Might be of interest...

cclarry

32 minutes ago, antler said:

Studio One: "too many updates, and paying for every single one of them"... huh? the updates are free

Yup, wondered what he was thinking about Studio One there... but otherwise his list was about what I expected.

I tried FL Studio some years ago, but couldn't work with it. According to his survey, FL Studio is #1 for EDM, so I guess that EDM producers must be the biggest DAW market these days.

• Like 1

Not surprised FL is #1 bit I doubt the pros say this.  It's not the traditional workflow but it gets as deep as Reaper.

Anyone can make these best DAW videos. It's easy to find lack of knowledge in this video.

These should be separated from those who make money off their work and the hobbyist.

Such things for the hobbyist involved are licensing, long term cost, frequency of updates, support.  This is where FL and Reaper rule,  You engage with the developers.

I find Cubase totally annoying opening and also having to close twice.

Live Suite upgrade is overpriced considering much of it is not updated.  There are some dance producers who have ditched Live for Logic.  My assumption is it s more desktop friendly.

Silly things I've read is the reason why Live and FL are possible is they are easily cracked.  One will call a DAW a toy. Well they are all toys to me anyway.  The worst fanboys I've seen are Reason and Finale users.  They remind me of Steam forums.

4 minutes ago, abacab said:

Yup, wondered what he was thinking about Studio One there... but otherwise his list was about what I expected.

I tried FL Studio some years ago, but couldn't work with it. According to his survey, FL Studio is #1 for EDM, so I guess that EDM producers must be the biggest DAW market these days.

It's been that way for awhile.  How many traditional  DAW forums will you see complaints are the upgrades are for EDM producers.

26 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

How many traditional  DAW forums will you see complaints are the upgrades are for EDM producers.

I noticed that with the Studio One v4 release. Their forum lit up with comments from "traditional" users complaining that most of the new features rolled out by PreSonus were aimed at "non-musicians", i.e., "producers".

PreSonus is shipping Studio One 4, a major update to the company’s award-winning, easy-to-use DAW that combines the best of the traditional recording studio model with the modern methods of creating beat- and groove-oriented music.

Top-of-the-line Studio One 4 Professional’s new Harmonic Editing features give you freedom to try out harmonies, transpositions, and chord progressions. The Chord Track goes far beyond a simple chord track for note data, working with instrument tracks and audio tracks for fast, efficient, multi-dimensional arranging and transposition. An ingenious Chord Selector makes it easy to experiment with new chord patterns and ideas. Built-in chord detection extracts chords from audio or instrument tracks. The combination of Harmonic Editing and Studio One’s Arranger Track and Scratch Pads makes Studio One the most flexible program ever for arranging and testing out new song ideas.

The step sequencer has served us well but it’s time for a fresh approach. Studio One Patterns, found in all editions of Studio One 4, integrate with Instrument Parts and automation, offering many more expressive possibilities than typical step sequencers. Patterns can live side-by-side with conventional Instrument Parts on the same track.

Studio One 4’s Musical Editor adds deeper editing features, speeds up the editing workflow, and simplifies recurring tasks. An innovative, streamlined Drum Editor enables editing drum parts as fast as you can think.

Impact XT adds more than 20 new features, transforming the Impact drum module into a complete production environment for beats and loops. Sample One XT has expanded from sample playback into a sampling powerhouse and features a wealth of synthesis-type options. In addition, you can drag-and-drop samples between Sample One XT and Impact XT

Edited by abacab

Cubase has features that no other DAW has  and that's why so many of the world's greatest composers use it. 

He can't install it and so that's it?   End of story? 

I feel sorry for the man. His life must be so sad, with all the wonderful things he misses out on because he gives up too soon.

Seriously, I think it's unfortunate for him to guide people away from Cubase because he can't install it. He is well aware that zillions of other people can do it. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Zo said:

The only thing surprising in this video is that people still using 1024 x 768 screens lol 

It's pretty handy for US with severe vision problems.  Some are finding outside of gaming and video editing hi res is overrated unless you like the look of tiny font and knobs that make  you think you are losing your eyesight. 

Hopefully more developers will make resizable GUIs. They will charge for them and call em upgrades.

• Like 2

The comments here are just as narrow as this ranking. The idea that it's hobbyists driving that opinion is nonsense. If anything , the part of that which rings true is that like the huge athletic shoe industry, amateur athletes outnumber exponentially , but it is the success of pro athletes that drives the appeal.FL is not my choice of DAW, but the number of charting hits produced in FL is long and undeniable.  For EDM, Ableton and FL are simply used by too many known producers in the genre.  Hip-hop and pop that is heavily hip-hop influenced ( like Ariana Grande, Doja Cat and the weeknd) have producers that create in FL or Ableton and then have those tracks mixed in Pro Tools.  And make no mistake, almost every mainstream song ends up in pro tools.

This brings us to the point that many top producers use more than one way of producing . London (producer for Ariana Grande's Position) has been shown doing work in Ableton, Akai MPC and other equipment.  It's no secret that most of Billie Eilish's songs are produced and mixed in Logic.  These lists are made to create division among people who think their own worth is rooted in popularity of DAW.  For the most part, any song can be made in any DAW. 

• Like 1

I suppose anything can be made in any DAW, but something like Ableton has unique qualities that make it really useful for loop-oriented music.   I love Ableton. 

On the other hand, orchestral composers rely on the articulation maps in Cubase.   I suppose you could write a symphony in Ableton.  Definitely you could do it, but it's not using what's really great about Ableton.  And it would be much easier to do on other DAWs.

There is a big part of the industry that is aimed at EZ.   Toontrack and ujam and Studio One are going after that target.    Needless complexity is not good, but sometimes there's no way around learning something.  Because you can do more if you know more.  This guy hits a bump in the road and heads hom.e

There's a certain type of person who is best served by Reaper.  Nothing else would be as satisfying for that person.   And so on...

We're all different.  We all make different kinds of music in different ways.  I think it's ridiculous to say that one tool is better than another.  For who?  At what time? 

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

It's pretty handy for US with severe vision problems.  Some are finding outside of gaming and video editing hi res is overrated unless you like the look of tiny font and knobs that make  you think you are losing your eyesight. 

Hopefully more developers will make resizable GUIs. They will charge for them and call em upgrades.

a 15 inch low reso will be equivalent as a bigger 1440 for exemple , people think resolution without size ,  my 24 " 1900 *1200 was perfect for my eyes so i went 27 with 1440 , same stuff , more productivity .....

My favorite DAWs that I am trying to dig a bit deeper into are Studio One 5 Pro, and Ableton Live 11 Suite. I've been easing into it, and keeping up with the latest versions, but it's a huge learning curve coming from Cakewalk, LOL! I made the commitment to switch DAWs back when Gibson bailed out, but BandLab has made that effort difficult by constantly making Cakewalk better!  I still tend to grab CbB first when I want to do something quickly with a few instruments. It's the muscle memory thing... :)

So if I wanted to do some experimental sound design and composing pattern based music, I would start with Live.

Or if I wanted to do a larger project with an arrangement using a conventional track template, console view, MIDI editor with key switches, and possibly some music notation, it would definitely be Studio One for me.

• Like 3

I mostly use studio one now. If I did orchestral more I would probably lean more towards Cubase, although I have seen some amazing orchestral work in FL. I have been using MPC more for certain types of hip hop and lo-fi. I find some DAWs are more intuitive for certain genres than others, but that it is hardly set in stone. I think FL has one of the better if not the best Piano roll view.