Multitrack Comping

Byron Dickens

You need to make sure that the clips for each cooresponding take are linked.  That is, clip for take 1 linked with all other clips for take 1 in the other drum tracks.  Then when you comp one track the others will follow.

If you record the drums with Group all clips or Group only clilps in folders this will have been done for you at record time. Otherwise you will have to set it up manually by multi selecting the associated clips, one from each channel, and linking them.

image.png.1c2c011dde471934ed7365b6a78a84dc.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I must be missing something. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this and I haven't been able to find it in the documentation.

I have 4 tracks (Kick, Snare Overhead L and Overhead R) with several take lanes each.

I want to be able to audition, say, take 1 of all four tracks simultaneously and then switch to take 2, 3 & so on. The only way I've been able to do this is  soloing each corresponding take lane track by track.

Very tedious and more than once I drove myself nuts by not having all my soloed takes match.

The way I finally got my comp done was by just using one of the overhead tracks to make my selections and then copying them track by track.

Surely, I can't be the first person to comp multitrack drums. It's enough of a pain with 4 mikes; I couldn't imagine doing it this way with  double miked kick and snare, tom mikes, overheads and close and far stereo room mikes!

7 hours ago, bdickens said:

I must be missing something. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this and I haven't been able to find it in the documentation.

I have 4 tracks (Kick, Snare Overhead L and Overhead R) with several take lanes each.

I want to be able to audition, say, take 1 of all four tracks simultaneously and then switch to take 2, 3 & so on. The only way I've been able to do this is  soloing each corresponding take lane track by track.

Very tedious and more than once I drove myself nuts by not having all my soloed takes match.

The way I finally got my comp done was by just using one of the overhead tracks to make my selections and then copying them track by track.

Surely, I can't be the first person to comp multitrack drums. It's enough of a pain with 4 mikes; I couldn't imagine doing it this way with  double miked kick and snare, tom mikes, overheads and close and far stereo room mikes!

There's definitely a better way than what you're doing. I've made a video specifically for you here:

I've also got another video on the channel talking about editing multi-tracked drums in Cakewalk in a more efficient manner (its rather old now but I guess it may be still relevant for you):

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Wong Jian Ming selection group approach is the best solution for this problem and this was one of the main reasons for this feature. While you can use solo for take lanes its not really intended for use across multiple tracks. This is because tracks can have different sets of lanes depending on whether they were recorded separately.
This help topic explains the use of selection groups for comping.

4 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Wong Jian Ming selection group approach is the best solution for this problem and this was one of the main reasons for this feature. While you can use solo for take lanes its not really intended for use across multiple tracks. This is because tracks can have different sets of lanes depending on whether they were recorded separately.
This help topic explains the use of selection groups for comping.

I'm learning about this... thanks Noel.

A little off topic, but: I don't see the images inserted in the help topic. Am I missing something?

image.png.b15f2958c63b8a13dd2c42f2d8ebd702.png

1 hour ago, Andres Medina said:

I'm learning about this... thanks Noel.

A little off topic, but: I don't see the images inserted in the help topic. Am I missing something?

image.png.b15f2958c63b8a13dd2c42f2d8ebd702.png

This is because the images are stored on a non-secure server, whereas the rest of the site is being served up from a secure server.

Either:

1. Change the start of the website address to http:// instead of https://   or
2. Set your browser to allow mixed content for cakewalk.com

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

This is because the images are stored on a non-secure server, whereas the rest of the site is being served up from a secure server.

Either:

1. Change the start of the website address to http:// instead of https://   or
2. Set your browser to allow mixed content for cakewalk.com

Got it. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...