Ikmultimedia Syntronik 2

Carlos  Iglesias

1 minute ago, Luc said:

Hey @Peter - IK Multimedia do you have any updates on the MAX $149.99 Upgrade not being available even though we have the Syntronik Deluxe from the GB?

When trying to choose it, it says no qualifying products - that only those with products on the list are eligible (but that item is on the list).

Put it in your cart.  I show the same thing, but then there is a discount automatically applied. Unfortunately, I can then not add any Jam points. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, husker said:

Put it in your cart.  I show the same thing, but then there is a discount automatically applied. Unfortunately, I can then not add any Jam points. 

Ah you are da man!!!! Tried it adding the Crossgrade and it works. Thanks! Yeah, I thought maybe the Upgrade version (which is still greyed out) would let me use Jam Points but still, we're ahead of where we were last night haha.

I've uninstalled all of my other sampled synths except for Syntronik Deluxe 1. Disk space is not free. The modeled synths that I also have can do the same as Syntronik without a huge disk footprint. But I do like the sound that Syntronik provides! :)

I will consider version 2, but only if I can be assured that installing it will not cause any issues with my current installation...

• Haha 1

For the benefit of my comrades, and, I hope, @Peter - IK Multimedia, this is my "out of box" experience with trying to install Syntronik 2. Once I get the issues sorted, I'll post what worked.

Background: I have a license for Syntronik, including Bully, OXa, and Memory-V. I've also gone through the painstaking process of importing the SampleTank 2.5 sounds into Sampletank 3 and then again importing them into SampleTank 4. This is the first version of SampleTank that was usable on my system (ST 2.5 Free had the tiny UI and ST 3 crashed whatever host I tried after 20 or so minutes of operation but the sounds are still great). I also have the excellent Orchestools One library, successfully installed after a certain amount of fuss. All were working just fine. I also have Orchestral Percussion, Art Deco Piano, and Hitmaker Synthwave.

First, I followed the instructions on the website, which say to use Product Manager to install/authorize the new product. When I opened PM, it said that there were updates to SampleTank 4 and T-Racks, so I figured I'd let it do those first. In retrospect, I should have checked right after that to make sure that process had gone okay but I didn't. It appeared to complete with no errors, though.

Second, time to get Syntronik 2, so I clicked to download and install, which again, it did with no complaint, except that it popped a message saying that I needed to download new content. I clicked okay thinking that, being an installer shell, it would then download the new content. It didn't seem to do anything, but when I opened Cakewalk, I saw a new entry for Syntronik 2. Okay, but then I opened it and only saw the presets for Syntronik, plus Bully, Oxa, and Memory-V.

Third, and WAY more troubling, I opened SampleTank 4 and the only libraries that appear to function and be available are Syntronik Free (sic) and Orchestools One.

Being a veteran of the IK process, I went to the My Products section of the website and found the sounds for Syntronik 2 and am downloading them "manually." I hope that when I'm done I can get them into Syntronik 2 with little fuss. One issue that I have is that I like to keep the downloads on my spinner and the actual samples/patches on my SSD and the IK installers can be kinda vague about which is which. I don't want any download leftovers on my SSD, as space is limited on there, and of course, I don't want my sample libes on my spinner.

Even if that goes okay, though, I'm going to have to figure out WTH happened with SampleTank. Maybe it's a simple as rebuilding the databases or whatever? Maybe reauthorizing, although PM says I'm cool with all of that.

I will post again once I either get it sorted or hit a dead end. I am grateful that my favorite forum has a thread about this.

• Great Idea 1

I’m seeing similar problems with Sample Tank 4 and Syntronik (legacy). I have not installed any components of Syntronik 2.

After installing  ST4 "Alternate Keys" (Group Buy), all my "Syntronik Deluxe" synths (i.e. instruments) became “unauthorized” in SampleTank. Most of the synths are now missing in Syntronik (legacy) too.   

I tried "Restore Purchases" in the Custom Shop and restarted the apps (i.e. Product Manager, Sample Tank, etc.) several times. This did not restore the missing synth activations. Also, installed the latest Sample Tank 4.

For my case, based on information on the IK Forum, I discovered a temporary but somewhat unreliable work-around: Open the old IK Authorization Manager and enter the new Syntronik 2 CS license key. The key is located under “My Products” on the IK web site.  After doing this, all my Syntronik Deluxe instruments were restored in Sample Tank. However,  the Syntronik 1  App was still missing about half the instruments.   [Edit] I skipped the “Restore Purchases” in Product Manager since this action removed all the synth instrument authorizations.

For those who installed Syntronik 2  and have missing instruments: According to posts on the IK Forum (last night), it appears that the license key for ”Syntronik 2 CS” needs to be registered using  the IK Product Manager. However, this did not work for my case, thus the work-around above.  Please  check the IK Forum for the latest.

I have reported the problem to IK Support, but discovered the work-around after sending the support request. 

My knowledge about this problem is limited.  Hopefully one of the IK experts will chime-in with more information.

Edited by Tom B
Verified info: Restore Purchases removed Syntronik1 authorizations.
  • Like 1

What finally worked for me was a combination of deleting several ST4 .plist files (which was recommended by IK Support but didn't change anything)  AND then using the old Authorization Manager to re-authorize my Syntronik 1 serial (which I did just on a hunch and it worked).  I tried re-authorizing my serial number 2 days ago, but that alone did not fix things. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hurricane said:

What finally worked for me was a combination of deleting several ST4 .plist files (which was recommended by IK Support but didn't change anything)  AND then using the old Authorization Manager to re-authorize my Syntronik 1 serial (which I did just on a hunch and it worked).  I tried re-authorizing my serial number 2 days ago, but that alone did not fix things. 

