Windows 11 Zero-day Exploit MS Can't Fix

bitflipper

This is why I chose long ago to not be a pioneer when it comes to mass-market software*.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/all-versions-of-windows-are-vulnerable-to-a-new-zero-day-exploit

Short version: a bug in the Windows installer lets malware do anything it wants to your system, and Microsoft can't fix it without breaking the installer.

* No, being a beta tester for Cakewalk does not contradict this philosophy. Cakewalk cannot ruin my life beyond alienating me from my family on Thanksgiving.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

On 11/25/2021 at 11:50 AM, bitflipper said:

This is why I chose long ago to not be a pioneer when it comes to mass-market software*.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/all-versions-of-windows-are-vulnerable-to-a-new-zero-day-exploit

Short version: a bug in the Windows installer lets malware do anything it wants to your system, and Microsoft can't fix it without breaking the installer.

* No, being a beta tester for Cakewalk does not contradict this philosophy. Cakewalk cannot ruin my life beyond alienating me from my family on Thanksgiving.

It isn't just Windows 11, looks like it is realated to basically any fairly recent Win10 machine.

The article is just written to suggest that even being on the latest and "greatest" there isn't an official patch yet to save you.  But since almost no-one is on Win11 - the article would be much more impactful if it spelled it out that it is also a Win10 issue.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1

Nevertheless a lot of people joke about us, that do not want to be online all the time!

But I am 100% sure the best way to have no malware is to be offline and not to have the latest software (even with W7)! That's why I prefer software that can be easily offline activated!

• Like 2