Don't install or update to Spitfire BBCSO 1.4.0!

Matthew Sorrels

1 hour ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I have CbB setup to show/allow both VST2 and VST3 that way I can pick and choose which version I get.  But in this case the ID they changed I believe also applies to the VST2 versions as well.  It's the whole release that is borked.   The 1.2.0 version is fine though.  I believe they have removed the 1.4.0 version from the server so you can't download it.  Which I think means new customers will also be fine until they ship the new version (skipping 1.4.0) but if you're like me you can go backwards (no rollback) and there is nothing to go forward to.  (And yes I could pull the old version from a backup, but mixing and matching installs like that is almost always bad news and I won't do it)

If you open the Spitfire Audio app you can select the BBCSO and see what version you have.  The sounds should all be 1.2.0.  The plugin should be 1.2.0 unless you accidentally updated in which case you are on 1.4.0.

Oddly enough this morning after downloading the new Aperture The Stack (yeah I found something to round my Spitfire purchases up to cover the $120 gap) my BBCSO is now showing 1.5.0 as a version.  But I don't see any email about it (yet).  Perhaps they fixed it? (nope: just checked it's still broken)  But my BBCSO also has an entry for BBC Discover that is still 1.4.0  It's not really clear how all these plugins share code/tech though and what effect this bad ID has.

I think this plus all the similar issues with Orchestral tools Sine player makes me think I wish they would have stuck with Kontakt.

It doesn't matter if you have Vst2 and Vst3 set up to show/allow on CbB. It will always try to get the Vst3 version (that was confirmed to me by spitfire). The only way around this is to manually delete the Vst3 file from your system (and don't update your spitfire library).

47 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

It doesn't matter if you have Vst2 and Vst3 set up to show/allow on CbB. It will always try to get the Vst3 version (that was confirmed to me by spitfire). The only way around this is to manually delete the Vst3 file from your system (and don't update your spitfire library).

No that isn't true at all.  The DAW controls what is loaded.  Spitfire is talking about things they don't understand.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

No that isn't true at all.  The DAW controls what is loaded.  Spitfire is talking about things they don't understand.

yep - spitfire aren't the best 'source of truth'

although cubase/nuendo look at the plugin ID and if you have vst2 AND vst3 installed of the SAME plugin it will prefer vst3 and hide the vst2 version from you...I'm assuming this is what Philip is saying is happening ?

With Stienberg DAWs you can't control or override.  It will always pick the VST3.  Cakewalk works the same way by default, but you can change it.  The options are on the VST Settings page under VST3 Migration.  Hide Related VST2 Plug-ins and replace if possible on project load.  If you turn those off you can see the VST2 versions (assuming you install them) and they won't be replaced with VST3 on a project load.  The whole VST3 replace thing only works on a few plugins though.  Usually I'd say replace if possible is a good option to have on since plugins that support that migration usually are current enough that it will be a good idea.  You can easily see which version of a plugin you are using in CbB at the top of the plugin window there is a drop down.

At least for me though it doesn't matter, I've always used only the VST3 version of Spitfire's plugins.

The 1.5.0 update I saw earlier I guess wasn't completely rolled out?  It was now offering me an update (though the version didn't change).  This "new" 1.5.0 does seem to have the same old ID so project will load.  Spitfire did send email too.  They seem to believe it only effected their VST3 plugins, which is certainly possible.  But it's up to your DAW if it supports VST3 migration, it controls the loading, not the plugin.

• 2 weeks later...