Guitar audio interface recognised as speakers

Paul Goddard

Question

Hello any help appreciatedrecognises 

I have a simple guitar USB interface, I installed Amplitude 5 and it works fine. So I installed cakewalk but it sees the USB audio device as output speakers not as an input device. also it tells me that the version of ASIO is not compatable, so which version is?

Can anyone tell me what the minimum is I have to do to get Cakewalk to give me input and output from my guitar. I do have it installed in Windows 7 but the MIDI VST instruments work fine.

14 answers to this question

Thanks @bdickens for posting my video. You get credit for being the first person here to do that😬

Edit: November 26, I just updated that video and will leave it posted for a while because it has a lot of views. But here’s the new link for those who find this thread in the future 

But to the OP , in the video I show you how to check devices in Windows settings. This is we’re your issue will be. Make sure the device shows in inputs not out puts. And use WASAPI. I don’t think those usb cables come with ASIO drivers. And don’t use the Real Tech ASIO driver. 

Edited by John Vere

23 hours ago, bdickens said:

Oh yeah, I forgot. We're not allowed to suggest that people save themselves hours and hours of frustration by making a moderate investment in proper equipment.

If only my investments in gear were moderate. 🎸🎸🎸🎸🎸 , 4 basses and 1 guitar, plus an NI S61 MK2 MIDI controller...and that's just the physical instruments)

Edited by John Maar

10 hours ago, John Maar said:

If only my investments in gear were moderate. 🎸🎸🎸🎸🎸 (4 basses and 1 guitar, plus an NI S61 MK2 MIDI controller...and that's just the physical instruments)

Yes this is true for many. $1,000’s worth of guitars, pedals and amps and all it takes to get that connected to a DAW  correctly with no hassles is a $100-$300 audio interface. Peanuts 🥜. But there’s these $20 USB to 1/4” cables on Amazon that never seem to work because they don’t have a good driver. There’s even a Behringer interface that’s like $75 that also never works because it doesn’t have a proper driver. 
So from experience here on the forum the best advice is to please spend a few bucks more and purchase a proper interface that comes with good ASIO drivers.
But we are bashed every time we say this here so it’s a bit of an in joke. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, John Maar said:

If only my investments in gear were moderate. 🎸🎸🎸🎸🎸 (4 basses and 1 guitar, plus an NI S61 MK2 MIDI controller...and that's just the physical instruments

Gotcha beat. 9 guitars. 2 basses. 1 bouzouki. 2 hardware synths.  Drum kit, including a Ludwig Acrolyte snare, Zildgian K/Z hihats & a Sabian HH raw bell dry ride. Plus a couple amps & some miscellaneous percussion dodads.

Oh, I almost forgot: 2 Doumbeks.

And a proper audio interface.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bdickens said:

And a proper audio interface.

You made me nervous until I spotted this.

Gear= Enough mikes, stands, mixers, speakers, monitors and lighting to do a small stage with up to 10 musicians performing or recording. Multiples of Guitar, bass and Keyboard amps for backline. 3 drawers full of adaptors and weird thing I forgot why I have. 

5 Audio interfaces. 5 mixers,  4 desktop PC'S 5 laptops,  processing hardware? lost count, , 3 sets of good studio monitors and various power amps, bunch of miscellaneous passive home stereo speakers, 12 sets of headphones. 4 suitcases full of audio cables. I won't even count how many guitars, Basses, banjos, mandolins, keyboards, drum stuff, percussion. ITS GOTTA GO!  All the live stuff for sure. And I'll keep only 6 guitars I think, 1 bass. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John Vere said:

So from experience here on the forum the best advice is to please spend a few bucks more and purchase a proper interface that comes with good ASIO drivers.
But we are bashed every time we say this here so it’s a bit of an in joke. 

It's the truth though.... and I would still state the need to get decent kit, even if it does result in the odd bash every now and then.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Paul Goddard said:

I think  it is a crappy guitar interface, jack on one end usb ADC on the other.  when I first plugged it in windows saw it as an input device. I disabled it so I could use Ampliube now it only sees it as an output device and so does cakewalk.

Again, what is the device? Does it have a name? A brand? How can we help if we don't know what it is?