Internet was Down here...

cclarry

4 hours ago, cclarry said:

Woke up at the usual time...but internet was down...
Just now came back on...we got our first snow of the season.

BTW...I HATE SNOW!

That would be a blessing except for the snow.  Plus you would also know what software you have that tracks you onine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

I don't hate SNOW but I do HATE shoveling SNOW!  Even with a Snow-thrower

YES....just show me picture and I'm good!  It's pretty..
but I don't want to shovel it, snow blow it, drive in it, 
walk in it, or anything else to do with it...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cclarry said:

Woke up at the usual time...but internet was down...
Just now came back on...we got our first snow of the season.

BTW...I HATE SNOW!

I can relate to both. We have Comcast, which is the fastest internet service in our area but often unreliable. I don't necessarily hate the snow, but I hate when the temperatures get at 20 degrees or below. Still, I'm not ready for Florida. I'll take San Diego weather. However, I live in Chicago. 

26 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

However, I live in Chicago

Hope you asked for a Bullet Proof Vest for Christmas ;)

I can say that as I'm in the far Western Suburbs of Chi-Town.  I never thought the crazies would start shooting drivers on the Expressways!  My kids refuse to go downtown now and crossed any University in Chicago-land area off their list.

1 hour ago, InstrEd said:

Hope you asked for a Bullet Proof Vest for Christmas ;)

I can say that as I'm in the far Western Suburbs of Chi-Town.  I never thought the crazies would start shooting drivers on the Expressways!  My kids refuse to go downtown now and crossed any University in Chicago-land area off their list.

I also live in the far western burbs.

I grew up on the Southside of Chicago, the son of a cop and police union leader. I've spent a good deal of my life on the Southside and volunteering helping the homeless and food insecure. I lost my closest family member, my youngest sister, to a gangbanger choosing a random victim (a pregnant 26 year old). Sadly, there's a long history of gangbangers and kids with rocks killing drivers on the Dan Ryan. It's a sad, complex problem that's a bit beyond a quick conversation here.  But the problem isn't really downtown Chicago, it's in the poorest areas of the city, largely on the south and west sides. When I was in Beijing on business years ago I had my driver take us through the poorest ghettos that the government tried to hide. Sadly, the poorest areas on the Southside of Chicago where most of the gang shootings occur are in worse condition, just depressing. When we start seeing it as all of our problem and not the problem of a certain race of people, I think we'll have a much better chance at solving the problem. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I can relate to both. We have Comcast, which is the fastest internet service in our area but often unreliable. I don't necessarily hate the snow, but I hate when the temperatures get at 20 degrees or below. Still, I'm not ready for Florida. I'll take San Diego weather. However, I live in Chicago. 

Live in the AZ desert. I use to cal them Concast.   One thing  I had hopes going from the Midwest to the West was not always having a dirty windshield.  It's worse out here. Dust is as annoying as snow except it's year round.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Live in the AZ desert. I use to cal them Concast.   One thing  I had hopes going from the Midwest to the West was not always having a dirty windshield.  It's worse out here. Dust is as annoying as snow except it's year round.

Okay, I'll go with on this tangent! I did once contemplate a job in AZ and I have a nephew who lives there. I have been there a few times on business. But I don't love the weather. Definitely too hot and dry for me. Where in the midwest?  I would imagine that would be a HUGE adjustment. At least it would be for me. Places I'd love to move  -- anywhere in New Zealand, Vancover or San Diego.  

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

Okay, I'll go with on this tangent! I did once contemplate a job in AZ and I have a nephew who lives there. I have been there a few times on business. But I don't love the weather. Definitely too hot and dry for me. Where in the midwest?  I would imagine that would be a HUGE adjustment. At least it would be for me. Places I'd love to move  -- anywhere in New Zealand, Vancover or San Diego.  

It was IL.

3 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I can vouch for New Zealand 🙂 Best thing we ever did was move here, and I can't think of anywhere better to raise kids (said as someone with a decent job...child poverty rates here are awful). But I'm sorry to hear all this about Chicago (and, obviously, about your sister which is unimaginably awful). I always loved going to conferences in the city and was amazed at how safe I felt downtown (though I guess the Magnificent Mile is heavily policed, and I was going there from Fresno!)

So sad to read about your sister, PC. Used to go to Chicago for a conference, didn’t like the Mile, but loved the smaller streets and alleys. Amazing architecture, Mies van der Rohe, Frank Lloyd Wright. Sometime wandered southbound but never realized it could get that bad. Still, a wonderful city for music and food. Even that un-pizza from Uno’s. Didn’t try Lou Malnati, though. 

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

So sad to read about your sister, PC. Used to go to Chicago for a conference, didn’t like the Mile, but loved the smaller streets and alleys. Amazing architecture, Mies van der Rohe, Frank Lloyd Wright. Sometime wandered southbound but never realized it could get that bad. Still, a wonderful city for music and food. Even that un-pizza from Uno’s. Didn’t try Lou Malnati, though. 

Funny, the Magnificent Mile is all about shopping! It should be a natural for people in this forum. but yeah, those are different kinds of deals. As far as Illinoisans who rip on Chicago/IL and talk about crime, it's a hyperpolitical and racial thing they're saying (Black crime) that everyone from Illinois is very familiar with -- social media is overflowing with those posts, it's really cliché at this post, but folks keep doing that rant anyhow. The shootings aren't at their highest levels this year they were worse in the 90s and 80s. There is another agenda behind those complaints which is incredibly hyperpartisan and racial (Chicago has a Black mayor who is the target of the exaggerations by this hyperpartisan and very racially focused group). Chicago is still a nice city, but some folks trying to push an agenda like to engage in coded racial and hyperpartisan messaging.  I'll leave it there. Chicago is still a nice city, but the sections with high poverty tend to also have high crime. It's been that way for decades like many other big cities. 

I love Lou Malnati's thin crust, not their deep dish. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

33 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I love Lou Malnati's thin crust, not their deep dish. 

Ditto.  If you want deep dish...it's Giordano's.  My daughter is in Pilsen which is not close to any of their locations.  I told her if she wants me to visit, she's got to be close to one.  Guess she's telling me something...?

Edited by Marc Cormier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1