Firewire Problems - Available Guidance

Bill Phillips

Question

I've been having frequent intermittent  blue screen on startup problems for the last month or so. I've updated drivers and nothing has changed. I have both USB and Firewire interfaces. At first I was using the MOTU 828 mkII Firewire interface and thought the problem might be with that so I switched to the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB 2.0 interface but the problems persisted. I decided to contact SYBA the manufacturer for my current Firewire PCIe card and they sent me the link below which I used to manually update my Firewire driver again even though my current driver appears to be identical to the one I just installed. So I'm not expecting that this solved my problem, but I thought that the reference at this Fixing Firewire might be useful to others with Firewire interfaces.

• Thanks 1

2 answers to this question

While I do not use or have ever used Firewire, Here is my take on this.

Blue screens on start up (I am assuming you mean Windows start up) usually indicate buggy drivers or faulty hardware.

Strictly as a troubleshooting action, you might want to completely remove your Firewire PCIe card and drivers so that you only have the USB 2.0 Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 installed.

If you still get Blue screens, then you know that it’s very unlikely to be the firewire

It might also help to get some information from the blue screen - sometimes it can tell you the file or driver causing it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Promidi said:

While I do not use or have ever used Firewire, Here is my take on this.

Blue screens on start up (I am assuming you mean Windows start up) usually indicate buggy drivers or faulty hardware.

Strictly as a troubleshooting action, you might want to completely remove your Firewire PCIe card and drivers so that you only have the USB 2.0 Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 installed.

If you still get Blue screens, then you know that it’s very unlikely to be the firewire

It might also help to get some information from the blue screen - sometimes it can tell you the file or driver causing it.

Thanks. That's one option I'm considering. The main reason for my post was to provide that Fixing Firewire link to anyone who might be able to use it.