Ikmultimedia Syntronik 2

Carlos  Iglesias

21 minutes ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

@Peter - IK Multimedia I just upgraded from TS 3 Max to TS 3.5 Max. I see that Sample Tank 4 Max is showing as not installed in the Download Manager with 11 days to download , even though I’m sure I downloaded everything previously (only Sampletank 4,  CS and all the sounds libraries are installed. My SampleTank 4 installed is around 400 gb.

I have 2 questions:

- Is there any new content from SampleTank 4 that is missing that makes it showing Max as not installed?

- Since I upgraded to 3.5, why my previously downloaded files have not been reset for another 180 days to download. I already paid 300$ just a couple of months ago from TS 2 Max to TS 3 Max, and I had to pay another 70$ to upgrade to 3.5, while others who were wise enough to wait a bit got it all for 175$… I think it should at least warrant a complete reset for the delay to download, or is it a glitch?

You should have 180 days from the date of registration of TS3.5 Max to download the sounds...

6 minutes ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

That’s what I have for the new sounds, not the already available ones…

And I don’t see Sampletron 2, unless it’s inside another program to download…

You might have to log out, and then back in again for those to show up...
The IK PM is a bit quirky...

16 minutes ago, cclarry said:

You might have to log out, and then back in again for those to show up...
The IK PM is a bit quirky...

I tried that, but still nothing, only new stuff is from Syntronik 2

Got it, I had to register the serial to TS 3.5 Max in IK PM, I thought it was done automatically...

Edited by Yan Filiatrault

It doesn't touch your old Syntronik 1 sounds.  Which are in Sampletank 3 format.  It (well the MAX version) is a whole new directory/install.  It appears to contain copies of many of the same sounds from Syntronik 1 plus the new Syntronik 2 stuff.  But it didn't do anything to my Syntronik 1 sounds (which are in my Sampletank Sounds 3 directory).  I guess you could uninstall Syntronik 1 to get back some space.  Maybe.  The only thing it did do was break the authorization.  Had to de-auth and re-auth Syntronik 1 and 2 both to get it to be happy.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

It doesn't touch your old Syntronik 1 sounds.  Which are in Sampletank 3 format.  It (well the MAX version) is a whole new directory/install.  It appears to contain copies of many of the same sounds from Syntronik 1 plus the new Syntronik 2 stuff.  But it didn't do anything to my Syntronik 1 sounds (which are in my Sampletank Sounds 3 directory).  I guess you could uninstall Syntronik 1 to get back some space.  Maybe.  The only thing it did do was break the authorization.  Had to de-auth and re-auth Syntronik 1 and 2 both to get it to be happy.

That only deletes the app and not the sounds.

53 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

That only deletes the app and not the sounds.

Yes, you have to remove them by hand and rebuild the database.  Which is kind of hard if you have Sampletank 3 instruments/sounds also.  I don't think IK has even given a thought to managing the mess their instrument collections have become (Sampletron 2 and Syntronik 2 both seem to have their own private content directories)  Older Sampletank 4 instruments are merged into its directories (or Sampletank 3's).  The IK Product Manager download leaves the zip files it downloads for Syntronik MAX on your system as well (for me it was in %USERPROFILE%\Documents\IK Multimedia\IK Product Manager\Syntronik 2 MAX) and consumes some 184gigs of disk space itself.  Of course that's good since they charge you to redownload after 180 days.  But losing 184gigs of disc space for some zip installers is a bit much.   I'll be backing mine up on to BD-Rs most likely.

I wouldn't remove Syntronik 1 though,  since it may(will?) break old projects unless you just happened to use Sampletank 4 instead of the Syntronik 1 VST/Engine for projects.  And even then I'm not sure it will work without the old Syntronik 1 instruments/samples.

