Audiosnap detecting pointless "beats"

Sion Jones

After all these years, it's rather frustrating that audiosnap is still detencting entirely spurious transients. Every bass guitar note has at least two, if not three transients detected at the start of every bass note. Going through these manually and deleting them takes up almost as much time as just manually entering them yourself.

What on earth is going on? The filter threshold and resolution don't do anything to help (and I can;t recall a time it ever actually did, to be honest).

Anyone else annoyed by this?

Yep, this is still a big problem with AudioSnap. If the material is clean between each transient, the detection is pretty good, especially now with the new detection algorithm that came in recently, but the moment there's any kind of noise between those transients, you can have wildly wrong markers appearing at random points.

I've put in a feature request for pre-filtering and gate before the audio hits the detection routine, so hopefully that's in the queue when the time comes around the taking another look at AudioSnap.

In the meantime, what I tend to do is duplicate the track I want to adjust, EQ and gate that track so it's dead silent between each hit, run AudioSnap on that - which generally works great - and then copying the transient makers over to the track you want to actually work on, then delete the duplicate track. It's a few more steps initially but it can save hours cleaning up rogue markers all through your track.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

The other option is to load the clip into Melodyne and do any timing corrections in there, since it has different detection methods.

The new detection algorithm in AudioSnap is definitely much better than it was but there's most definitely room for tweaking, or other algorithms specifically for problem instruments.

It's looking like the focus at the moment is on the most requested big stuff that will benefit most of the user base (arranger tracks, articulation tracks, improved exports, etc etc) rather than more niche things like AudioSnap - as much as that's a pet area of mine that I'd love to see get a new revision, which makes a lot of sense - but fingers crossed it gets a revisit soon. :)

Which Audiosnap algorithm (detection method) did you use? Notice: You have to change it to the new one manually on existing projects.
See Preferences, Project, Audiosnap, "Transient Detection Method". "Multi Resolution" is a new one which should work better and it exists only a few weeks.

Allthebest2u

That's a good point too - if you started any projects earlier than some of the recent releases, the algorithm won't change over to the new Multi-Resolution one automatically, you need to change that yourself. But that said, as much as I find this algorithm by far the best one yet for how I work, it's definitely worth exploring all of them just to see if you get any better results.

Considering that the new Pro Tools and even Reaper both have outstanding time aligning tools for multi-track instruments, no one is betting on the audiosnap horsey to provide anyone enough confidence to gamble their time and patience and even reputation on.   

It may have been the most innovative feature there was when it was released back in 2008 but now in comparison to the other DAWs, it's felt more as a flaw and develops a negative association with the brand.  This inevitably ruins the chances of a 2nd date and showing off the big guns Cakewalk is packing, but no, can't have no fun with that audiosnap booger hanging from the nose!