Status Audio CB-1 Headphones

cclarry

I like these a lot, but had two pairs break on me so I'm done. 

They gave me a good deal on replacing the first one, but I think the pieces on the sides are too slender plastic. I don't think they are well designed.  While there service is great, they didn't respond when I wrote them about the second pair, which I can kind of understand.  They probably think I'm too rough on my phones.  But I'm really not.

So if you have a pair, handle it carefully. 

• Thanks 1

Got these for $34 shipped.  No doubt worth that for tracking and letting others hear in the studio.  At $50, I'd be a bit more reluctant though decent options new at that price are not exactly commonplace.  

But I'm also a firm believer that for $130-150 you can get a pair of cans that you don't need to upgrade and are a worthy investment as few things are as important to music creators than what you hear.

Edited by Brian Walton

5 hours ago, mibby said:

As a counterpoint to Reid's. I love my CB-1's.  They are comfortable and sound great and have lasted fine so far. Great bang for the buck!

One the best purchases I've made in a long while. :)

My experience is similar to that of mibby. I bought the CB-1 after a thread in this forum about a year ago and they've been excellent.  

I think I know why I broke to of these and the problem is me.  I think you need to adjust the size before you put them on.  This is probably true of most headphones and all of you probably know this.

So the CB1s are very good for the price.  I am the one who recommended them first on this phone.

But I needed to find a replacement, so I did a bit of research and replaced my pair with a Beyer-Dynamic DT 770 PRO, which I picked up  for $139.

They are so good that I am mad at myself that I never got  something of this quality before.  As soon as I had time, I played a dozen pieces of music I wrote.  It was like I never heard them before.  They sounded so much better!  You could hear the separation between the various tonal ranges.  I think I'm getting used to them now and they seem like normal to me.  But that first night I was going crazy with how beautiful these phones were.

The only negative on the phones is I definitely wanted to remix some of those pieces.  I heard things I never heard before.

Now I'm not so sure I'll be satisfied with my CB1s at my work computer.  They are mushy compared to the DT 770 PRO.  It's a comedown and I'm at this desk a lot more than I'm at my music computer.  I might have to get another pair.  Maybe I'll try a 990

• Like 2

On 11/15/2021 at 5:27 PM, Brian Walton said:

Got these for $34 shipped.  No doubt worth that for tracking and letting others hear in the studio.  At $50, I'd be a bit more reluctant though decent options new at that price are not exactly commonplace.  

But I'm also a firm believer that for $130-150 you can get a pair of cans that you don't need to upgrade and are a worthy investment as few things are as important to music creators than what you hear.

28 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

They are so good that I am mad at myself that I never got  something of this quality before.  As soon as I had time, I played a dozen pieces of music I wrote.  It was like I never heard them before.  They sounded so much better!  You could hear the separation between the various tonal ranges.  I think I'm getting used to them now and they seem like normal to me.  But that first night I was going crazy with how beautiful these phones were.

The only negative on the phones is I definitely wanted to remix some of those pieces.  I heard things I never heard before.

Now I'm not so sure I'll be satisfied with my CB1s at my work computer.  They are mushy compared to the DT 770 PRO.  It's a comedown and I'm at this desk a lot more than I'm at my music computer.  I might have to get another pair.  Maybe I'll try a 990

Yep, to my point above.  😃