So yes, it's a bit of a mess.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Yes, you have to remove them by hand and rebuild the database.  Which is kind of hard if you have Sampletank 3 instruments/sounds also.  I don't think IK has even given a thought to managing the mess their instrument collections have become (Sampletron 2 and Syntronik 2 both seem to have their own private content directories)  Older Sampletank 4 instruments are merged into its directories (or Sampletank 3's).  The IK Product Manager download leaves the zip files it downloads for Syntronik MAX on your system as well (for me it was in %USERPROFILE%\Documents\IK Multimedia\IK Product Manager\Syntronik 2 MAX) and consumes some 184gigs of disk space itself.  Of course that's good since they charge you to redownload after 180 days.  But losing 184gigs of disc space for some zip installers is a bit much.   I'll be backing mine up on to BD-Rs most likely.

I wouldn't remove Syntronik 1 though,  since it may(will?) break old projects unless you just happened to use Sampletank 4 instead of the Syntronik 1 VST/Engine for projects.  And even then I'm not sure it will work without the old Syntronik 1 instruments/samples.

So yes, it's a bit of a mess.

An understatement.  I get it now. I just download the ones that say Synth 2.  These are much smaller. I have the other stuff archived.  These are more like presets than sounds.

I think I'll wait for the mess to get fixed up before downloading Syntronik 2 CS or upgrading.

edit - I didn't wait !

it installs the CS soundpack into a random /users/public/public_documents folder (without asking !!) in case you were looking for it like I was.

and crashed cubase

oh well......

Edited by simon

17 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Great to hear, Reid!

Total Studio 3.5 MAX and Total VI MAX users should be able to unlock Syntronik 2.

Anybody with authorization issues or people with the products mentioned above who aren't seeing what they should authorized, please try the following:

• Load the IK Product Manager
  • UNauthorize the Syntronik 2 there
  • Next, Re-Authorize it again

Custom Shop Application location:
MAC: HD > Applications > Custom Shop
PC: Start > Programs > IK Multimedia > Custom Shop

• Load the Custom Shop application from the location above
  • At the top go to your account name > Restore My Purchases
  • All your modules, etc should be unlocked.

not working here ?

• Like 1

The Syntronik 2 versions of the Syntronik 1 instruments/patches definitely sound different, well at least on a handful of presets I tried.  The settings look the same, and all the old patches are there (and new S2 patches).  But the sound is different.  At least for Bully, the S2 versions had a much sharper/harder sound.  A few presets sounded the same, but most were different.

I think if you are upgrading you will need to keep S1.  If you aren't upgrading it doesn't matter.

I liked the new S2 versions better to be honest.  But that won't help if you are trying to upgrade old projects.

And yes it installs the sounds in C:\Users\Public\Documents\IK Multimedia by default.  It's not random.  You can move it though.  Just move the whole directory somewhere else, start the standalone version and go to the Options and configure the library location on the Library tab.  I couldn't see anyway to move the library in the Product Manager (or anyway to see the directory it installed to in the PM app, which is lame).  In theory you could set the install dir in PM (the three dot menu has an option) before you do the download, but once you have done it, even changing the directory and clicking reinstall doesn't move it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\IK Multimedia by default.  It's not random

true - not exactly random but it didn't ask (and didn't say) and it's not where any of my other content is installed so I had to check the paths in the plugin to find it...then move it where I wanted.  

the 'three dot menu' in the product manager points to the download folder not the install folder ?

anyway multiple cubase crashes (and dmp files)  later (win10/vst3)  I'm gonna hang fire before using further.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carlos Iglesias said:

Today I installed it again with a more awakened mind and I was able to use the Syntronik 1 instruments. I have deauthorized Syntronik 1 and reauthorized and deauthorized Syntronik 2 Cs and reauthorized and it works, the only thing that the module to edit does not work with Syntronik instruments 1.

I had to quit the DAW - deauthorize S2 AND S1 - then custom shop > 'restore purchases'  - just doing S2 didn't work for me ?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, simon said:

the 'three dot menu' in the product manager points to the download folder not the install folder ?

I think this one will let you pick where to install it, if you do it BEFORE you ever start downloading/installing.  Once you have done it, the PM option seem to have no effect.  I tried changing it after the fact and did the reinstall but it didn't move it, left it were it was (in Users/Public) and took a long time too.  To move it I had to do it by hand.

image.thumb.png.07ef8340fa4d1decf16b322ac8d1f80a.png

• Sad 1