Imported MIDI

Pedro Newberry

Question

I originally was using LMMS until I realized I cannot record live into LMMS.  So I wanted to switch to CakeWalk.  I can import my midi and assign to the correct VST I want, but I find that the notes do not correspond to the same locations in the keypad editor as in LMMS.  So, my base is a few notes higher, but maintains the same progressions.  The drums are as if I played them on different keys when I first put them into LMMS, about a full octave off.  I tried to copy and move, but then the timing of the notes is off.  Is there a way to correct this so that if I originally started my pattern from a E2, the midi gets loaded at the same note.  For example, where my kick drum should be it's hitting a cymbal.  If I drag it down to where a kick is a kick, a snare is a snare, etc, I lost the timing and placement of the notes.  I set them up in LMMS as 1/24 so I could break each 4/4 measure into 6 counts and play program a more swing groove.  Thanks in advance.

4 answers to this question

From the user documentation:

Base Octave for Pitches. There is no industry standard for numbering octaves. By default, Cakewalk calls MIDI note 0 (the lowest possible note) C0. The Yamaha FB-01, for example, shows MIDI note 0 as C-2 (C negative 2). To match Cakewalk to that standard, set Base Octave to –2.

You do that in Edit > Preferences > Customization > Display.

An optional way to get the same result by moving the MIDI notes in the PRV would be to select all notes in the track, press Shift and then drag the notes the number of octaves or semitones you need. By pressing Shift the notes will not move horizontally in the PRV during the operation, so the time is kept, thus overruling any Snap setting you may have.

Bear in mind "Base Octave for Pitches" changes what note names are displayed not the note values.

Internally all DAWs work with MIDI note values not names.

The MIDI note values are the same regardless of the display.

IOW, the GM kick drum is note value 35 regardless of the DAW.

I find it easier to use instrument names rather than note names when working with drums.

To that end, I right-click on the keyboard in the Piano Roll View and set the note names dialog to display drum names.

When using the step sequencer, I use a drum map (at least until the step sequencer is updated to support alternate names like the PRV).

The fastest way if a midi track is wrong is to select the track and use the Transpose function. Just set it to 12 or ?  You can do a whole midi project by highlighting all the tracks. Of course you don’t want to do this to drum tracks. As said those are mostly universal in GM mode.