Invert waveform when switching phase

OddSox

Invert waveform view when switching phase  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the waveform inverted while switching over the phase?

• Yes
    • No

I think it would be nice to see the picture of the recording (the waveform) inverted while switching the phase over. It wouldn't be just nice but also informative in a way and also intuitive if you feel what I mean. I can't explain it better.

• Great Idea 1

Although in principle this sounds like a reasonable (and quite useful) request, it's problematic due to where in the signal flow the phase is actually shifted.

The clip wave form shows clip properties only, which are the waveform itself plus any changes in clip pan automation, clip gain automation, and fade in/out.  It's a view of the waveform before it goes through the clip effects bin, or any of the track effects.

The phase is set at a track level, which is way further on in the signal chain.

Apart from the clips not being directly aware of the track's phase, it's also not aware of any processing being done in the meantime by plugins (which could also be flipping the phase).

So the issue is, that while it might be useful for a very simple track, in practice it might be confusing for users by giving them a false representation of the waveform. 

As it stands it's unambiguous - it's a view of the waveform before it goes through the clip effects bin, or any of the track effects.

• Like 2

I would also say that if you want the waveform to look inverted then that should be affected by actually changing the wave data and not just the display.  If I were to hit the phase invert button and the waveform inverted then, I personally, would probably get confused wether the waveform was the non-inverted waveform and the button was inverting it or if it represented what the button indicated.

It might be better to "apply" a phase invert to the wavefile, show the waveform as it is on disk. This is just my own personal preference.

• Like 1