Jump to content
cclarry

XLN Black Friday Sale

Recommended Posts

No hip hop expansions, but dry kit, soul, modern funk, and older kits with both fairfax and Black and Blue oyster. Jazz kit comes in a stick and brushes variety and the Mallet kit has mallets and stick as one kit. There's an electronic kit mad with various 80's drum machines. 

 

You can install AD2 in demo mode and you get a preview of all the kits available. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Kamikaze said:

You can install AD2 in demo mode and you get a preview of all the kits available.

Oh, that's nice. Just did that. Thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it me or it s been a while they didnt dropped a new AD expansion ?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Zo said:

Is it me or it s been a while they didnt dropped a new AD expansion ?!

It's been a Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong while

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cclarry said:

It's been a Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong while

4 years - Mallets

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of interest, what kits are they really lacking?

 

I actually sent them an email about a mallets kit about a year before. I also asked for another Kit piece  with a brushed snare as an alternative and to compliment the brush. As they didn't do any other kits of interest from me to pick up the mallets as a part of a custom kit, it took me 4 years (this week) to finally buy the mallet kit I harassed them for.   

 

Edited by Kamikaze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

Out of interest, what kits are they really lacking?

 

I actually sent them an email about a mallets kit about a year before. I also asked for another Kit piece  with a brushed snare as an alternative and to compliment the brush. As they didn't do any other kits of interest from me to pick up the mallets as a part of a custom kit, it took me 4 years (this week) to finally buy the mallet kit I harassed them for.   

 

Electronic (more variety)

LoFi 

Dry stuff but not specially vintage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

Out of interest, what kits are they really lacking?

 

I actually sent them an email about a mallets kit about a year before. I also asked for another Kit piece  with a brushed snare as an alternative and to compliment the brush. As they didn't do any other kits of interest from me to pick up the mallets as a part of a custom kit, it took me 4 years (this week) to finally buy the mallet kit I harassed them for.   

 

All of this, of course, is completely subjective. They're really not lacking much. If you find what you like, you're set. 

Personally, I think AD2 lacks a kit played with brushes that would be more suited for acoustic rock (think Damien Rice). They have a jazz brushes library which sounds very nice, but doesn't quite fit the way a drummer uses brushes with rock. 

Again, completely subjective, but AD2 has very processed sounding drums -- which can be a benefit (i.e., their drums are ready to go in a mix), but I simply like (okay, love) the samples and processing of Toontrack's kits much better. They just sound richer, fuller, more full bodied and often tuned more like the way I tune my drums. But SD3 is more than 3x the cost of AD2 and the kits are a lot more expensive. So that is also a consideration. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Zo said:

Electronic (more variety)

LoFi 

Dry stuff but not specially vintage

Apart from the machines they sampled, What machines would you ad for variety.

Any kit can be made LoFi. They go into studios to record kits in their ambiance.  LoFi is what happens to a kit after. It's kind of the point of the RC-20. 

All the kits can be made dry, by pulling off the room and overhead spill. The dry kit had a dampened kit in a absorbent studio. 

 

I'm not really getting you here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PavlovsCat said:

All of this, of course, is completely subjective. They're really not lacking much. If you find what you like, you're set. 

Personally, I think AD2 lacks a kit played with brushes that would be more suited for acoustic rock (think Damien Rice). They have a jazz brushes library which sounds very nice, but doesn't quite fit the way a drummer uses brushes with rock. 

Again, completely subjective, but AD2 has very processed sounding drums -- which can be a benefit (i.e., their drums are ready to go in a mix), but I simply like (okay, love) the samples and processing of Toontrack's kits much better. They just sound richer, fuller, more full bodied and often tuned more like the way I tune my drums. But SD3 is more than 3x the cost of AD2 and the kits are a lot more expensive. So that is also a consideration. 

I'm kind of with you with the brush kit, which is why I messaged them about making an alternative snare as a nitpicker.  There are a number of articulations on the brush snare below the kick drum. So it would have made a worth while kit piece to buy.   And helped the brush kit move away from a Jazz sound to a folk sound. Although it's not so bad at that. 'Welcome Home' Demo https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/addictive_drums_2/adpak/modern_jazz_brushes

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kamikaze said:

Apart from the machines they sampled, What machines would you ad for variety.

