lamb to the slaughter pre mixdown

Paul Bush

Hi Paul.... great song....nice changes, nice melodies, instruments playing real good sounds....maybe bring in the background vx sooner as they give a nice lift....for a work in progress i say keep going in the direction you have and keep polishing....maybe a piano added for extra texture 🎶🎸🎙️🥁

Edited by Larry T.
clarity.
  • Like 1

Hey Paul . . . another good one in the works for you here. Really enjoyed the vocals, lyrics, and especially that moody clean guitar in the intro part. Your overall mix so far is pretty clear, though, I really think a much rounder kick drum sound would suit this one, mostly in the intro part, high tac beater really stands out there. It seems like it's trying to sync with the bass guitar part, but bass is mixed quite low in comparison. You mention not being happy with your guitar solo, I thought melodically it works quite well, and maybe it will grow on you as the mix fills in around it more ? Had a few listens, you know I'm always a fanboy of your voice ! . . . and your guitar skills are no slouch either, I'll circle back in a bit as this one develops . . .

• Like 1

This reminds me of the great classic songwriters, Paul Anka or burt Bacharach or Paul Williams;really monumental.  A ll the images and story are presented clearly. The melody is catchy. Only problem is I couldn't get the image of Hannibal lechter out of my head. (Jk) this is one that will last. Great job.

• Like 1

Nice clean mix, great work. Honest opinion which is maybe personal preference or my ears.  The bass kick has to much of a constant click sound and not a rounded warm thud for what is a warm overall sound where it should be sat in the music. Sounds discounted in the mix, sits out to much and not in the music with the bass. That little break before you sing, you can hear the bass wanting to hit the kick or the kick hit the bass so it blends in more, less separated.  I know some people like to hear the kick but it distracts  from the good vocals and guitar work in this type of track,  should complement together with the bass and not really be heard. Great track, i listen 3 times  and that would really tidy it up, great track

On 11/19/2021 at 3:27 AM, noynekker said:

Hey Paul . . . another good one in the works for you here. Really enjoyed the vocals, lyrics, and especially that moody clean guitar in the intro part. Your overall mix so far is pretty clear, though, I really think a much rounder kick drum sound would suit this one, mostly in the intro part, high tac beater really stands out there. It seems like it's trying to sync with the bass guitar part, but bass is mixed quite low in comparison. You mention not being happy with your guitar solo, I thought melodically it works quite well, and maybe it will grow on you as the mix fills in around it more ? Had a few listens, you know I'm always a fanboy of your voice ! . . . and your guitar skills are no slouch either, I'll circle back in a bit as this one develops . . .

Thanks noynekker , Ive taken my time with this one , I`ve swopped out that bass drum and intro bass guitar Ive brought the piano`s up in the mix and generally mopped up bits `n´ pieces  ready to do a more smoother mixdown... I put that (grimsby docks) tune on the backburner , ready for a later date to be  worked on it needs a fresh approach  anyways thanks for your comments always welcome cheers paul

Edited by Paul Bush
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Paul Bush said:

Thanks noynekker , Ive taken my time with this one , I`ve swopped out that bass drum and intro bass guitar Ive brought the piano`s up in the mix and generally mopped up bits `n´ pieces  ready to do a more smoother mixdown... I put that (grimsby docks) tune on the backburner , ready for a later date to be  worked on it needs a fresh approach  anyways thanks for your comments always welcome cheers paul

Hi Paul,  sometimes instead of bringing things up like the piano (means instruments and frequency's can compete more when you bring things up) think about bringing other things down (do a mix recall scene and try both ways, save your scene of as up mix and down mix) turning other things down gives you more headroom, trade secrete to mixing and mastering. To go step further if you not already, you can make more room on EQ and panning so it sits in the mix or out of the mix, depending if its a hook to sit out or a rhythm to sit in or if you making some room depth or width etc Interested to here the next mix of this, keep me posted 

• Like 1

Great song Paul! Certainly different to what I was expecting from the title, and it being just a little after Halloween :)

For what it's worth, I quite liked the guitar solo. As some of the comments mention, the kick is a little clicky, but you could probably still use it if you put a little EQ on it: try cutting at around 5k; if you wanted a bit more thump in it, you could also try boosting slightly around 150Hz and/or parallel compression.

Very nice melodies and chord progressions - well done!

• Like 1