Copy Paste Issue

Dana Elston

Question

Never experienced this before in Cakewalk. I copied 19 tracks (audio and midi) and pasted. When reviewing the pasted tracks (audio in this case) it's as though it processed the fx in my fx bin on the pasted tracks only. You can see in the attached pic the wav files on the right side have increased. 20211114_064140.thumb.jpg.ae1fd0a5a3464e3db9d0a72c930aaa3c.jpg I've pasted tracks like this before and this has never occurred. Anyone else experiencing this? Thx!

3 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Dana Elston said:

Thanks Bill - I think you are correct in what happened here yet I would think it would only duplicate the automation rather than processing them. Well, I just took a close look at my clips and I see that the gain automation changed on the pasted clips. For some reason they all returned to 0.0 dB so that's odd to me. I just took it a step further and tried going thru the same process and I see what happened. When I copied, it copied the track/bus automation but not the clip automation.  So I tried it again checking off the additional box for clip automation and it pasted perfectly.

So as I was explaining above I definitely copied and pasted. I've been working with Cakewalk since before it had audio capabilities and have a decent idea regarding duplication and bouncing. I'm not a professional but those are pretty basic things and were not needed at this point.

Thank you for your help Bill, I do appreciate it.

You might want to post this on the feedback loop forum. It could be that there is a problem in clip paste processing. Not sure myself.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dana Elston said:

Never experienced this before in Cakewalk. I copied 19 tracks (audio and midi) and pasted. When reviewing the pasted tracks (audio in this case) it's as though it processed the fx in my fx bin on the pasted tracks only. You can see in the attached pic the wav files on the right side have increased. 20211114_064140.thumb.jpg.ae1fd0a5a3464e3db9d0a72c930aaa3c.jpg I've pasted tracks like this before and this has never occurred. Anyone else experiencing this? Thx!

Provide more detail on the steps you followed in producing the pasted clips. Copying and pasting clips will not apply track fx. I pasted the clip copy dialog box below. Note that it will apply clip and track automation. Clip automation would show up in the source clip but track automation would not. So if the source track has track volume automation raising the volume that might explain the pasted clips being at a higher volume than the source clips.

Also you refer to copying and pasting tracks. There's not a way to do that. Tracks can be duplicated or bounced but not copied and pasted.

2021-11-14.png.21e427cf83b47cc835d606dd2dbd5a9b.png

Thanks Bill - I think you are correct in what happened here yet I would think it would only duplicate the automation rather than processing them. Well, I just took a close look at my clips and I see that the gain automation changed on the pasted clips. For some reason they all returned to 0.0 dB so that's odd to me. I just took it a step further and tried going thru the same process and I see what happened. When I copied, it copied the track/bus automation but not the clip automation.  So I tried it again checking off the additional box for clip automation and it pasted perfectly.

So as I was explaining above I definitely copied and pasted. I've been working with Cakewalk since before it had audio capabilities and have a decent idea regarding duplication and bouncing. I'm not a professional but those are pretty basic things and were not needed at this point.

Thank you for your help Bill, I do appreciate it.