Where is the Mute [M] button in the upper right corner of a VSTi window?

pulsewalk

When you have a VSTi open there is a Solo [ S ], an Automation read [R] and an Automation write [W] button, in the upper right corner of the window.

But where on earth is the [M] mute button (which is used "all the time" by many users)? Where in the preferences do I enable it?

Hell, I could even see a [*] Record button there for certain cases.

I've looked everywhere in the preferences AFAIK. Anyone who knows where I can find and enable it?

Edited by pulsewalk

9 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Would be nice to have one but you can use the plugin's "bypass" ON/OFF button in the FX bin.

I was thinking of VSTi's as in VST Instruments, but the same would of course be applicable to FX VST's. You mean it's not possible to display the mute button? Oh man...
In that case the developers really need to add one. I see it as a very basic future to quickly be able to mute the synth you're working with, without the need to look for it among the tracks or in the mixer to mute it.

There's a solo button, which is very good and as it supposed to be. But why no mute button? It is just as important!

To the developers: PLEASE add the mute button in the VSTi windows upper right corner just where the solo button is! Thank you!

How many Mute buttons do you need. There's one in the Track Pane, the Inspector and the Console view of each instrument plus the midi track if it's split. It would actually be a real bad idea to have one on the actual VST GUI as those are most time hidden and there would be a 100 posts from people wondering why they have no sound. 

Screenshot (235).png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, sjoens said:

Would be nice to have one but you can use the plugin's "bypass" ON/OFF button in the FX bin.

He was saying VSTi = Instruments. Instruments most certainly don't belong in the effects bin.  It's of note that a lot of VST effects actually have both bypass and sometimes Mute. But it rare. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 4:33 AM, John Vere said:

How many Mute buttons do you need. There's one in the Track Pane, the Inspector and the Console view of each instrument plus the midi track if it's split. It would actually be a real bad idea to have one on the actual VST GUI as those are most time hidden and there would be a 100 posts from people wondering why they have no sound. 

Screenshot (235).png

I'm not sure you understand what I mean.

When you have a VSTi open, an instrument, a synth. You might be working with it and thus you might want to be able to both mute it or solo it, without having to scroll and search for its track in track view. There already is a Solo button, why not a Mute button?

It would actually be a real bad idea to have one on the actual VST GUI as those are most time hidden and there would be a 100 posts from people wondering why they have no sound. 

This is making it quite clear we're talking about different things here and I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Once again, I'm talking about the VSTi window. Let's say you have Serum in a window. You're working on it and you play the track to hear everything with Serum. Then you might solo it to hear it solo. But then you might want to hear everything else EXCEPT the synth, thus you'd like to mute it, but you can't from there. So you'll have to go and look for its track and mute it there.

Why would people wonder there's no sound? They would clearly see in the track view that a track is muted. If you mute the VSTi in the VSTi window, it would be equal to press the mute button in track view, just as VSTi "Solo" works. It's not like you mute the VSTi inside the VSTi and then it's not indicated as muted in track view, no. If you mute it in the VSTi window, it's being muted in track view too.

That is exactly how Solo works today. There's a solo button and if you press it, its being solo:ed in track view to, of course. It's just being soloed, thats it.

And it would be great to have a mute button there as well.

If you think a mute button would be a bad idea, then I guess you find the already present solo button to be a bad feature and want it gone too?

Edited by pulsewalk

I did a Photoshop edit on this and added a [ M ] mute button. Would this really be so bad?

And as you can see, there's already a Solo button, not to mention an automation Read and automation Write button. A mute button in addition wouldn't hurt.

cakewalk-mute-button.jpg

Edited by pulsewalk
  • Great Idea 1

20 minutes ago, John Vere said:

I don’t know for sure but an instrument GUI or correctly called the Instrument Property dialogue, is not interconnected to Cakewalks features in that way.

This has nothing to do with plug-in UI. The buttons are in the standard header added by the DAW. Ignore the red box around the VST3 drop down, I lifted the first image of the standard header found in the documentation.

Mixing.40.1.png

The answer to the subject is there is no mute button in the standard header. It is a feature request.

Feature request belong in https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/8-feedback-loop/

Unlike mute, all the existing functions in the standard header have something to do with the open plug-in UI. 

• Like 3