Thoughts on Spitfire Abbey Road One VS BBC Core?

cclarry

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

Don’t have AR but I believe it’s more in the line of the Albions (with ensemble patches) whereas BBCSO is a (classic) orchestra lineup. 

That's good to know...plus BBC Core gives me an upgrade price to Pro...not that I'll ever need a 630 Gb Orchestra...YIKES!

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, cclarry said:

That's good to know...plus BBC Core gives me an upgrade price to Pro...not that I'll ever need a 960 Gb Orchestra...YIKES!

Lots of mics in Pro, but the great thing is you can switch between versions. 

• Thanks 1

I was lucky and picked up core and aroo during different sales.  I haven’t used them as much as I’d like to but my first thoughts is that aroo, like Albions is mostly pre orchestrated. It sounds really good and can get things out of it quick. I like the modular (building block model) that Christian talks about in video below.  BBCSO is not pre-orchestrated so you get all the parts. Of course Pro gives you a ton more.  Bottom line it forces you to orchestrate and it’s more classical in nature.  It sounds amazing too but you need to put in the work. I got core on sale anticipating a pro upgrade sale at some point.  To move from core to pro during this BF it’s $330.  I picked up something else so will wait for Christmas/Advent sale.  Beside I don’t have the 650GB that Pro adds so doesn’t make any sense for me.

if you haven’t check out this video:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Okay so I failed to resist and upgraded to pro as well. $330 for a whole orchestra was hard to pass up.  Im not pro enough to use the different mic positions but saw a couple of videos where I could see the potential.  I was looking at Hollywood orchestra opus but that was a much bigger investment.  

Here is another video with good info about differences between discover, core, and pro showing how each version sounds playing same piece.  Most will be okay with core.  I’m trying to push myself so hence the pro upgrade.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, fret_man said:

Kevin, thanks for that video. Did you pay the $200 for the SSD drive or are you still downloading the +600GB product?

I left it downloading and went to sleep :)  I think for me took about 2.5 hours as I may have peeked a couple times while I got “water”.  Man was I thirsty last night hahah 

I’m sure spitfire is better but I had a bad experience buying an ssd from a developer.  I think they bought it from some black market or something.  It was some unknown drive maker and I didn’t trust it’s quality.  I’m sure had Sony guts haha. So I put up with the downloading.

Edit: my cable company charges me $10 for going over my data cap.  For $200 I can spend it better buying something else I don’t need instead of another ssd haha 

Edited by kevin H
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Another argument unfavorable of BBCSO and against ARO: the latter has no legato articulations. 

Did you mean in favor of BBCSO? Because as it stands left me depressed either way haha 

Edited by kevin H
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, kevin H said:

Did you mean in favor of BBCSO? Because as it stands left me depressed either way haha 

That damned phone. 
Let me rephrase: 

Another argument in favor of BBCSO and against ARO: the latter has no legato articulations. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fleer said:

That damned phone. 
Let me rephrase: 

Another argument in favor of BBCSO and against ARO: the latter has no legato articulations. 

And that's the way I went...it only made sense...plus the upgrade path to pro...
and it is LOVELY!

• Like 2