PlugInGuru: Unify $69 / 51% off all libraries (excluding Planet Pluck)

Bad Penguin

Unify is ON SALE for $69 from NOW until Monday, November 29th at Midnight PST!

Unify (Standard Edition)

Unify sounds interesting, but even after going through the website, I really am uncertain at the end of the day what it actually does.

Something about being able to layer patches from different plugins?

But only for their listed "Master List of the our 35 Unified Libraries" ?

• Like 2

I think I understand that Unify itself comes with patches/sounds, and there are 35(?) free [you need to own the specific Plug-In] "unified" libraries (brainworx, cherry audio, gforce, LABS). . .

and then they are additionally trying to sell extra patches/sounds (Serum, Omnisphere, NI, BreakTweaker)

but I am baffled by their selling of "DiscoverStation" for BBCSO. Is this just a paid version of "unification" while the LABS "unification" is free?

So, if you don't own (m)any of the 35 free "unified" libraries, all you really are getting is a bunch of patches/sounds?

Edited by Bad Penguin

Unify is so powerful, it’s difficult to explain.  It can load other VSTs, so you can layer multiple instruments together which can be the same or different VSTs. When they “Unify” a VST, it means the factory presets in that VST have a corresponding Unify preset. This allows you to quickly layer multiple instances of that VST within Unify. You still need to own that VST.

So you can load one preset and that preset loads 5 Omnisphere presets, 2 Serum, 3 DiscoverStations, etc. And then you could add others, swap some, play their own MIDI sequences, have different VST audio effects, etc. Oh yeah, you can load multiple Unify presets inside a Unify preset! 

It is somewhat like a DAW within a DAW. It can have it’s own MIDI files, VST effects, etc. It can split keyboards for each VST. It has it’s own MIDI routing capabilites. Pretty insane and a steal for all it does.

• Like 2

Falcon is a GREAT synth but it has a tragic flaw.   The whole design of it is to layer lots of stuff into one complex patch.  Brilliant.  But it doesn't work.  You want to layer patches but it only uses one core at a time.  So it uses massive system resources and forget it.   Unify is multi-core, so you can load many Falcon patches in it and save a preset there.  It works!  Unify shows what Falcon can be!  

During BF I load my new libraries and effects into Unify.  You don't have to scan (although that's very fast), you just drag the .dll file in and you're good to go.   No dealing with Cubase.

But Unify is well worth it just for the stuff that comes with it.  You get a lot of wonderful patches from John Lehmkuhl's career as a sound designer.  So many of my come-with Unify stuff ends up in my templates of favorite things.  Love the ambient guitars.

You can think of it as a rompler with super powers.

And they keep making it more powerful with numerous added features.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Falcon is a GREAT synth but it has a tragic flaw.   The whole design of it is to layer lots of stuff into one complex patch.  Brilliant.  But it doesn't work.  You want to layer patches but it only uses one core at a time.  So it uses massive system resources and forget it.   Unify is multi-core, so you can load many Falcon patches in it and save a preset there.  It works!  Unify shows what Falcon can be!  

During BF I load my new libraries and effects into Unify.  You don't have to scan (although that's very fast), you just drag the .dll file in and you're good to go.   No dealing with Cubase.

But Unify is well worth it just for the stuff that comes with it.  You get a lot of wonderful patches from John Lehmkuhl's career as a sound designer.  So many of my come-with Unify stuff ends up in my templates of favorite things.  Love the ambient guitars.

You can think of it as a rompler with super powers.

And they keep making it more powerful with numerous added features.

Reid,

Unify is really difficult to explain, isn’t it? There really is no VST comparison. It’s funny. The only reason I originally got it was to be able to load a MIDI effect plugin like an arp and an instrument on one track. It’s like buying a Macbook because it does email. LOL

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great responses!

Sorry if this was answered and I didn't understand the answer.

So, for Spitfire, the LABS are "unified" for free, but if someone want to "unify" BBCSO (including the free BBCSO Discover), then they have to pay for "DiscoverStation" (which will also do Core and Professional) ?

Yes, also disappointed it is not being bundled with a library.

Edited by Bad Penguin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bad Penguin said:

Thanks for all the great responses!

Sorry if this was answered and I didn't understand the answer.

So, for Spitfire, the LABS are "unified" for free, but if someone want to "unify" BBCSO (including the free BBCSO Discover), then they have to pay for "DiscoverStation" (which will also do Core and Professional) ?

Correct 

5 hours ago, Bad Penguin said:

The BBCSO Discoverstation library for Unify expands on the preset library provided with the base Spitfire BBCSO Discover. So there are the unified instrument presets, plus additional presets, layers (multis), BPM patches, etc.

https://www.pluginguru.com/products/discoverstation-corestation-unify-bbcso/

More than 185 Patches (depending on the library) and 397 MIDI Files go together to bring you a multitude of different ways to use the instruments of these Orchestral plug-ins. Combining multiple sections and instruments to make – say – the entire string orchestra play a certain articulation. We also layer many different instruments to make lovely combination patches and then….. we dive off the deep end. There is easily more than 1/2 this library being driven by MULTIPLE MIDIBoxes playing custom MIDI Files that work both for single note = instant film score as well as rhythmic patterns which MIDIBox allows you to play polyphonically. THEN we start creating different MIDI Files for different instruments in the same ensemble and then you have a complete orchestra with 20+ plug-ins playing and you are conducting with the 8 realtime knobs to vary the mix in unique ways. We’re very excited with this library because it shows maybe the best example of the RAW power of Unify to make a single plug-in better in unique and inspiring ways than it is by itself.

Edited by abacab

With Unify, a monophonic synth plugin can even be used as a polyphonic synth within a Unify patch! :)

For example the "Unified" library for the monophonic synth Newfangled Audio Pendulate (free), has some patches that will play polyphonic pads.

For example, Unify can do this with a tool included in Unify called "PolyBox" to link 8 mono plugin voice layers (2-16 are available) within an 8 voice Unify layer.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bad Penguin said:

Could this, or something else useful, be done using Arturia V Collection?

Do what exactly? You can layer two synths in Analog Lab. But the V instruments themselves are not multitimbral. However, as far as I can tell, all Arturia V models are polyphonic, even the Moog Mini V3 and the ARP 2600 V3, which were originally vintage monophonic synths.

Unify is more like a DAW host, with an unlimited synth rack, but without tracking/recording. When using Unify as a plugin within your DAW, you can utilize the DAW features to accomplish recording.

Edited by abacab