Orb Producer Suite

Marc Cormier

I've been waiting for Orb Producer 3 since last year.  GUI is excellent, the generated sequences were pretty interesting and flexibility to increase complexity is excellent.  Orb Synth has some fairly good stock sounds out the gate.  For Captains plugins, I found the UI a bit busier, the sounds not so good but the output also useful.  Captain includes a beat module, whereas Orb does not.  Captain also supports more scales than Orb.  However, it requires a continuous internet connection, which was a no-go for me.  I may plonk down the $50 in case the new version (6) does away with that requirement.  They include that update for free if you buy now.

I have Audiomodern Riffer which I really like for melody generation  tons of scales and on-the-fly parameters to tweak.  Haven't used the other Audiomodern components but the convenience and UI of Orb is what's most attractive to me anyway.

As you rightly mentioned, they all have strengths and weaknesses.  For me, the user experience ability to save time/reduce complexity is especially important.

Edited by Marc Cormier
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bad Penguin said:

I understand that each will have pros and cons, but "generally" for a n00b, which is "best"?

Orb Producer Suite 3, $66

Good product.  Can generate  longer more "orchestral" type motifs.  No percussion generator.

Audiomodern Suite, $112

Fun but very random.  You are going to be clicking the dice and going through a lot of tries to get interesting cohesive parts.  Not in the same league as the other two.  They also can't interchange data like the other two suites parts.

Captain plugin bundle, $60

More good stuff-  Drum part generator is excellent.  More suited to pop/edm.  I find the chord parts a little more difficult to work with than Orb.

If you want the easiest and broadest capability- get Orb AND CP.  You can use the CP percussion generator with Orb, and have a lot of flexibility to experiment with the different part generators. 

You didn't mention Plugin Boutique Scaler 2.5-  Really outstanding (no percussion generator) BUT I would not put this in the noob category.  A little more work to set up master/slave tracks for chords, bass, melody, arps...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Didn't this company used to be called Hexachords?

It still is - from the bottom of their website:

image.png.af9416db20609f2f35915c8bd7922f70.png

Just a guess, but it might be like how everyone referred to Twelve Tone Systems as Cakewalk, and then the name just stuck

8 minutes ago, Bad Penguin said:

Scaler is above my paygrade, but I did download the demo for Sundog.

Thanks, wasn't aware of that one!

Scaler sometimes goes on sale for 29. Another option for free chord playing is ripchord. Super minimalistic in that it only does chords and doesn't actually generate them, but is surprisingly intuitive and useful

Trying to order Orb Producer Suite 3 for 59€, and during checkout (when not logged in [to a US account]), it shows about 10€ in VAT.

When logged in, price remains at 59€.

Shouldn't it be ~49€?

Maybe I should just buy it before Tuesday at 59€ and if they won't refund the VAT, then I can just get a full refund?

Can I get a refund on Hexachords products?

We are so confident in our software that we offer a 30-day money back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you can return it for a full refund of the purchase price.

Next stop, Captain Plugins . . .

Edited by Bad Penguin

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...