Heaven (ambient pop music)

Larry T.

Greetings All,

Here is my latest Cakewalk created piece called Heaven (ambient pop music)....all observations, suggestions and critiques welcome....

https://larryterrano.bandcamp.com/track/heaven-ambient-pop-music

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab

pc: windows 10, i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 8GB ram, acoustic and electric guitars, bass guitar, focusrite scarlett solo, arturia minilab mkII, arturia analog lab IV lite, CbB effects

reference monitors: M-Audio BX3

Special Thanks to Mike at Creative Sauce on You Tube whose incredible videos on how to use CbB made this possible

Edited by Larry T.
clarity.
  • Like 4

On 11/24/2021 at 9:57 AM, jack c. said:

boy ya like that ambient pop music.i'd like to hear some drum bass drum/tom rolls like thunder here and their.lovely song.jack c.

hello jack 🎶my emerging DAW skills and limited time to work on music have quietly led me to a life of making ambient pop for awhile.... probably until I have an albums worth (60 minutes or so) and then call the album "ambient pop music"....I'm still experimenting and learning my way with DAW drums but the time it takes to get them to sound the way they should I just don't have right now....Thanks for listening and the cool compliment 👍👍🎸🥁

20 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Very heavenly music. Appropriate reverb and delay for ambient genre.
A flute would fit in there nicely. Reminds me of Brian Eno in places.
Nicely done. Enjoyed it.
-Bjorn

Thanks Bjorn....Eno is a big influence....his solo work and collaborations with Bowie, U2, Talking Heads....what a great catalog....and glad you enjoyed it 🎶

I hope to do a longer version with flute, harp, bells, choirs, woodwinds, percussion and more....going to install the Kontakt Player and try the 50 free  sounds to expand the instruments and sounds....been reading the Instruments and Effects forum for guidance 🎹🎻🎷🎼

Thanks David 🎶 used standard tuning on all guitars....two audio interface electric guitars play the 16 note riff that first appears at 0:24 and weaves in and out of the song is a real hand stretcher....it's the 6th, 5th and 4th strings playing

F, C, D / F, C, D / F, C

G, D, A / G, D, A / G, D

as I played them all live to make it easier I put a capo on the first fret so as to give my left hand some help....the other guitar voicings are 3 or 4 note chords played without a capo ( I have no idea of their names, they just sound good) that use notes in C Ionian found up and down the fretboard 🎹🎸🎶🎺

edit: inspiration is from the Trois Gymnopédies  by Satie, orchestrated by Debussy....the first time I heard that was the version by the  New London Orchestra conducted by Ronald Corp and I was absolutely floored by its beauty and simplicity 🎵🎼 🎼🎶

Edited by Larry T.
clarity.

2 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

did you use open tuning on the guitar?  like this version of heaven alot.  Peaceful...

Thanks David....forgot to include your quote in my response....please see above post....Thanks very much, glad you enjoyed 🎶🎷🎸🎺

Very peaceful and relaxing music. One suggestion I have is when the individual guitar notes have the delay/reverb on them, I would automate the volume of the delay/reverb notes so they are decreasingly lower, so they are more drifty and not competing with the main note which would add to the spacey vibe you have going on. I started with Kontakt Player and Im sure anything else you add will only add to the beauty. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2021 at 2:41 PM, treesha said:

Very peaceful and relaxing music. One suggestion I have is when the individual guitar notes have the delay/reverb on them, I would automate the volume of the delay/reverb notes so they are decreasingly lower, so they are more drifty and not competing with the main note which would add to the spacey vibe you have going on. I started with Kontakt Player and Im sure anything else you add will only add to the beauty. 

Thanks very much treesha....yes, the volumes of the guitar delays was heavily automated because if there is a another instrument in the same range the echo is greatly diminished 🔊🎸🎶🎹

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 5:45 AM, Wookiee said:

Very lay back close your eyes and trip out, nothing wrong with ambient music.

I note your comment about using Kontakt you may want to up your RAM to 16 Gig for the optimum use with that.

Thanks Wookiee....yes, the songs i have done so far were able to be handled ok by 8 Gigs of RAM, but the new piece i'm putting together has pushed my PC RAM to the max so i will do some kind of upgrade soon 🎻🎷🎵🔊 

On 11/29/2021 at 6:43 PM, Starise said:

Well done very relaxing ambient track. Great use of guitar to achieve an almost harp like effect.

Thanks 🎶🎹🎸🎺

On 11/30/2021 at 8:38 AM, Makke said:

Good instrumental track. pleasant soundscape with hovering ambiance. sounds nice.

Thanks Makke 🎸🔊📯🎵

On 11/30/2021 at 12:37 PM, steve@baselines.com said:

Good work - I like the use of delay.

Thanks steve....knob turning is my middle name lol!! 🎷🎧🎻🥁

4 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Nicely done Larry. Really like the way you “wove” this all together. 
👍’s

t

Thanks t....it was basically done by recording all of the parts on their own tracks and then doing the jig saw puzzle thing....seeing what sounded best for each unfolding section....i did have a general idea of what went where but found that some times less is more 🎸🎹🎤🎶

• Like 1