Editing audio in a long video

steve trusty

Is it possible to import a video (mp4) in cakewalk for audio editing? Some parts are out of sync with the video which isn’t too big of a deal.. 

The main and most important thing I want to to do is clean up some distortion and eq old home Videos (vhs tapes). I have plugins that would easily fit the bill. Just not sure how to use them other than importing into cakewalk. 

They are lengthy tapes, some around 5 hours long. 

Thanks ahead for time. 

Yes, I import mp4 all the time.

Go to Views/Video - Right Click on the video window - Insert - Browse for your video file.

The import dialog allow you to choose importing video only or video+audio

It should import your video into CW, and place the audio in a new audio track for further processing.

The bit that is not so clear to me is the length of the video (5 hours is REALLY long!) - not sure if the audio will sync across the whole of the video. 

Screenshot_1.png

• Thanks 1

What video editing software do you have?  Most of the semi pro editing software will have audio editing built in. Movie Studio ( Sony Vegas) even has a way to open the audio track in any Wave editing app and comes with Sound Forge. 
I haven’t tried it but it probably could be set to open in Cakewalk

But even better is most of my Plug in’s I use in Cakewalk work in the effects bin of Movie Studio. 

My experience with Cakewalk and movies was pretty negative so I’ve not used it for videos for a few years now. 

Probably a Black Friday deal on Movie Studio right now. I paid $30. 

• Thanks 1

I appreciate all the replies and help. I’ve typically used some old YouTube editing software, I forget the exact name. Ive also used imovie. I’ve only done music videos in the past. I have long needed to switch though and will go through and see which of the ones suggested works for me. I don’t mind paying, just not crazy about subscription models. 

Thanks again

It’s one thing I like about movie studios registration system. Super straight forward. They give you a simple serial number which is good for 2 installs. Simply uninstall the software from a computer and the license shows as available on your account page. 
Also just like the old Sonar your account page shows all your Magix products and serials. This includes the older versions if you update. I updated from 14 to 17 for I think $50. Now I have 4 licenses. 2 for 14 and 2 for 17. I installed 14 on my 12 year old grandsons computer no problem. Try that with Cubase! 

On 11/26/2021 at 6:03 PM, SteveT said:

Is it possible to import a video (mp4) in cakewalk for audio editing? Some parts are out of sync with the video which isn’t too big of a deal.. 

The main and most important thing I want to to do is clean up some distortion and eq old home Videos (vhs tapes). I have plugins that would easily fit the bill. Just not sure how to use them other than importing into cakewalk. 

They are lengthy tapes, some around 5 hours long. 

Thanks ahead for time. 

There is a great video editor tool called Davinci Resolve. It is very professional and completely free!! It is however a very large download so I don't know if you have space but it's only about a GB. It functions similar to Premiere Pro and it also has a great audio editor with a mixer. There are also tons of tutorials. It's like an audio editor built into a video editor. Maybe try it out?