XLN Black Friday Sale

cclarry

7 minutes ago, asprog said:

I don't really understand the interest of the genre collections compared to the custom collections considering the price...

Are custom collections only for new buyers? If I still have AD2, can I buy these?

Genre Collections give you kits based on a particular Genre...the Custom Collections let you choose which
kits you want...so you can "cross genres" with the Custom option.  I agree..it makes no sense...you could pick 
your kits "in the genre you want" with the Custom option...so it's basically redundant.
You can buy the Custom Collections anytime...they let you pick the kits you want.

Edited by cclarry
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I stopped using XLN a while ago...it's basically "abandonware", their marketing is horrid,
and it offers nothing over the other options, which get updated and added to regularly.

Larry!!!

Wash your mouth out with soap, such harsh words coming from such a fine young  man as you.  Now you were raised much better than that!!!   

image.png.64a2d1ab26b243d38f228681f0e81d08.png

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I stopped using XLN a while ago...

Do you have a favorite drum program?  I tried the EZ Drummer demo, but was not impressed... thought AD2 was better, so I still use those drums, but I also use JamStix a lot though I usually substitute better sounding kits.    I also use various kits with 3rd party MIDI files... I really the OddGrooves MIDI files.

I'm curious what you're using.

I purchased about 4 custom packs from XLN. Because of pricing and getting 3 kitpeices with each. Never had any issues authorising them. I also grabbed the Faifax as a matched pair. I still have 2 kitpeices to select out of 4.

There are about 4 kits left I haven't bot, but it just the mallets I've been holding out for. This will be the first single kit I've bought from them.

Some don't like how the cybals are recorded with no direct mics, but I kinda dig it, If I want them seperated, you can just remove the rest of the kit from the overheads. I think it reflects a lot of how kits are recorded. I kind of like some limits sometimes.

Most of these kits were recorded in different studios to give a different ambiance to the overheads and room mics. For this reason I don't think there will ever be an AD4. They'd have to go back to all those studios to expand these kits. So Ad3 would be competently new sampling sessions. But I like that for once I don't have to worry about more upgrades around the corner.

Most disappointing kit for me is the Session Percussion. I thought it would be a percussionist set up, set up like a drum kit for a percussionist to play along with drums. But it's percussion set up like a drum kit for a drummer to play. earlies this year I was experimenting with Salsa, but I couldn't program a basic Tumbao with articulations provided on the Congas, so I bought Native Instruments Çuba' pack 

51 minutes ago, Michael A.D. said:

Do you have a favorite drum program?  I tried the EZ Drummer demo, but was not impressed... thought AD2 was better, so I still use those drums, but I also use JamStix a lot though I usually substitute better sounding kits.    I also use various kits with 3rd party MIDI files... I really the OddGrooves MIDI files.

I'm curious what you're using.

Superior Drummer 3...by far...

And you might want to look again at EZ-Drummer 2...
The Songwriter alone is worth the price of entry...but YMMV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I stopped using XLN a while ago...it's basically "abandonware", their marketing is horrid,
and it offers nothing over the other options, which get updated and added to regularly.

Abandonware is not the correct term and has the wrong connotation.
They still regularly update their stuff (presumably bug fixes, as I don't recall seeing a change list in a while), they're just not offering new kits or pieces.
But I still like the sound of their kits and  XO, which was their most recent was the most recent addition, gets a lot of use. 
I find with XO I can pretty much dial in what ever drum sound/type I'm looking for and then get back to song writing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheSteven said:

Abandonware is not the correct term and has the wrong connotation.
They still regularly update their stuff (presumably bug fixes, as I don't recall seeing a change list in a while), they're just not offering new kits or pieces.
But I still like the sound of their kits and  XO, which was their most recent was the most recent addition, gets a lot of use. 
I find with XO I can pretty much dial in what ever drum sound/type I'm looking for and then get back to song writing. 

Hence the term "basically"....I didn't say it "was" abandonware...

Just got the mallet kit form Audio Deluxe, they added the coupon Fall21 to my cart and a free Melda FreeformAnalogEQ, for a total of 35.98Bucks (as they say on that site).

Plus an extra 1.74DeloxBucks.

So now I am thinking about something different

XLN XO

BF 64.00

Fall21 - 7.02

DB - 1.74

Total 55.24

Hmmmm...

I escaped the Black Friday claws last year, slippery slope

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Superior Drummer 3...by far...

And you might want to look again at EZ-Drummer 2...
The Songwriter alone is worth the price of entry...but YMMV

I really like the Transform function to play with velocity dynamics in AD2.  I typically start in Step Sequencer and drag my beat into AD2 to massage the velocities. I really wish there was a swing in the Transform, and they ditch the random timing knob. 

I contact XLN to ask them how I save my beat after I drag them into AD2 tranform and they said 'You can't drag a beat into transform'', so you can save it. Ater a few messages they replied that they didn't know that you could do what I was doing. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

...it's basically "abandonware", their marketing is horrid,

As opposed to other products that either have regular paid upgrades, or a subscription, or a WUP plan...

XLN AD2 is a mature product that works very well, and probably doesn't need many new features. I commend them for continued support and maintenance releases for free.

But I agree, a new kit every now and then would be nice... :)

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

9 minutes ago, Canopus said:

I have everything XLN Audio has to offer. Yes, everything. That’s how much I like them.

Everything. Even the all the midi packs?

Just bought XO too,

So now I have all everything but Drum replacer, 4 Adpaks, I have 2 of 4 kit pieces still to choose.  and a stack of midipacks I've no intention to buy.

I don't have stacks of plug-ins, but I like their stuff. But I have nothing left from them I have any interest in. 

RC20 And DS10 are nice and I like the the Upright and Rhodes and the Grand. Focusrite gave me the extra licence to get the Electric Keys.

Now I has the last AD2 kit I wanted (I actually suggested to them about making a mallet kit and year later it was the last kit they made. I have no idea if I planted that seed). 

XO round out my palette of drum sounds and should compliment what I already have well. (Plus it's eased te frustation I'm having wit Sonible at the moment)

I too am a fan of AD2. I have most the ADpaks and MIDI packs which I obtained from several purchases of the Custom Collections (the bundle that allows you to select 3 ADpaks, 3 MIDIpaks, 3 Kitpiece Paks of your choice).

What I like most about AD2, compared to other drum VIs, is the huge variety and quality of MIDI loops, the way in which you can easily and extensively modify them, the large variety of kits/timbres, the plugin's CPU-friendliness and stability, and the relatively low-cost to own (I only paid between $55-60 for each of those Custom Collections).

With just a few 3rd-party plugins you can create some really great drum tracks (and I'm not even a drummer).

The only thing I wish for is the ability to increase the size of the GUI. Thanks to Kamikaze (below), I now know that we can resize the GUI!

Edited by locrian
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, locrian said:

The only thing I wish for is the ability to increase the size of the GUI.

You can.

The site won't let me upload a picture at the moment. Click on the 3 bars net to Beats for the setting menu and choose UI Scaling

ad2.png

Edited by Kamikaze
  • Thanks 1

One man's junk is another man's treasure...

AD is vastly inferior in every aspect, other than sound quality, being "on par",
but the MIDI capabilities of EZDrummer are far superior to Addictive drums,
and are about to get even better soon....

But...as the saying goes....opinions are like....you know...