Cakewalk crashing and causing ASIO driver to hang.

So I have been having issues with Cakewalk, in fact it's kind of a brick wall that I'd consider a huge liability.

I have this project that basically sending MIDI data to my SD-50 with the objective of creating a MIDI file that is specific to the SD-50. However, I ran into an issue where if I move the transport past a certain point in the song, it would crash as soon as I hit play, causing the MIDI module and the ASIO driver to hang, forcing a system restart each time. I don't have the time or resources to diagnose this further, and it doesn't help that only an empty dump file was created. I am going to just include the project file itself so you can take a look at it yourselves. I am running Windows 7 x64 with 8 GB of RAM, my SD-50 is being used here as my ASIO interface and MIDI module. Keep in mind, the song plays fine if run from the start, and only crashes if the transport is past a certain point.

080304f54e.png

TEAR-The 4 Fates.cwp

Edited by LadyFuzztail

15 minutes ago, garybrun said:

Good work on your song!
I tried your project file and it does not crash on my system,

Did you try starting from a later part of the song? I believe I mentioned that the project plays fine if I start from the beginning. Thanks though!

I may have found a clue in Windows Event Viewer which ended up logging the crashes.
XlhQGLr.png

yPy74t1.png

Glad....well not glad 'cause it sux......to see I'm not the only one with this issue. I have 3 different devices on my system (running Win 10). A Behringer UMC 1820, and old M Audio 2496 PCI card and Macke Blackbird Firewire interface. Any large project that I have, large meaning over 20 tracks and a lot of Pro Channel stuff will have this problem. I have tried with all three audio devices individually and it happens regardless. Smaller projects are fine. This issue is with both Platinum and Cakewalk. 

I think I may have fixed this issue. I looked deeper into event viewer and noticed that my Bluetooth driver had also malfunctioned at around the same time, with the same error opcode. Since I don't use Bluetooth on this PC anymore I uninstalled it, along with a bunch of other software I no longer need, and that seemed to make the crash go away.

I also realized that I forgot to launch Bandlab Assistant before launching Cakewalk, maybe that might be causing some of the crashes?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, emwhy said:

Glad....well not glad 'cause it sux......to see I'm not the only one with this issue. I have 3 different devices on my system (running Win 10). A Behringer UMC 1820, and old M Audio 2496 PCI card and Macke Blackbird Firewire interface. Any large project that I have, large meaning over 20 tracks and a lot of Pro Channel stuff will have this problem. I have tried with all three audio devices individually and it happens regardless. Smaller projects are fine. This issue is with both Platinum and Cakewalk. 

If it's only larger projects crashing CbB, I'd test your system's RAM.

• Like 1

If it's only larger projects crashing CbB, I'd test your system's RAM.

It may also be tied to Drumagog. I've had that particular plug-in crash Cakewalk, Samplitude, as well at various times. My issue is when closing the program or the project. It plays fine, I save things, close out and the program hangs until I shut off my audio device's power then power on again. After that I can restart the program. Happens almost 6 out 10 times with big projects where Drumagog is in use. I may also try Craig Anderton's tip from way back of killing the HD Audio driver tied to my video card in Device Manager to see if that helps

One other thing, I used Azlow's Sonar to Reaper converter and ported a few projects over and I don't have the shutdown problem even with Drumagog.  But that obviously doesn't bring over the Pro Channel or effects chains.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Reviving this topic because I am encountering the same issue, this time with an arrangement project I started. It seems to be  caused by mfc140u.dll and ucrtbase.dll. Here are the event viewer logs I found. (No minidumps are found, so I am attaching my project) In the attached project, I have 2 synths loaded, Kontakt 6 full with Shreddage 3 Abyss and GGD Invasion.

Faulting application name: Cakewalk.exe, version: 25.5.0.31, time stamp: 0x5cdc84ca
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.DLL, version: 10.0.14393.2990, time stamp: 0x5caeb96f
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x000000000006e01f
Faulting process id: 0x15b0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5376ece2bc3f0
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\ucrtbase.DLL
Report Id: fcd050ab-a362-11e9-91f2-14dae91bb58f

Faulting application name: Cakewalk.exe, version: 25.5.0.31, time stamp: 0x5cdc84ca
Faulting module name: mfc140u.dll, version: 14.16.27024.1, time stamp: 0x5be333a9
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000239d42
Faulting process id: 0x1704
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5376be835a431
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\mfc140u.dll
Report Id: 0e545d59-a360-11e9-8d76-14dae91bb58f

Compassion is the Way.cwp

Both of those are standard Microsoft DLL's.

mfc140u.dll is the unicode version of the Microsoft Foundation Classes DLL. It's what most programs use to interface with the Windows API.

ucrtbase.dll is the Microsoft's Universal C Runtime dll - again, used by many, many programs.

There's two possible reasons for these errors:

1. They've somehow become corrupt (but if this were the case you'd be seeing crashes in many more programs than just Cakewalk) or;

2. There's a bug in either Cakewalk, or a plugin. Given that most people aren't seeing this, I'd suggest the latter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Both of those are standard Microsoft DLL's.

mfc140u.dll is the unicode version of the Microsoft Foundation Classes DLL. It's what most programs use to interface with the Windows API.

ucrtbase.dll is the Microsoft's Universal C Runtime dll - again, used by many, many programs.

There's two possible reasons for these errors:

1. They've somehow become corrupt (but if this were the case you'd be seeing crashes in many more programs than just Cakewalk) or;

2. There's a bug in either Cakewalk, or a plugin. Given that most people aren't seeing this, I'd suggest the latter.

It could be Kontakt, since it was happening enough for me.

It also could be that i am running Window 7 still

I was hoping that freezing all of the Kontakt synths would fix the constant crashing, but alas, it still happens. Even after updating flash and windows. I decided to check the minidump folder, and whatddya know, I found something useful just from the crashes that happened today alone. I am getting disturbingly used to these crashes, which should not be the case.

I also include the project folder with some bounced audio to give you a picture of what I am working on : https://mega.nz/#F!vZ0XAQ6Y!Nchpx-vvGrOcNXctv_-0_g

Another development was when I opened the project the first time since a restart. (Which I needed to do often since it ends up hijacking my ASIO drivers and refuses to release it when it crashes) it crashes on load with this message : 

image.png.c769bda6506fc1fc757ea8775f812084.png

This is interesting, because reopening Cakewalk and loading this project again created no issues.

Compassion is the Way - MiniDumps.zip

Edited by LadyFuzztail
Forgot the project link