Please share your thoughts. The ultimate objective of Black Friday for me is....

PavlovsCat

My BF objective is to (try and) curb my purchases in 2022 to almost $0.00.

Except for ToonTrack products where I typically buy kits on release (sometimes I get to use prepaid MIDI serials for EZD, EZK,  and I still have 2 EZM serials as well. I even have one prepaid EZKeys expansion serial. As of today I own the full ToonTrack line.

I might buy the odd sample library if it's really unique.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Esteban Villanova said:

I bought a used Mexican Fender Strat with a Floyd Rose that I'm still paying so I couldn't get anything. To curve my itch I installed some free plugins from the KVR Developer Challenge. There's some great stuff in there. I also reinstalled some Kontakt libraries that I didn't remember where I'd  bought them. Tronsonic libraries are amazing!

Never a mistake to start your purchases off with a musical instrument that you love. I suspect that you will derive more hours of enjoyment and spiritual satisfaction from it than …say… the Split EQ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I just want to say that I couldn't care less what Larry's politics are.  He's doing this insane hard work for all of us and at the same time Social Security is breaking his balls.  I relate, and I've told him that.  

He's my friend and I am very glad I know him.

Pretty much agree here. I won’t  pretend that I don’t care about politics…I do. And can’t say I’m anywhere close to Larry’s views….I’m not. Larry does perform an outstanding job on this forum however, and I think many of us have had experiences with difficult bureaucracies , whether they be governmental or corporate in nature. I don’t even see that alone  as being a right wing or left wing thing. As for the overtly political part of all this, we would certainly be best off just  parking it at the door.

Edited by LAGinz
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I just want to say that I couldn't care less what Larry's politics are.  He's doing this insane hard work for all of us and at the same time Social Security is breaking his balls.  I relate, and I've told him that.  

He's my friend and I am very glad I know him.

I agree 100%. I just don't like to see a double standard enforced where a noobie can close down a thread with a single Obamaha joke, while another thread with multiple political postings gets a pass. And just to be clear, I do not want this thread shut down at all.

Edited by Doug Rintoul
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

It is ironic that people who come to a deal forum could be averse to sales.

It does seem strange but in my case, I started my community for two reasons: I have a lot of developers who are very good friends who I personally have seen affected by piracy. Many people don't seem to understand that this isn't a multi-billion dollar film industry and that the production industry is actually very niche and filled mainly with normal people making products they hope to sell enough copies of to get by on. More than one of my friends have had to close up shop when their products stopped selling. I'm also not interested in any moral debate on the topic so I will leave it at that.

The second was to introduce people to the fact that they could indeed occasionally afford many of these products on a budget. 

At first, this whole thing started out as something to do an hour a day while I would be referencing tracks or something along those lines. Now I take the entire month of November off my calendar and only work on odds and ends in the studio to post sales much like Larry does here and Reid does over on VI-C.

That said, I don't like sales for the reasons in my last post. That doesn't mean I won't take advantage of them when they come up because I'm terribly frugal. lol

Though this year, I've not even had the time to look at most of them...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Batwaffel said:

It does seem strange but in my case, I started my community for two reasons: I have a lot of developers who are very good friends who I personally have seen affected by piracy. Many people don't seem to understand that this isn't a multi-billion dollar film industry and that the production industry is actually very niche and filled mainly with normal people making products they hope to sell enough copies of to get by on. More than one of my friends have had to close up shop when their products stopped selling. I'm also not interested in any moral debate on the topic so I will leave it at that.

The second was to introduce people to the fact that they could indeed occasionally afford many of these products on a budget. 

At first, this whole thing started out as something to do an hour a day while I would be referencing tracks or something along those lines. Now I take the entire month of November off my calendar and only work on odds and ends in the studio to post sales much like Larry does here and Reid does over on VI-C.

That said, I don't like sales for the reasons in my last post. That doesn't mean I won't take advantage of them when they come up because I'm terribly frugal. lol

Though this year, I've not even had the time to look at most of them...

Don't the wrong idea, I just appreciate irony! To each his own. As for me, as I mentioned, I tend to wait to buy until Black Friday, and this one worked out well for me -- I was looking for KONTAKT cello and solo string libraries and found some great deals from Fluffy Audio and 8Dio, so I'm happy. Where do you post your deals at? Just out of curiosity, between Larry's and Reid's posts, I think I have enough to watch! 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, LAGinz said:

we would certainly be best off just  parking it at the door.

