Session Drummer 3 Unfreeze Crash

Shaade

Hello~

I'm having a serious problem at the moment...

Every time I try to unfreeze my Session Drummer 3 track folder in my current project, it crashes cakewalk. (had it frozen due to CPU needs)

There were times when I managed to get it to work in the past by clicking the unfreeze icon on different individual drum pieces within the folder, but even that doesn't seem to work anymore.

Anyone know what might be causing this, or have any ideas of how to get around it?

Below is an image of the error that pops up;

CakewalkSD3UnfreezeCrash.png

Edited by Shaade

On 5/10/2019 at 1:15 PM, Chuck E Baby said:

When was the last time you updated the .Net framework or Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable ?

It might help if you list some specs (Windows OS and soundcard).

No idea 😕 I've never done either manually.

On 5/10/2019 at 7:35 PM, razor7music said:

I used to have major system crashes when I would unfreeze MIDI or soft-synth tracks. I was able to trace it back to not having enough system RAM--now my current rig has 16 GB's and I don't have that issue--thank goodness!!

I already have 16 GB so I doubt it's that...if it is I'm stuck.

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

If you share a link to the project file or the minidump file we can take a look.

Sure - https://www.dropbox.com/s/nznk9ujyuhfaumw/05092019_212759.dmp?dl=0

17 hours ago, Shaade said:

No idea 😕 I've never done either manually.

Me neither xD.

This is what the VC90.CRT turned up though in searches anyway.

The cause for this issue could be an unsuccessful install of prior Windows Updates OR Custom MSI(Microsoft Installer) packages.

Cakewalk comes with these packages but sometimes don't always install correctly (I give this answer a lot and I could very well be wrong).

But a lot of crashes like this seem to be RAM, Failing HD/SSD, or Updates. It could be Cakewalk itself but I cant reproduce that here so I can be no help on that.

Hi @Shaade  your dump file shows the crash was caused by a memory overwrite in Session drummer x64.dll and not in Cakewalk itself.

Also you are running a really old version of Session Drummer dating back to 2009 and not the last version that was shipped with SONAR.

The version you have is: 
SessionDrummer x64.dll    *c:\program files\Cakewalk\vstplugins\Session Drummer 3\SessionDrummer x64.dll    1.00.0.222    12/3/2009 2:20 AM    

Please update to the latest from Command Center (you should still have access to this if you had SONAR earlier) since this is likely the root cause of your issues. Let us know if it resolves your issue.

The current version is as shown in my screenshot.

sdver.PNG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Me neither xD.

This is what the VC90.CRT turned up though in searches anyway.

The cause for this issue could be an unsuccessful install of prior Windows Updates OR Custom MSI(Microsoft Installer) packages.

Cakewalk comes with these packages but sometimes don't always install correctly (I give this answer a lot and I could very well be wrong).

But a lot of crashes like this seem to be RAM, Failing HD/SSD, or Updates. It could be Cakewalk itself but I cant reproduce that here so I can be no help on that.

Crashes in the VC runtimes doesn't mean the VC redist is at fault.  Its normal for an operation from the C runtimes to be shown in the crash if the crash site is in that function. In this case its crashing in a memory copy function. That doesn't mean the bug is in that function specifically but that there is a faulty memory copy or that data is being overwritten.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Also you are running a really old version of Session Drummer dating back to 2009 and not the version that we install currently.

Session Drummer is not part of CbB. How would a user secure Session Drummer v1.4.1.29 if they do not have a version of SONAR containing it?

4 minutes ago, scook said:

Session Drummer is not part of CbB. How would a user secure Session Drummer v1.4.1.29 if they do not have a version of SONAR containing it?

Correct but the user should still have access to command center and be able to download the last shipped version of Session Drummer. I updated my post to avoid confusion.

15 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Correct but the user should still have access to command center and be able to download the last shipped version of Session Drummer. I updated my post to avoid confusion.

I downloaded command center, but my products are not showing up in it - even though they are registered on the website.

I googled this and people are saying nothing prior to the most recent version of sonar will show up, which is useless to me as I only have sonar 8.5.

Is there another way I can update SD3?

6 hours ago, rcklln said:

If you expand Sonar Platinum in Command Center you should see the Artist Instrument Collection. This should also be available from your account on the website.

I don't have Sonar Platinum.

Command Center says I don't have any products, even though I have Sonar 8.5 Producer registered on the website.

4 minutes ago, Shaade said:

Command Center says I don't have any products, even though I have Sonar 8.5 Producer registered on the website.

This is correct. The installers for most products released prior to 2015 were not rewritten to support the Command Center. Some of the older products with CCC compatible installers are synths that were bundled with Platinum (Dimension Pro and Rapture) and the CA-2A ProChannel Compressor. The only DAWs with Cakewalk Command Center compatible installers are SONAR Home Studio/Artist/Professional/Platinum and Music Creator 7.

7 minutes ago, scook said:

This is correct. The installers for most products released prior to 2015 were not rewritten to support the Command Center. Some of the older products with CCC compatible installers are synths that were bundled with Platinum (Dimension Pro and Rapture) and the CA-2A ProChannel Compressor. The only DAWs with Cakewalk Command Center compatible installers are SONAR Home Studio/Artist/Professional/Platinum and Music Creator 7.

Right. So the question still stands then; Is there another way I can update my SD3?

There have been quite a few bug fixes to the plug-ins bundled with SONAR 8.5. The fixes were included in the paid upgrades to SONAR 8.5. Support for SONAR 8.5 was dropped around 2013. Unless BandLab starts releasing more of the old Cakewalk products, it may be difficult to secure updates to the content bundled SONAR 8.5.

I usually hate to make this kind of suggestion, but maybe it's time to let go of Session Drummer and migrate to something else.

It's been a very long time since I've used SD, but IIRC it uses standard GM mapping by default, so it should be easy to drop in a replacement drum sampler without needing to alter your MIDI data. In the meantime, you can substitute the TTS-1 so you can continue to work on your project.

9 hours ago, bitflipper said:

I usually hate to make this kind of suggestion, but maybe it's time to let go of Session Drummer and migrate to something else.

I have to agree with you. Session Drummer is a dinosaur (but one of my favorite dinosaurs).

9 hours ago, bitflipper said:

It's been a very long time since I've used SD, but IIRC it uses standard GM mapping by default, so it should be easy to drop in a replacement drum sampler without needing to alter your MIDI data.

I believe you are correct. And if not need to alter, only minimum changes are necessary (a hi hat, tom)

13 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

I have to agree with you. Session Drummer is a dinosaur (but one of my favorite dinosaurs).

I believe you are correct. And if not need to alter, only minimum changes are necessary (a hi hat, tom)

Ah...alright. Can't afford it right now, but I'll think about replacing it as soon as I can.

Any recommendations? I've been looking at Superior Drummer 3 and FXpansion BFD3...

I'm using Cakewalk by Bandlab now of course, rather than Sonar 8.5 itself - if that's at all relevant.