Don't install or update to Spitfire BBCSO 1.4.0!

Matthew Sorrels

Here's a thread on VI
https://vi-control.net/community/threads/just-received-this-email-from-spitfire-re-bbcso-update-issues.117643

I got this same email as well (but oddly there isn't a version of it on Spitfire's website at all) and sure enough I'd already updated to the 1.4.0 version and now my templates and all my saved projects fail to load (this is with CbB on Windows -- it effects every platform and every DAW).  If I were to make a new project or fix one of those broken ones, when they revert the plugin ID back, that project would then be broken.

This also applies to new BBCSO customers too, if you make/save ANY projects with 1.4.0 they will stop working when they release the next update.  Which from that awful letter I'm guessing they are going to take their sweet time to get out?  I'm not really sure why they can't just reset the ID, set the version to 1.4.1 rebuild and ship it? I guess that's asking too much.

So unless you love pain and suffering don't bother using that new BBCSO you just bought just yet.  And don't update it if you aren't already on 1.4.0.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Yep...I've been trying to get since I got Discover, and every time it's been "on sale" 
I was out in the cold...

Nothing is for sure in this world but they were running that Christmas/New Year promo for the last couple years regularly where you get 40% off a library of your choice.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, John Maar said:

I have BBCSO Discover latest version v1.2.0 (v1.2.1 plugin), but haven't used it yet. Does anyone know if this version exhibits the same error? Should I wait to use it?

The VST3 1.4.0 version is the only one that doesn't work correctly.

• Like 1

interestingly (to me !) there were updates to the Originals plugins when I looked in the spitfire app.

These installed new vst2/vst3 versions and cubase now thinks these are 'different' plugins so I wonder if they have messed up the UUID here too ?

1 hour ago, simon said:

interestingly (to me !) there were updates to the Originals plugins when I looked in the spitfire app.

These installed new vst2/vst3 versions and cubase now thinks these are 'different' plugins so I wonder if they have messed up the UUID here too ?

I had the same issue in CbB with the Originals, so I restored the previous versions from a backup.

I think it may have affected the VST3 versions only....

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Promidi said:

I had the same issue in CbB with the Originals, so I restored the previous versions from a backup.

I think it may have affected the VST3 versions only....

interesting - I suspect the UUID of the VST3 versions changed then.

Don't have a backup of the .vst3 files unfortunately.   oh well.  

you'd think that Spitfire being such $$$$$$ premium libraries they'd test this slightly better.  I mean this was obvious immediately when I started the DAW.

Anyone who remembers the ill fated CbB update that caused lots of issues a while back might also remember some of the back and forth on the various forums about vst3 compatibility and certain vendors.I  myself had major performance issues with all my Spitfire libraries after that update.

When I contacted Cakewalk they said it was an issue on Spitfire's end. When I contacted Spitfire they said it was an issue on Cakewalk's end. Stalemate.

In the end Spitfire recommended to manually delete the Vst3 file for every Spitfire library then rescan your vsts. That way Cakewalk only uses the vst2 file, which works just fine. If you don't manually delete the file, CbB will continue to grab the Vst3 for every time, even if you block it from scans. 

@Matthew Sorrels

Give this a try.

it's confirmed that other products have similar issues so I'd be wary of updating any of the products that install VST3 plugins at this stage.

and yes - pretty poor communication from Spitfire - would have been easy to send an email to customers...I suspect they won't want the support overhead during black friday .

I have CbB setup to show/allow both VST2 and VST3 that way I can pick and choose which version I get.  But in this case the ID they changed I believe also applies to the VST2 versions as well.  It's the whole release that is borked.   The 1.2.0 version is fine though.  I believe they have removed the 1.4.0 version from the server so you can't download it.  Which I think means new customers will also be fine until they ship the new version (skipping 1.4.0) but if you're like me you can go backwards (no rollback) and there is nothing to go forward to.  (And yes I could pull the old version from a backup, but mixing and matching installs like that is almost always bad news and I won't do it)

If you open the Spitfire Audio app you can select the BBCSO and see what version you have.  The sounds should all be 1.2.0.  The plugin should be 1.2.0 unless you accidentally updated in which case you are on 1.4.0.

Oddly enough this morning after downloading the new Aperture The Stack (yeah I found something to round my Spitfire purchases up to cover the $120 gap) my BBCSO is now showing 1.5.0 as a version.  But I don't see any email about it (yet).  Perhaps they fixed it? (nope: just checked it's still broken)  But my BBCSO also has an entry for BBC Discover that is still 1.4.0  It's not really clear how all these plugins share code/tech though and what effect this bad ID has.

I think this plus all the similar issues with Orchestral tools Sine player makes me think I wish they would have stuck with Kontakt.