Installation plan for new computer

Long time Sonar user here. I will of course want access to many of the old included plugins.

Can I simply install the new Cakewalk by band lab,  then go back through the discs and file to install the desired plugins?

Or do I need to have Sonar installed first, then the plugins, then Cakewalk?

With the exception of V-Vocal, plug-ins bundled with SONAR did not require installing the program.

Plug-ins bundled with SONAR Platinum/Professional/Artist were broken out into separate installers.

Older versions of SONAR have an advanced install option which permits selecting individual plug-ins to install.

To get V-Vocal run an advanced install and select the Minimal Installation option and select any other plug-ins to include with the install. Here is an example using SONAR X2

Xtyprss.gif

If possible run this install before install CbB.

Installation order when running the advanced installations of other versions for plug-ins only does not matter.

Installation order should not matter but when installing older versions of SONAR, it is best to install oldest first.

Use the XLN installer provided by XLN audio for Addictive Drums.

Use the Melodyne installer from your Celemony account. Do not install Melodyne bundled with SONAR or CbB.

Thanks scook! It's almost clear. When you said "If possible run this install before install CbB."  Do you mean for all plugins, or specifically if I wanted to install V-Vocal (which I don't need)?

Really I don't feel I need any version of Sonar to be installed, just a large selection of plugins that I know I've used in older projects.

Can you even install vsts without some sort of install of either CbB or Sonar?

Edited by Wayne Severson

I was referring to V-Vocal because it is part of the SONAR core install.

Thinking about it a little more it may be necessary to install SONAR Platinum to get the L-Phase plug-in installed. I cannot say for certain as I had Platinum installed when adding CbB but recall some posts on the old forum mentioning the installer checks for Platinum.

The current recommendation from Band:Lab is perform a complete Platinum install before upgrading to CbB.

It is a good idea when installing SONAR/CbB to add them in chronological order - oldest first. This prevents the chance of overwriting newer shared binaries with older ones. While overwriting newer files should never happen, it has on occasion resulting in a support opportunity.

When installing individual plug-ins with the advanced install option, install order does not matter.

It is possible to install most bundled plug-ins without SONAR or CbB installed. Most of the plug-ins bundled with Cakewalk DAWs are not locked to the DAW. Most plug-ins locked to the DAW mayl be installed without actually installing the DAW too.

I did a clean install of CbB on my work laptop, plus all the stand-alone stuff from the Cakewalk Command Center.

The L-Phase plugins work fine without SONAR, as does CA-2A if you've got that. Just run the installers from the CCC.

I've not tried any of the FX suites under the SONAR Platinum tab yet though.

[Edit] - Just tried it, and unfortunately all the components under the SONAR Platinum tree (e.g. Engineering FX Suite, Studio Mixing FX suite etc) require SONAR to be installed first.

Edited by msmcleod

Due to common components between programs, it is recommended to install them chronologically. Also bear in mind that CbB is 64-bit, so getting too attached to "older" may be a frustrating or even futile venture, depending on what plugins you are focused on.

When I built this machine up, I installed everything from Cakwalk Command Center, then CbB. If you want V-Vocal, I would do that first, then CCC, then CbB.

• Like 1

There are very few 32bit plug-ins installed when running the 64bit option in SONAR.

Bitmeter, PerfectSpace and VC64 (none of these are in Platinum) are the effects that I can recall. There may be more but I did not install anything older than X2.

32bit synths included are Cakewalk Sound Center, DropZone, Square 1 and RXP.

Hi Wayne,

It's pretty easy to do a full/manual uninstall of Sonar.

Most of the bundled plugins (from Sonar past) can be installed without installing Sonar... but there's no harm if you go ahead and install Sonar.

If you need help with a full/manual uninstall of Sonar, I'd be happy to remote-in and show you how it's done.

Take just a couple of minutes...

I like to have separate 32Bit and 64Bit VstPlugins folders:

• c:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins_32Bit
  • c:\Program Files\VstPlugins_64Bit

At this point, I don't use any 32Bit plugins, but I like to have the 32Bit folder as a "repository" (for those plugin installers that don't offer the option to not install the 32Bit version).

Edited by Jim Roseberry
Additional information

2 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

At this point, I don't use any 32Bit plugins, but I like to have the 32Bit folder as a "repository" (for those plugin installers that don't offer the option to not install the 32Bit version).

This is what I do as well.

Doesn't mean I use 32x plug ins but I like to know where they are. Like Jim, I put them in C:\Program Files (x86) and call it VST32

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Severson said:

Things are going pretty well for me so far. One snag though. I installed Overlouds TH3 full version but I have not figured out how to see it in CbB.  I only see the cakewalk version of TH3

Most likely, the VST plugin DDL (for the full TH3) was installed in a folder that's currently not being scanned for plugins.

I suppose it could be a path issue but what I do not understand is why install the full TH3?

TH3 Cakewalk may be converted to the full version by clicking on Settings and adding the license.

To do so now may require running TH3 stand alone (or wherever the plug-in full version is installed) and removing the license before applying it to TH3 Cakewalk.

Wow I had totally missed that. I see now that is the case that the cakewalk version is indeed running as a full version.

I didn't even have to add the license.

My old computer had two separate installs showing,  (though it's possible that both were/are full versions)

Cool, Thanks. 

CbB contains all the PC modules that were bundled with any version of SONAR.

Missing PC modules were separately purchased or added as promo items. Either way they have separate installers which should be in your old Cakewalk account (some also had Cakewalk Control Center compatible installers).

Look in your Cakewalk account for the PC4K-S type channel compressor and expander gate installers

FYI, if the PC76 U-type compressor is in the channel strip the PC4K-S bus compressor will not show in the PC module list. It will show up when trying to replace the PC76 though or if the PC 76 is not in the PC. Only one of these may be in the PC at a time.

Glad you said that. It prompted me to find a folder with those and a few other installers I'd purchased.

I'm working from a 10 year history on my last computer. Easy to forget what you've purchased over that time period.

I should add I did get a smoking hot computer from Jim Roseberry. The Pro NLE variety.  Haven't put it through it's paces yet, but it looks great, runs quiet and is certainly setting me up for another long run!

Scook, I recall you had a method for moving Rapture samples and such and referencing the move with a link of some sort. I can't think of what you called it. But I'd like to do that if you could direct me to one of those posts please.

Knowing how to search the old forum is a handy skill to have.

In this case searching Google for

site:forum.cakewalk.com scook rapture

lead me to http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3509407, the fourth link returned for the search

in that thread I linked to http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3508523 which discusses mklink at length. The key to moving files around is mklink.

If that is not enough try searching for

site:forum.cakewalk.com scook mklink

This should provide quite a few threads where I provide examples for DimPro, Rapture, Rapture Pro/Session and more.