Any kit can be made LoFi. They go into studios to record kits in their ambiance.  LoFi is what happens to a kit after. It's kind of the point of the RC-20. 

All the kits can be made dry, by pulling off the room and overhead spill. The dry kit had a dampened kit in a absorbent studio. 

 

I'm not really getting you here. 

RC 20 is heavily used here , but when i say Lofiu it's in the technical sens of term :

MPC 60 / Akai 950 12 bits reso 

SP 1200 ect .... more drum machine threaw it ect ... i do  have the gold baby stuff and i'm covered , i'm saying here that they could have proposed this kinda material , EZ drummer with the hip hop expansion pretty nailed a lot of ground .... i had high hopes when i grabbed xln drul mlachine expecting other volumes ect ...

As for the dry , i mean more "damped" like reggae kits ect .... at source , it's not a question of room but i should have been more precise ;)

Edited by Zo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kamikaze said:

I'm kind of with you with the brush kit, which is why I messaged them about making an alternative snare as a nitpicker.  There are a number of articulations on the brush snare below the kick drum. So it would have made a worth while kit piece to buy.   And helped the brush kit move away from a Jazz sound to a folk sound. Although it's not so bad at that. 'Welcome Home' Demo https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/addictive_drums_2/adpak/modern_jazz_brushes

 

Hahaha! After listening to a demo that sounded a lot like Damien Rice, I regret using Damien Rice as an example. I really meant more of the hard hits a rock drummer does when playing with brushes that are very much unlike the way a brushes are used in jazz (writing that as a drummer). The Damien Rice like demo does sound very nice, it's still using brushes very gently, like you would use in a jazz context. But wait, I see you have a picture of Animal as your avitar-- are you a drummer too? Also, now I wish I chose Animal instead of Felix the Cat! Hahaha. I'm actually kinda serious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know EZ drummer. I don't understand the concept of a hip hop kit though. Were 4 decaeds into hip hop, so I don't know what it would sound like. The Hip Hop I like would easily be covered by the vintage kits that already come. But the more modern stuff, isn't that's whats XO is all about.  

 

Reggae is a fair point. I'm not big on reggae, but it's big enough a genre to have kit recorded in say Studio One 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Hahaha! After listening to a demo that sounded a lot like Damien Rice, I regret using Damien Rice as an example. I really meant more of the hard hits a rock drummer does when playing with brushes that are very much unlike the way a brushes are used in jazz (writing that as a drummer). The Damien Rice like demo does sound very nice, it's still using brushes very gently, like you would use in a jazz context. But wait, I see you have a picture of Animal as your avitar-- are you a drummer too? Also, now I wish I chose Animal instead of Felix the Cat! Hahaha. I'm actually kinda serious. 

When I posted up a few threads back about messaging XLN to do a mallets kit, there was another suggestion I made but I couldn't remember what it was. Hot rods kit, an unplugged kit for acoustic rock. 

 

EDIT:Sorry missed your last point. Just a bog Jim Henson Fan Would love to play the drums, but Bass is my main focus now, if by focus I mean in a myopic way. 

Edited by Kamikaze
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, cclarry said:

My experiences with Toontrack have been nothing but good.
I'm sure there was a good reason (for them) to shut the door
on upgrades...I highly doubt it was "arbitrary", and just to make
people mad...that's not their MO....

I’m surprised to read that. You’re usually pretty quick to go against bad business decisions. I never had a bad experience with Toontrack, but the argument you give to justify their decision  could be used for any company you go against. I’m sure no company will do anything voluntarily to make their customers angry. But pulling the upgrade price away is certainly not a wise decision for the customers…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny enough, I just posted a thread on VI Control to ask about cello libraries and came across a thread about how Toontrack pulling upgrade pricing alienated a lot of customers. I didn't post in it, at least not yet. I do hope, at some point, Toontrack reverses that decision. Someone actually posted a screenshot of Toontrack's original message, which they rightfully commented, used scare tactics -- stating that the product will no longer work at some point and they won't support it any longer. That is, sleazy, manipulative marketing and that is what caused me to not upgrade, hoping that others would also vote with their wallets. It's usually the one tactic that has a real chance of getting companies like this to change course. But this one is particularly stubborn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2021 at 6:45 PM, PavlovsCat said:

I find Toontrack is one of the least customer loyal plugin developers in this business

This.

I'm done with them after they pulled that upgrade now or else stunt.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...