Is It Helpful to Have Separate General and Q&A Forums?

henkejs

My opinion is the people who created this forum have intended purposes for each and it may take a few rides around the track before they decide to make some carburetor adjustments.

You know I sound old when I say the word "carburetor". I probably should have said fuel injected xD

7 hours ago, Larry Jones said:

You succinctly addressed the problem. Unless a moderator imposes order by moving things around, restricting access, maybe deleting "irrelevant" posts, etc., "General" and Q&A" might as well be collapsed into one. Why debate something that "ain't gonna happen?" The people at Bandlab are smarter than that.

I agree.

This is the kind of situation that really confuses me, although not nearly as bad as some forums, where there are so many sections that you don't know where to post, and you finally give it your best shot, and then soemone comes back and says "You posted this in the wrong place." Arggh!

12 hours ago, Larry Jones said:

You succinctly addressed the problem. Unless a moderator imposes order by moving things around, restricting access, maybe deleting "irrelevant" posts, etc., "General" and Q&A" might as well be collapsed into one. Why debate something that "ain't gonna happen?" The people at Bandlab are smarter than that.

+1

On 12/30/2018 at 4:17 PM, InstrEd said:

Agreed.Plus I do believe we will have an influx of new forum members that got CbB after the cakewalk forum was closed to new members and the separation might be good to have.

Me too. I mainly use forums to find answers to questions. Though I worry that people won't be able to pass up the opportunity of turning some Q&A items into discussions or, worse yet, debates.

28 minutes ago, Twisted Fingers said:

Me too. I mainly use forums to find answers to questions. Though I worry that people won't be able to pass up the opportunity of turning some Q&A items into discussions or, worse yet, debates.

Man I disagree. Let me tell you why...…..

🤡

5 hours ago, Kev said:

Having separate forums only works well if each forum has a definite title and description that describes its intended use clearly. The word "general" in a title doesn't convey very much at all.

The descriptions below the titles seem pretty clear to me, no? I don't get the issue at all tbh, takes all of 5 seconds to figure out. Personally I think it makes things more granular and better, but reading this thread its clear people have different opinions. To me I don't mind either way, I am sure I will be able to manage.

I know we are creatures of habit and many long-time users were comfortable (even tho it was a love/hate relationship) with the layout of the former forum - myself included just from years of use.  However, I like clarity and efficiency (though they have trimmed the fat)....

This is a "Cakewalk Products" section so maybe they could add the missing "Studio" section with:  Hardware, Software, Computers & Techniques - for me, these (+Deals) made up the bulk of my CW browsing.  🙂 

Edited by Fwrend

10 hours ago, Fwrend said:

I know we are creatures of habit and many long-time users were comfortable (even tho it was a love/hate relationship) with the layout of the former forum - myself included just from years of use.  However, I like clarity and efficiency (though they have trimmed the fat)....

This is a "Cakewalk Products" section so maybe they could add the missing "Studio" section with:  Hardware, Software, Computers & Techniques - for me, these (+Deals) made up the bulk of my CW browsing.  🙂 

+1 - I like the idea of a "studio" section too.

On 12/31/2018 at 3:56 PM, Fwrend said:

I think it is redundant at best and confusing at least as the majority of "general" discussions begin with a question and most "questions" result in a discussion.

Clearly not so clear.

I agree. The answers to most questions include discussion concerning the workflow, the desired/varying outcomes of the possible solutions etc. Also most (?) questions spark demand for further information on the issue and that inevitably grows into a discussion. The present division, if followed exactly, would require a question in the Q&A forum and discussions on everything around the issue in the General Forum, which isn't very intuitive, IMO.

• Like 1