Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann

Extremely cheap USB drives tend to be fake. They aren't reporting the capacity correctly. As someone posted in the reviews: "This does not hold 1 TB as advertised. It only holds about 64 GB. "

Edited by BTP
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BTP said:

Extremely cheap USB drives tend to be fake. They aren't reporting the capacity correctly. As someone posted in the reviews: "This does not hold 1 TB as advertised. It only holds about 64 GB. "

That is a big discrepancy.

I bought a 64gb HP thumb drive the other day which allows me 50gb of storage, but 1tb to 64gb is wayyyyyy off the mark.

I actually grabbed this thinking, why not?   But it sounds like quality on the drives larger than 64GBs is lacking.  I don't think I will trust a backup to this.   And? For a 64 GB drive, $30 is okay, if that's all that works.  I just don't really need another thumbdrive of that size.  Fortunately, it is really easy to cancel if they haven't shipped. 

Again, these extremely cheap 1-2 TB drives are most likely fake. The real capacity is 64 GB or less and they're probably completely unreliable.

It's better to buy a real 256 GB drive for that price. Or an external HDD if you need a more capacity.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 9:11 AM, jesse g said:

Ok, 

Even Walmart is selling the fake USB drives.

Mini USB 3.0 2TB tiger button Flash Drives Memory Metal Drives Pen Drive USB Flash Drives for PC Laptop USB adapter.  (it's actually a 32GB drive)

Check out the Walmart link ~~>  Walmart

In Walmart's haste to compete with Amazon, they let a bunch of third party sellers on the site and don't care what they sell even if it's fake just so they have product up. Reminds me a lot of when Microsoft opened the Windows Store.

Edited by TerraSin

Just an FYI - 

I bought this - figured I'd give it a try as Amazon has a very simple return policy 

Received it yesterday - It is a full 2TB capacity - I'm on Windows 11 and it is working fine there - no great transfer speed but on par with other USB 2.0 thumb drives I have - 

Obviously can't speak to the longevity of the drive yet - but, upfront it plugged in and worked without any issues 

Can't say I'm ready to put any critical files I need exclusively on it but will dump some back-up data and see if it maintains integrity -

so far, so good - 

16 minutes ago, better5150 said:

Received it yesterday - It is a full 2TB capacity

You might want to google "detect fake usb drives" and check the capacity before you decide to keep it. Fake drives fool your operating system to show the capacity incorrectly.

• Like 1

I removed the original post because it sounded too high risk.

The coupon code for 50% off, if anybody else feels it's worth the risk to try it, is ZCE49QAE 

@better5150I'll be very interested in hearing if you can fill it up with 2tb of data and read the data back (e.g., using windiff or a parity/checksum tool like par2)

• Like 1