Thanks for the additional information and suggestions. 

Where are those ".plist" files located?   I haven't been able to find any ".plist" files related to IK products. The ".plist" extension seems more related to Apple.  I'm on a PC.

31 minutes ago, Tom B said:

Thanks for the additional information and suggestions. 

Where are those ".plist" files located?   I haven't been able to find any ".plist" files related to IK products. The ".plist" extension seems more related to Apple.  I'm on a PC.

Right, I'm on a Mac, sorry I don't know what the Windows equivalent is. But it's a preference file for what it's worth. 

5 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

Having installed Syntronik 2 it seems to have wiped out my authorisations for all my ST3 and 4 instruments - did anyone find the best way to solve this? It seems unbelievable that installing a totally separate programme / VST would do this - a serious problem at IK's end! @Peter - IK Multimedia do you have latest advice on this please?

The only thing I can suggest is a Restore My Purchases in Custom Shop and maybe un-authorize/re-authorize them in IK Product Manager.  Beyond that I'm sure IK Support can help see what is going on there.

2 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

The only thing I can suggest is a Restore My Purchases in Custom Shop and maybe un-authorize/re-authorize them in IK Product Manager.  Beyond that I'm sure IK Support can help see what is going on there.

The un-authorise/re-authorise in IK Product Manager worked for me. Apart from  ST4 getting unauthorised it went reasonably smoothly, the huge download coming through while I had dinner. (I do have fast broadband but the server on the other end seemed pretty quick.)

I think Syntronic 2 has gone a long way to addressing my reservations with version 1. Sound design is much improved with the ability swap waveforms in a patch and the whole edit page with its modulation matrix looks very powerful, but I have yet to dig into it. 

Preset load times seem to be faster than version one.

A system with so many presets would really benefit with an NKS style audio preview in the browser.   Freelance Soundlabs third party NKS addon for UVI's Synth Anthology is a real boon.

All in all I was in two minds about upgrading but I am glad I did.

• Like 3

Well I took a deep breath and installed Syntronik 2 CS today.

Good news, it found all of my Syntronik 1 presets, and everything was authorized! 👍

Bad news, is that it installed the new 3GB sound library on my boot drive in a folder in "C:\Users\Public\Documents\IK Multimedia\Syntronik 2". Had to move it manually to my content drive, and set the new path in Syntronik 2 options. Simple fix.

Good news! The presets and samples load very quickly now, compared to Syntronik 1. Even the Syntronik 1 instruments. Whooo-Hooo! 👍

Bad news, I had to adjust the new Syntronik 2 content path in SampleTank 4, and remove the reference to "C:\Users\Public\Documents\IK Multimedia\Syntronik 2". Simple fix.

Good news, all is working very well now, and with no issues! :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

What finally got everything usable was to register the Syntronik 2 serial via the old Authorization Manager and then check and rescan all the ST4/Syntronik 2 paths.

On my second system, the Syntronik instruments still show up as not authorized in ST4, but no matter, they show up in the Syntronik 2 interface.

Browsing the presets, I have to admit that Syntronik 2 was worth the hassle, but if Sampletank 4 had been something that was in my current critical path, the process would have been a disaster. All I can say at this point is that I hope that IK can use the information gathered from this to improve their install process.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, abacab said:

Well I took a deep breath and installed Syntronik 2 CS today.

Good news, it found all of my Syntronik 1 presets, and everything was authorized! 👍

Bad news, is that it installed the new 3GB sound library on my boot drive in a folder in "C:\Users\Public\Documents\IK Multimedia\Syntronik 2". Had to move it manually to my content drive, and set the new path in Syntronik 2 options. Simple fix.

Good news! The presets and samples load very quickly now, compared to Syntronik 1. Even the Syntronik 1 instruments. Whooo-Hooo! 👍

Bad news, I had to adjust the new Syntronik 2 content path in SampleTank 4, and remove the reference to "C:\Users\Public\Documents\IK Multimedia\Syntronik 2". Simple fix.

Good news, all is working very well now, and with no issues! :)

Ah good point about removing ST4 reference to the C drive folder if moving samples - I'd just moved the Syntronik 2 sounds over to my data drive and rescanned Syntronik 2 but forgot to do it on ST4 - thanks!

• Like 1

It appears that if you copy Syntronik 2 files to a subfolder of your ST3 folder as I did you have to specifically identify that sub folder in your sounds path - neither Syntronik 2 nor ST4 picked it up when I just rescanned the ST3 folder. I've rescanned Syntronik 2 and now that works ok - just waiting for ST4 to complete the rescan......

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

What finally got everything usable was to register the Syntronik 2 serial via the old Authorization Manager and then check and rescan all the ST4/Syntronik 2 paths.

I held off on any Syntronik 2 CS install attempts until today. Saw too many reports of issues both here and at KVR, and decided to wait.

I think IK has fixed the big problems since the initial release. I didn't have to authorize anything today.  IKPM did it automatically. So that authorization part was as smooth as butter today!

The C:\User\Public\Documents was the only thing that I had to fix manually, and then rescan. 100% good here now. 👍

• Like 2