Transfer entire projet folder...

Dreamer

Hello everyone!

I'm still using Sonar 8.5, (although installed, I still haven't had time to figure out the new Bandlab yet). Anyway, I've built a new computer with Win 10, (my older one is Win 7). I've installed Sonar into both with no issues. My older Computer has 110 GB worth of projects contained in the project folder. Some are per project, most are random. I want to transfer that entire project folder into the new computer, or at the very least everything I've ever done in Sonar from my old computer to the new one.

Short cuts? Ideas?

Thanks guys....

There are a few ways to go about doing this.

One way is to use an external hard drive and copy and paste it to the external hard drive. Then hook up the external hard drive to your new PC and copy and paste is to you new project folder location.

Another way is to take the internal hard drive out of the old PC and hook it up to your new pc and copy and paste it the folder to its new location

• Like 1

And also can copy via LAN connection if those PCs belong to same network.

BTW, I don't know "shortcut" is meaning what. Meaning easy way or saving copying time? I think it depends on that priority.

You can always mount your old hard drive inside your new computer and save the digital transfer time.  

Also, If you have a project from 8.5 that you want to work on in Cakewalk by Bandlab, make a copy of the project file (right click the project file, copy, paste) and rename ‘project name - Cakewalk’ that way you still have the 8.5 version intact should the transfer not work perfectly or for a reference or older plugin settings etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HIBI said:

And also can copy via LAN connection if those PCs belong to same network.

Tried that and got many errors. I'm going to try the external drive method. I wont remove the drive on the old set up because it is still a fine tuned excellent set up. Its just that my new 64bit system did not include the option for Win 7 or 32 bits, (the MOBO was strictly a Win 10 64 bit bit system). In addition to a lot of the software and plugins I use are no longer supported past Win 7.

Bet sure to copy your Global Audio Folder over too, as some older projects may have their project audio stored there from when before the "Copy all audio with project" option came about (or maybe wasn't checked when you saved).

What I did recently, is go through all my old projects (some as far back as Cakewalk ProAudio 7) and save them all again as CbB projects.

I kept a copy of the old projects as they were, but only the converted projects are now in my main project directory.

I found a far more reliable way of loading old projects was to create a new project (based on the "Basic" template), drag the old project in from the media browser, and then save it with a new name.

Dragging in from the media browser has a number of advantages:

• It's more tolerant of any issues with out of date/missing plugins etc
  • The master bus, preview bus & metronome are present as with any normal CbB project
  • The ProChannel is enabled and available on all audio tracks

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Bet sure to copy your Global Audio Folder over too, as some older projects may have their project audio stored there from when before the "Copy all audio with project" option came about (or maybe wasn't checked when you saved).

OK...so were is this Global Audio Folder located?

4 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

OK...so were is this Global Audio Folder located?

Check your Preferences under File->Audio

The default is C:\Cakewalk Projects\Audio Data

You probably want to copy over the picture folder too:

C:\Cakewalk Projects\Picture Cache

Hey thanks guys. Tried the external drive and still got issues with not being able to open any projects transferred just as before.

But aparantly Win 10 gives you a prompt to open the project in "Safe Mode" by holding the shift key down when opening the project. This works! But one has to save the project again if you want to avoid the "Cant open this file...may be corrupted...old version...blah, blah, blah..issues.

I know the per project save is a work-around but I've got 110 GB worth of projects on my old computer and that would take up too much time. That's why I wanted to do a one shot transfer of the entire project folder.

Thanks again fellas...Someday I'll get around to BandLab, but I've owned too many Cakewalk programs since the early days and I'm tired of killing time re-learning stuff. I'd  rather spend that time making music. It's installed in one of my Desktops and it looked frightening. Just like every other Cakewalk DAW I've ever opened the first time...LOL!

Edited by Dreamer

I suggest transferring the physical drive to your new computer or to an external drive enclosure and continue to use it as your project drive. Just create the audio drive path under preferences. I did this with  a ton of Sonar 5 projects from an older XP based computer - and just continued to use it.  I've never had an issue with an older WRK file opening. I'm using Win7 though.... maybe Win 10 would give me headaches.

9 hours ago, RBH said:

I suggest transferring the physical drive to your new computer or to an external drive enclosure and continue to use it as your project drive. ...... I'm using Win7 though.... maybe Win 10 would give me headaches.

Naw, cant move that drive its the "C" drive, (it's got the OPS in it). Win10 is a pain. Like any other OPS it's a learning curve. Getting it to run as the user likes is the first hump. Too many restrictions built upon "security" crap. I have my own network and I'm pretty savy with my stuff. Besides nobody touches it but me. I hate it with the permissions crap between computers in the same network. There's no on/off switch its just procedures and processes. That's how WIN 10 seems clunky. But I guess once you set it up past these problems it works just as well as WIN 7.