SSD Prices

Reid Rosefelt

A week or two ago I put down the prices on some SSDs and NVMes on my VI:Control list.

Every day I update the prices.  If it only changes by a dollar or two, I just adjust it.  But if it changes by a reasonable amount, I cross out the old price and show the new one.

For example, the Samsung 2TB 870 EVO started out at $279.99, then it was $259.99, and as of this moment it is $238.48.

I say "as of this moment" because I've learned that these prices are very volatile.  You can go back an hour later and the price goes back up again. 

Another thing that happens is that Amazon goes out of stock of a certain drive for a day or two. 

You can find my list here

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/tiger-the-frogs-categorized-alphabetized-list-of-november-2021-sales.116454/post-4952242

Full disclosure: these are affiliate links.  If you spend $100, I get $2.50.   So if you're uncomfortable with that, just go to Amazon without the link.

But I think these prices will help you evaluate what the good deals are, particularly when we get to Cyber Monday.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I'm stalking NVME 1tb gen 3 sticks and they have been dropping for sure.  I'm buying from a local brick and mortar but the WD blue price has gone from $119 a couple months ago to $79 now.  I'll pick up one at this price and see if it drops any more maybe get another one.  

Just remember to be careful about specs on these things.   How fast are they supposed to be?

For example, with NVme drives, some are PCIe (which are fast) and others are SATA, which can't be faster than a regular SSD drive.  The speed of a drive is contingent on the speed of the connection.

Probably you know this, but I think it's worth mentioning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

Just now, Bapu said:

Mebee Imma dumbo but why would you not put your libs on an external high capacity (16tb?) drive?

Good point but if you look at those internal speeds, they’re from another planet. We’re talking over 5000 MB/s. Try doing that with an external one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fleer said:

Good point but if you look at those internal speeds, they’re from another planet. We’re talking over 5000 MB/s. Try doing that with an external one. 

1 minute ago, cclarry said:

Faster Load times being directly on the buss, then USB 3, or C, can offer! Especially if it's an NVMe drive...

Agreed but for the home hobbyist are faster load times really your primary concern? Just asking.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Agreed but for the home hobbyist are faster load times really your primary concern? Just asking.

It’s the streaming of orchestral samples that requires speed (and 64 gigs of ram). Otherwise those external drives and 16GB easily suffice, as my humble iMac shows. So, if you’re not into orchestral, you’re home safe.