Missing Studio instruments

Fredrik Sørensen

Hi, in Cakewalk, i can't find the inckluded Studio instruments (Virtual drum kit, bass, piano, strings). I can't find the files on my computer. In Bandlab they are listed as installed, but in Windows, the Studio Instrument Suite is not listed as installed. I have uninstalled Cakewalk, and installed it again, but still the same.

A few months ago I had some trouble with Cakewalk and completely removed it and installed it again. Before that i had the Studio instruments.

Any ideas how to fix?

On my computer, the Studio Instruments files are located:

Local disk (C:)>ProgramData>Cakewalk>Studio Instrument

This was the default location so yours should be the same. Take a look for the files there.

Then... make sure Cakewalk scans the folder looking for plugins:

In Cakewalk, from the menu bar, select Edit > Preferences. From the left menu select VST Settings; you should see VST Scan Paths at the top. If you don't see the location of your Studio Instruments, click "Add", then browse to the correct folder, then "OK".

Under that part, in the "Scan Options" section, make sure "Scan on startup" is enabled. You can hit the "Scan" button, or restart the program.

Hope this is helpful to you.

43 minutes ago, Mike Z said:

On my computer, the Studio Instruments files are located:

Local disk (C:)>ProgramData>Cakewalk>Studio Instrument

This was the default location so yours should be the same. Take a look for the files there.

Then... make sure Cakewalk scans the folder looking for plugins:

In Cakewalk, from the menu bar, select Edit > Preferences. From the left menu select VST Settings; you should see VST Scan Paths at the top. If you don't see the location of your Studio Instruments, click "Add", then browse to the correct folder, then "OK".

Under that part, in the "Scan Options" section, make sure "Scan on startup" is enabled. You can hit the "Scan" button, or restart the program.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Thanks, the files is not located in that folder. And my cakewalk is set up correctly to scan for VSTs.

9 hours ago, scook said:

Studio Instruments are not installed with CbB.

They have their own installer.

Run the Cakewalk Web Installer and select Studio Instruments and any of the additional installers you want to run.

The extra installers are also available in BandLab Assistant under "Install Add-ons..." on this menu

AcbBZK7.png

Yes, as I wrote, the add-ons are lister as installed. 

If the plug-ins are listed as FX run a VST Reset from Preferences > File > VST Settings

If the plug-ins are not listed in the plug-in lists at all. They are either not in the scan path, not installed or have been removed.

The Studio Instruments installer puts files in three locations. The default location for  these files are 

• Folders for each plug-in under "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Studio Instruments" for documentation, resources and samples
  • Folders for each plug-in under "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins" for the plug-in dlls
  • Folders for each plug-in under "C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Studio Instruments" for patterns and programs

BA keeps track of what it has installed using registry entries.

If the files have been (re)moved after install BA still may have a record of what it has installed. If this is the case, the Add-on Installers in BA will be disabled.

One can either mess with the registry to satisfy BA or use the Cakewalk Web Installer to (re)install the the SI Suite.

At this time the Cakewalk Web Install does not keep track of what it has installed.

Uninstalling the DAW does not clean up the registry.

To perform a clean install (which does remove registry entries) see https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034066393-Clean-Install-Cakewalk-by-BandLab

On 11/14/2021 at 2:19 PM, scook said:

If the plug-ins are listed as FX run a VST Reset from Preferences > File > VST Settings

If the plug-ins are not listed in the plug-in lists at all. They are either not in the scan path, not installed or have been removed.

The Studio Instruments installer puts files in three locations. The default location for  these files are 

• Folders for each plug-in under "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Studio Instruments" for documentation, resources and samples
  • Folders for each plug-in under "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins" for the plug-in dlls
  • Folders for each plug-in under "C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Studio Instruments" for patterns and programs

BA keeps track of what it has installed using registry entries.

If the files have been (re)moved after install BA still may have a record of what it has installed. If this is the case, the Add-on Installers in BA will be disabled.

One can either mess with the registry to satisfy BA or use the Cakewalk Web Installer to (re)install the the SI Suite.

At this time the Cakewalk Web Install does not keep track of what it has installed.

Uninstalling the DAW does not clean up the registry.

To perform a clean install (which does remove registry entries) see https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034066393-Clean-Install-Cakewalk-by-BandLab

When I removed Cakewalk a while back, i did a clean install. I've googled a lot before posting :) But I've never thought of the web installer. That worked just great, the studio instruments are back! Thanks!

The web installer actually should check for existing installations in its current version. This just changes the default toggle state for the additional installers when you run it. If you already had Studio Instruments installed previously at some point, the box will show as unticked, however if you need to reinstall that, you can simply check it and continue with the installer.

• Like 1