Most definitely.

10 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

see a double standard enforced where a noobie can close down a thread

Agreed.

6 minutes ago, Zo said:

Was into buying bass stuff  , i'm testing limters and reverbs as i type :( 

Stay focused Danielson!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Trying demos over the span of a few days 🙂 instead of getting caught up in impulsive consumerism and asking myself if I need it or just want it

This is my favorite anti-hoarding tactic.

For instance: I said earlier in this thread that I was going to buy Chromaphone, but I'm messing with the demo and several of the preset patches (which are my primary motivation, it's like getting 10 soundpacks for $89) are unusable on my laptop. True, it comes with over 1000 patches and very few of them cause trouble, but I don't like buying things that stretch the limits of my systems that far. It pushes me into the idea that I need to upgrade my computers, etc. I may try String Studio and see what's up with it. The attacks on many of the Chromaphone presets have hard attacks, which of course shows off the technology, but I'm trying to do ambient ear candy, and have less use for sounds that poke out like that.

So due to the demo, I went from drooling 100% sure on Chromaphone to....well, I dunno, maybe, but let's check out the other one.

• Like 2

I completely agree and relate to what you both wrote @User 905133 and @Starship Krupa. Historically, I never bothered to download demos and would buy based on good demo songs. But in the last year or so, I've started downloading and trying out demos before buying plugins (when they're available) and it's resulted in keeping me from purchasing plugins I likely would not have used had I purchased them. It's definitely a very good tip. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
Fixing grammatical errors.
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

I stepped away from computer music for almost 2 years, focused on instruments and, even braved a couple of open mic nights  to sing and play guitar (even though i am far from thinking of of my self a as singer). Got my new computer fixed and went into Black Friday with 2  aims. Get the last AD2 kit I  wanted (mallets because I like acoustics sounds with my electronic) and to upgrade  melodyne Studio because chords tracks and all the functions are something I really want Cakewalk to have, and seem melodyne incorporate just seemed a major plus for creativity. 

I didn't want to buy any instruments or FX, I have enough, but things to help the workflow and creativity would fit my goals

But first I picked up was shimmer shaker strike, which although an instrument, is one that compliments my go to percussion and being able to create a quick realistic percussion vibe felt a creative choice.

Then I grabbed Scaler. I use a midi Chords plugin, but Scaler 2.5 looks to encourage interesting progressions and would fit with Melodyne chord tracks (and hopefully Cakewalks when it gets there)

XLN's XO was a spur of the moment decision, but I like step sequencers and if it's process can take me down some different avenues, then it's fits my aim, for creative plugs (no Instruments/FX)

I did look at upgrading my Applied Acoustics collection, and my TH3, but they're fine. I can come back to these in the future if I really feel the need. 

The complete curve ball (if you'll allow me to borrow the expression) was seeing a 15% off something I didn't know existed, but for much more expensive versions. I've wanted a midi vibraphone for decades but they are like 4 grand. But this one isn't, and I due to make an order wit Thomann for 2 synths shortly, so the shipping is split (if they don't up the shipping that is). I'm still on the fence, it's pushing my budget, but I think it comes off sale tomorrow, so I'll have to pull the trigger soon if I will

em1.jpg.91aaf8066020e4f006a98df560a605fd.jpg

Edited by Kamikaze
  • Like 1

Objective is to create a list of $25,000 worth of software I want, then spend $100 on something I don't want (omg, 60GB of ambient drones for $5.99! That's ten cents a drone! Amazing deal!), and then next week realize I should have bought something I needed, cause now I need it and it's full price. 

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Like 1

What I enjoy about this thread is learning how much we all have in common though we may be located in many different places, there's a great deal of commonality amongst us. And a lot of us are trying to spend less money. Of course, this forum is the worst place to be if you're trying to not spend -- it's temptation central. I'm in that same boat trying not to spend much and constantly having to make sure I don't get too tempted. I also find interesting how many of us left music for a while and came back. Same here. Not because I wasn't in love with music. I had a repetitive stress injury that stopped me from playing professionally. 

Edited by PavlovsCat