200ms latency issue

Maxime Mastio

Question

Hi everyone,

I am absolutely new on cakewalk, i just started recently, and please accept my apologises if a same subject is already created, but it apears like the most issues with latency is about getting from 30ms latency to 10.

I work with friends, they send me a complete record where the bass is missing, so i have to record the bass line.

My computer is quite new, i5 with 16Go ram (i guess my pc isn't the problem), i use a focusrite 2i2 , and the bass direct plugged

The driver mode is WASAPI shared, with focusrite just as with my internal sound board

At my first try i find out that my bass line is like an half beat later, and after 2-3 try the problem was still the same -> i'm not the problem

Then i tried to unplug the focusrite and record an acoustic instrument on my jack plugged headset, the problem was still there -> the focusrite isn't the problem

At this moment i discovered the input echo button, i guess that's approximately the information my coputer receive through the input. That's really an echo! i get every sound back approximately 200ms later.

After that i tried to do the same operation on a fresh project, without any other instruments or anything, just activate the input echo mode and the problem was still there... -> the project isn't the problem...

So what? I don't even know where the problem comes from, everything seems ok, but i have 5x more latency than people that have latency problems!

Sorry by the way for my awful english... And thank you in advance for your answers!

4 answers to this question

Yes, the Focusrite interface should have the ASIO driver installed and the DAW should be setup to run in ASIO driver mode.

That said, most of the 200ms may be due to Plug-in Delay Compensation.

If see if plug-ins are the issue, bypass all plug-ins using the FX button in the Mix Module. While reading about this also review the help about PDC button.

First thing is you should be using the ASIO driver that Focusrite supplies.

You also don't say much about your computer. Laptop?

Desktop?

What brand? Some are much worse than others about loading them up with bloatware that hogs resources. You gotta uninstall all that crap.

Edited by bdickens

It's a laptop, Asus tuf dash f15.

The thing is while recording the memory din't exceed 46-47%, that's why i exclude the pc from my potential cause list.

I have installed the latest version of Focusrite Control - 3.6.0.1822

Ok i find it out thanks to you, i gonna explain what happens exactely(maybe i can help someone too)

First, at the beginning, i had bought a behringer umc22, the thing with this one is there is no more drivers supplied from behringer.

So i installed ASIO4ALL, and this one didn't work with cakewalk, i didnt search longer and send it back and buyed a focusrite 2i2, thats a pretty sure investment and despite it's not the best, it's the most known. So i plugged it and it worked well, i got input, output, everything, and well compatible with cakewalk.

The thing is i never deleted ASIO4ALL, so cakewalk didn't switch to asio, and stayed in WASAPI. I just have deleted this crap yep and switched my driver to asio and now it work well ! Unhearable (for me at least) latency!

Thanks to you for answering me!! Really!

• Like 2