano's connection!!!! 

Major tangent, I left my big shot with a major signed band that had a couple of hits,  because I was a very devout Christian. So, I was involved with my church and designed and led these luncheons that brought together churchgoers with the local homeless community. And I often took everyone to Giordano's because they didn't hassle homeless people coming in and dining with us. But this one young lady who had just attended our church for the first time sat down and befriended a female friend of mine and wanted pepperoni and pineapple pizza. With a mock serious expression, I said, "That is an abomination and an offense to my people! (I'm Italian-American) Eating that would shame generations of my ancestors!!!" But hey, she was cute and charming and persuaded me and I gave in. Many years later, I still have pepperoni and pineapple pizza with that woman and our two kids, and my son now regularly volunteers at a food pantry. I think that means the circle is complete? Sorry, I'm sharing too much lately. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Family had Lou Malnati's pizza last week. My daughter wanted it being in from College for Thanksgiving  break. We had  both deep dish and thin crust.

I'm spoiled by all the pizza joints within a few miles of my home.

When I almost left Chicago for a job in another state, I thought of what I would miss (1) Wrigley Field, (2) Chicago pizza and (3) Chicago blues. 

A lot of Italian-Americans have lasagna on Thanksgivings -- those memes are true! 

Edited by PavlovsCat

25 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Kingston Mines is a place to visit.

In my single days, not any time recently. Loved Buddy Guy's Blue Legends. When I went to college, I traveled the midwest as a drummer. When my bandmates were partying, I was studying -- literally. I'd do a sound check and then go backstage and study for my classes. My kids see posters and my son once said, "Wow, you must have been pretty wild in those days." Then I broke it to him that my band nicknamed me Father (and my last name) because they said I should be a priest! But I had a fulltime job selling commercial printing, doing posters for Chicago record labels and worked with Alligator (Bruce -- a total blues legend) as well as Touch and Go Records (Corey Rusk is an awesome guy who was always incredibly good to me and introduced me to the heads of every independent rock label head in Chicago; Touch & Go was Kurt Cobain's fav record label but Corey famously turned him down for a deal but signed him for a single -- I handled the poster on the single). But I got to meet some of my favorite Chicago blues artists back then. Man, that was exciting! The Alligator Records Christmas parties were a blast with all of these blues legends and Bruce would invite me. Good times. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

@Marc Cormier I can't believe I just made this Giordano's connection!!!!

What an awesome story, PC!  I don't think we'll hold the pineapple against you.  Nothing in scripture (that I can remember) that says NO to tropical fruits.

Paradise, to me, is dining in at Giordano's on Rush, around the corner from the Water Tower when The Mile is lit up for the holidays.  That's in my diary for December 22nd when I pick up my daughter for Christmas. 

When Larry does chime in, I'll be disappointed if Buddy's Pizza isn't at the top of his list of Detroit-style pizza joints.  We have Pizza Papalis in downtown that is in the same style as Giordano's but is a distant second.

• Like 3

Those of us who moved west still find the food from IL much better.  Plenty of small towns have some great eats.   I never worshiped  Giordanos the way some people do.   I grew up in a town of 4000 and there was this generation of Italians that made pizza.  I missed that pizza.  There was a pizza maker from IL who moved out here and it tastes just it.  If you are a type 2 diabetic pizza is off the list.  The difference is that these pizza makers have about 3 to 1 ratio of toppings to crust.  I can eat this pizza and not have high blood sugar. 

We also miss the small town of Utica that has a great winery.  My mom always has some shipped.

Aldis has made it our here.  I miss White Castle.  It's sacreligious to buy those frozen ones.  They are opening one in Scottsdale. I don't get that move.  Budget hamburgers in the Beverly Hills of AZ.  Really?

I miss Slotkowski Polish Sausage.

Hard liquor is affordable out here.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I miss White Castle.  It's sacreligious to buy those frozen ones. 

Hard liquor is affordable out here.

Nothing like a sack of 10 sliders.  My wife will tell you that, for reasons other than my own.  The REAL test of one's Chicago mettle is whether or not there's a bottle of Malort in your cupboard.

20 minutes ago, Marc Cormier said:

Nothing like a sack of 10 sliders.  My wife will tell you that, for reasons other than my own.  The REAL test of one's Chicago mettle is whether or not there's a bottle of Malort in your cupboard.

I was never into the Chicago mentality.   I find it funny the sports writers think the Bears are some glorious franchise because of George Halas.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Did you realize that Muddy Waters used to live in Westmont, IL (in the western burbs, as you said that's where you live)? 

Didn't know that. Yes I'm probably only 10 miles from where you reside :)

Growing up I lived by Addison and Central Ave.   Point being one bus or better yet a 6-7 mile bike ride to see the Cubs play.  My Aunt knew some Sisters/nuns who live in a Convent not too far away from Wrigley Field and we were able to park and lock our bikes there and walk on over. Spent the whole day around Wrigley Field several times in the summer when we were early teens.

Man, we are all so very prone to tangents in this group! (Of course, I am including myself in that statement.) Hahaha! Pizza, check. Bears, check. White Castles (actually based out of Ohio), check. Wrigley Field, check. I love harmless, friendly tangents.

My wife is from MN. She loves Chicago pizza and the Cubs -- I've made her a convert -- but remains a hardcore Vikings fan. I took her to White Castles when we were dating once, she threw up (and no, she wasn't drinking, she's not much of a drinker). I told her that's just the human body building immunity.  She still refuses to eat it again. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Marc Cormier said:

I somehow never really knew about this stuff and while I have traveled around the world -- literally -- with some small exceptions, I have lived in the Chicago area my entire life. But I missed this. Interesting.  But I'm not much of a drinker. That's not a criticism against it. I have a neighbor that loves good whisky and invites me over for a drink, and I'll enjoy a glass or two with him, but I've probably had no more than a dozen drinks during the entire year.  Back when I was a working musician, I had a habit of having two gin and tonics before I went on stage and stopped there. When I was 18 or so, the age I started playing out at night clubs, etc., I drank too much and my timing was terrible and I was really frustrated at myself because I just wasn't playing very good. Funny enough, my bandmates didn't even seem to care. But it really bothered me, so I started my two drinks rule. But since I had kids, I usually don't even drink two in a week or even a month -- unless it's summer time and I'm walking past my neighbor's house and he's having a drink! 

Edited by PavlovsCat

I had no idea this existed until another parent in the kids' marching band told me about it.  He got a bottle during his last visit and about 6 couple from the marching band had a shot.  It's kind of like the stinky fish challenge - some can keep it down, others not.  Me...well, since having COVID in March I can't taste or smell a thing so everyone was well impressed that I didn't flinch.  I don't drink hard liquor so even my wife was impressed.  Gotta get me a bottle, I suppose, for Festivus and the Feats of Strength ceremony.