Hangs on Wave Profiler at start up

Jakezero

Question

When I start CbB the splash screen comes up, then the Wave Profiler checks the current driver (WDM), none of the profiles is available so it shuts CbB down.

Background: This is a new install on a DELL XPS 15 Laptop running Windows 11. I have just finished the install and was testing it out using WASAPI drivers when the audio dropped out. I switched to WDM to see how it ran on this driver and it crashed. Since then it is as described above. I have tried starting CbB with control held down and by disabling the inbuilt NVIDIA / Realtek devices and drivers. I have just reinstalled CbB and it is still the same.

I need to be able to switch the audio driver back to default or to ASIO or WASAPI before launching CbB so it finds the correct drivers. Is there a way to do this?

Are there registry entries I can change to go back to default audio devices?

Here is a screenshot of the wave profiler just before it crashes.

image.png.8c89059192a4e17a96c8a43793ca98fa.png

7 answers to this question

I have the same problem , the first response i dont see anywhere onboarding shown in the core part of cakewalk in the registry eidtor, the 2nd suggestion didnt work by disabling all but the audio driver I was using .  Maybe there's a file you can edit somewhere to change the driver settings outside the program?`

EDIT:  What did work was unplugging my hdmi cable for external monitor.  That seemed to let the waveprofiler finish correctly.  

Edited by mike2mars
  • Thanks 3

The first thing I would try is force CbB to run the onboarding wizard.

To do this edit the registry and set OnboardingShown to 0 in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Core

Some Dell computers run a program called “Dell SupportAssist Remediation” which has been identified as a resource thief. See 

Had the same problem. For me the fix was going into Device Manager and disabling all sound devices, then starting Cakewalk using <Shift><Enter> to bring up the Preferences Wizard. Then I plugged in my Focusrite and was able to set the Driver Mode back to ASIO and select the Focusrite as the default device.

On 2/20/2022 at 9:20 PM, mike2mars said:

I have the same problem , the first response i dont see anywhere onboarding shown in the core part of cakewalk in the registry eidtor, the 2nd suggestion didnt work by disabling all but the audio driver I was using .  Maybe there's a file you can edit somewhere to change the driver settings outside the program?`

EDIT:  What did work was unplugging my hdmi cable for external monitor.  That seemed to let the waveprofiler finish correctly.  

thank you , i had hours of frustration trying to resolve this    noy sure how you got it but you did   thanks