SSD Prices

Reid Rosefelt

22 minutes ago, Fleer said:

It’s the streaming of orchestral samples that requires speed (and 64 gigs of ram). 

So, who actually streams?

OPUS?

SampleTank?

NI (or addons to Kontakt such as OTS)?

any others?

FWIW I have 128gb  of ram in both my PC and MacPro 2012, my libs are all on internal 8TB drives.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bapu said:

So, who actually streams?

OPUS?

SampleTank?

NI (or addons to Kontakt such as OTS)?

any others?

FWIW I have 128gb  of ram in both my PC and MacPro 2012, my libs are all on internal 8TB drives.

I’d invite you to the dark side, Bapster, but you can get a feel at VI Control if you’re so inclined ;)

Rest assured, Sampletank and most of NI or OTS don’t need heavy lifting. 
But if you’re thinking of the larger orchestral libs from East West, Spitfire Audio, Orchestral Tools, VSL and the like, well …

That PC of yours should run them easily if your cpu is up to date, your Mac Pro may be up for an upgrade though. Those internal drives may also run a bit slow. Or not ;)

6 minutes ago, Fleer said:

I’d invite you to the dark side, Bapster, but you can get a feel at VI Control if you’re so inclined ;)

Rest assured, Sampletank and most of NI or OTS don’t need heavy lifting. 
But if you’re thinking of the larger orchestral libs from East West, Spitfire Audio, Orchestral Tools, VSL and the like, well …

That PC of yours should run them easily if your cpu is up to date, your Mac Pro may be up for an upgrade though. Those internal drives may also run a bit slow. Or not ;)

I have a bunch of individual Spitfire libs that I got back in 2008 or earlier and EW Opus, no VSL or the like. I ran a decent size project using EW Hollywood Diamond with no discernable problems,  but I'm not sure that qualified as streaming(?).

My MacPro 8tb samples drive is a new (this year) WD Blue. I do have a 1TB NVME PCI drive in the MacPro.

I have all of my SATA ports used up. Each System has about 3 2TB HDDs.  I'm thinking of removing a lot of stuff rarely used and switching those drives to 1TB SSDs.  I probably don't ever use 75% that comes in Komplete Ultimate.  I've finally got my collection of loops down to under 400gb.  Sampletank eats a lot of space.

• Great Idea 1

Internal NVMEs are crazy fast. OTS libraries load in one second, maybe two. For someone who just switched from the spin disks that's a shock! I bought one 500GB two years ago as it looked like plenty space. Needless to say I ran out of space within the few next months... I blame this forum 🤣 After two years it feels laughable.

Now I'm on a lookout for a 2TB chip. Looks like plenty space...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I have all of my SATA ports used up. Each System has about 3 2TB HDDs.  I'm thinking of removing a lot of stuff rarely used and switching those drives to 1TB SSDs.  I probably don't ever use 75% that comes in Komplete Ultimate.  I've finally got my collection of loops down to under 400gb.  Sampletank eats a lot of space.

If you have a free PCie slot open, you can buy an inexpensive card with many SATA slots. It doesn't have to be that fast a PCIe card. (In other words, not so long, with a lot of lanes)   

I bought one with 4. I've used two, so I'm kicking myself because I should have gotten one with 6 or 8 ports. 

I have 4 NVme drives.  They do load stuff lightning fast.  But once the library is loaded--it's the same as a regular SSD. 

That's been my experience, that's what I've read, and that's what I've heard from people on VI:Control.   

If you have libraries you use a lot that load super slow then it can save you a lot of annoyance. Some Audiofier libraries used to bug me.  Or if you do big orchestral templates (but IMHO VEP pro is a better solution).  But most of my libraries don't bother me at all.  I have many of them on a regular platter.  They come right up from there, so who cares? 

But I love having the NVMe's for certain things.  Now that I can't put in any more, I'm going to be moving libraries around to get the most benefit.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

If you have a free PCie slot open, you can buy an inexpensive card with many SATA slots. It doesn't have to be that fast a PCIe card. (In other words, not so long, with a lot of lanes)   

I bought one with 4. I've used two, so I'm kicking myself because I should have gotten one with 6 or 8 ports. 

What cards do you have?   I'm thinking of going this route.  The only thing is mounting  the SSDs.   I might have to use duct tape.

Instead of adding 4 SATA ports, consider adding 4 nvme slots if your motherboard supports PCIe multiplex (a BIOS setting that converts one physical PCIe x16 slot into 4 logical  PCIe x4 devices).

https://www.newegg.com/asus-model-hyper-m-2-x16-card-v2-pci-express-to-4-x-m-2/p/N82E16815293043?Description=asus hyper m.2 x16 card v2&cm_re=asus_hyper m.2 x16 card v2-_-15-293-043-_-Product

2 hours ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

Instead of adding 4 SATA ports, consider adding 4 nvme slots if your motherboard supports PCIe multiplex (a BIOS setting that converts one physical PCIe x16 slot into 4 logical  PCIe x4 devices).

https://www.newegg.com/asus-model-hyper-m-2-x16-card-v2-pci-express-to-4-x-m-2/p/N82E16815293043?Description=asus hyper m.2 x16 card v2&cm_re=asus_hyper m.2 x16 card v2-_-15-293-043-_-Product

Seems like too much of a rocket science to me.