What am I getting into going from Platinum to CBB

Hi everyone!

I've waited quite a while to have the time, I'm sure is needed, to dedicate to making the switch from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab freebie.

I've been hesitating for this long because I just can't wrap my mind around how we can go from a Platinum full version to whatever the free version by Bandlab contains?

A user since the 1st of the ProAudio days, I'm just not finding discussion of how this can be a good thing and what all I might be losing or gaining from the transfer over.  Any of you with insight on your switch over, good or bad, or re-direct me to where I might find discussion on this would be greatly appreciated.  

Feel free to move this discussion if there is a more appropriate place too.

Thanks everyone!

flop

Think of CbB as an upgrade to the SONAR Platinum core. CbB is an updated and supported version of Platinum without the bundled content.

Leave Platinum installed, add BandLab Assistant and use it to install and activate CbB.

Both Platinum and CbB will be available and everything available in 64bit Platinum will be available in CbB.

The updates and new features are detailed here and here.

Ok. That gives me some more insight. Thanks scook.  So at any point after my setup of CbB with Platinum left installed, would CbB be able to be stand alone with all the bundled Platinum content and Platinum could be deleted?  Or at this point, must keep both installed to reap benefits of Platinum bundle with CbB?

The current recommendation is leave Platinum installed.

It is possible to manually remove the SONAR Platinum folders (program , programData, Cakewalk Content, user directory) and clean up the registry without impacting the ability of CbB to use the bundled Platinum content. It is unlikely that all of the Platinum content will ever be included with CbB.

That said, removing Platinum does not return much disk space unless the tutorials were installed. If the tutorials were installed, deleting them from Cakewalk Ceontent will recover ~1GB. The Platinum program and support files are a couple of hundred MBs.

There has been plenty of threads about this topic and all will tell you the same.  CbB is pretty painless   Upgrade. If you already have Sonar then CbB is an upgrade with more stability and improvements. In my opinion only a fool would still be using Sonar. The only objection that  I’ve heard is those who still oddly enough want 32 bit  

CbB is an updated version of "Sonar Platinum".

As scook mentioned, the only things "missing"  are some of the bundled 3rd-party content.

For the moment, leave Sonar Platinum and CbB installed side-by-side. 

Once you are fully up-to-speed with CbB, you can always uninstall Sonar Platinum.

No reason to be anxious/apprehensive...

10 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

CbB is an updated version of "Sonar Platinum".

As scook mentioned, the only things "missing"  are some of the bundled 3rd-party content.

For the moment, leave Sonar Platinum and CbB installed side-by-side. 

Once you are fully up-to-speed with CbB, you can always uninstall Sonar Platinum.

No reason to be anxious/apprehensive...

To be clear for non Platinum owners, CbB is missing quite a few "in house" plugins too.  Rapture Pro,  Multi Band Comp, Non-Linear EQ, Adaptive Limiter.

But if you own Platinum all that transfers and is usable in CbB.  

CbB acts like an upgrade to any older Cakewalk DAW. IOW, the program and config files install in separate folders and shared folders are overwritten.

CbB is a 64bit DAW and will use of any content bundled with any older 64bit Cakewalk product installed on the machine. It will also use any 32bit VSTs if upgrading a 32bit Cakewalk product.

The plug-ins bundled with CbB are detailed in the help.

I agree with everything here 95%. I left Sonar Platinum installed and installed CbB. CbB is just plain better. However, at one point, there was an issue with TH3 and FX Chains that left me dead in the water for using them with CbB, so I had to use Platinum instead. I alerted Noel, and there was a fix in the next CbB. Haven't opened Platinum since then. It has become a sort of vestigial organ on my hard drive.

• Haha 1

The main advantage for me of course is keeping all of the Platinum plugins and 3rd party stuff. I'll gladly keep both programs on my hard drive for that benefit. CbB bridges over and "sees" all of your Platinum stuff. Best of both worlds IMO.

The only time this might not be the case is if you did some different things with file locations in Platinum. The new program "looks" for those normal locations to associate the files. I almost never open Platinum. It's more like insurance. It's only maybe 150mb as a program and I don't want to break anything that works.