Re-amp guitars with BOSS PEDAL instead of re-amp box?

Marcello

Hi guys,

so I'm recording at home my guitar with Cakewalk, using an Amp sim in within the DAW from Overloud.

Now I would like to use my DD-200 Boss pedal as an effect instead of the plugins within the DAW.

For convenience I would like to be able to re-amp the delay effect for the following reasons:

- The effects should sound better after distortion (amp sim in my DAW) as it is usually placed at the end of the signal chain

- If I place the delay effect before the audio interface and before getting into my daw the guitar will be recorded with the delay, not clean, this means that if I would like to change the delay settings after recording for some reason (like delay time, intensity, type or whatever) or maybe because I notice some mistake, I will need to record everything again, while if I re-amp the delay I can re-play the clean track recorded in my daw, and re-amp it back with the delay where I would be free to change the settings.

Now, I have read that instead of buying a re-amp box, I could use whatever Boss pedal (like my boss tuner for instance) as a reamp box, because apparently it has the same functionality, watch the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-RUSK9nOeQ

Can you confirm this can be done?

Also, since I have an interface with only one input, it's a really basic Seinberg UR12, I would need to buy a new audio interface so that with 2 inputs/outputs I can re-amp it.

I'm just a bit struggling to understand which one would better fit for my needs.

I would like, if possible, to be able to not switch cables and do re-amping in the second step after recording, but I would like to be able to do that simultaneusly, with that I mean recording the clean track while reamping at the same time, because I would need to hear the Boss DD-200 effect while I record the track.

So based on these infos, how many output/inputs I would need to have in my audio interface?

I'm considering these 2 models, of course there is a big difference in price, so I would like to get the Focusrite 2i2, but not sure if with those 2 line outputs would be enough,

maybe I could use the headphone output to be able to listen to the track while I record, and the 2 line outputs on the back to re-amp? Or do I need to get the 4i4 Focusrite?

Please notice the delay pedal effect would be better recorded in stereo, in any case I should also consider the price difference, if it worth it.

2i2

image.png.f6cbc5aafe6ecf31874b1d82a3e5c1f3.png

4i4

image.png.302523429ab4c892c617e3c4e96f802e.png

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, rsinger said:

Are you re-amping or do you want to use the DD-200 as an external effect? What you describe here and the other post is an external effect, you're not going into a HW amp r u? You write that you're using an amp sim.

Exactly

Edited by Marcello

OK, that's a bit simpler. The input on the DD-200 is -10 db to + 7 db and +4 db is a common line level so you should be able to take the output of the IF directly into the delay. The output is the same -10 db to + 7 db so you can go directly into the IF. You need at least two inputs and outputs to record guitar and use outboard fx and as you say to get stereo you need two inputs and outputs for the delay. I haven't used outboard fx with CbB. There is a section in the documentation on it. Search the pdf version for external insert. It's on page 928 of version 26.11.00 .

15 hours ago, rsinger said:

OK, that's a bit simpler. The input on the DD-200 is -10 db to + 7 db and +4 db is a common line level so you should be able to take the output of the IF directly into the delay. The output is the same -10 db to + 7 db so you can go directly into the IF. You need at least two inputs and outputs to record guitar and use outboard fx and as you say to get stereo you need two inputs and outputs for the delay. I haven't used outboard fx with CbB. There is a section in the documentation on it. Search the pdf version for external insert. It's on page 928 of version 26.11.00 .

Right I get it man, so I’m out of budget for buying a interface with 3 inputs, so I might renounce to record and re-amp at the same time, I will do that in a second take.
So basically you need the re-amp box just if you use a real amp but not just for the effect pedals. So no need of a re-amp option neither in the audient interface, at this point it’s just a simple choice between the focusrite 2i2 and this audient sono. The only cool thing about the audient is that is a tube preamp, so you can go directly into the DAW with a warm tube guitar sound, but at that point I don’t know how much sense it has to use the amp sim, since the interface would have already its own sound, and I ‘m afraid I would be limited by that.

4 hours ago, Marcello said:

Right I get it man, so I’m out of budget for buying a interface with 3 inputs, so I might renounce to record and re-amp at the same time, I will do that in a second take.

If you get the DD-200 and you do a second take note that you can use the boss as a DI. It's designed to take a guitar as input. Use it between the guitar and IF and bypass the effect and see if it improves the sound on the first take.

So basically you need the re-amp box just if you use a real amp but not just for the effect pedals. So no need of a re-amp option neither in the audient interface, at this point it’s just a simple choice between the focusrite 2i2 and this audient sono. 

This won't work with all guitar pedals. A lot of pedals are designed for instrument level signals. You don't want to put a line level signal into those. It all depends on the pedal; some will work some won't, some may blow out.

The only cool thing about the audient is that is a tube preamp, so you can go directly into the DAW with a warm tube guitar sound, but at that point I don’t know how much sense it has to use the amp sim, since the interface would have already its own sound, and I ‘m afraid I would be limited by that.

Also check and see if the tube in the audient is running at full voltage or if it's starved. Starved is ok, but you may be disappointed if you think it's full voltage and it's not.

1 hour ago, rsinger said:

If you get the DD-200 and you do a second take note that you can use the boss as a DI. It's designed to take a guitar as input. Use it between the guitar and IF and bypass the effect and see if it improves the sound on the first take.

This won't work with all guitar pedals. A lot of pedals are designed for instrument level signals. You don't want to put a line level signal into those. It all depends on the pedal; some will work some won't, some may blow out.

Also check and see if the tube in the audient is running at full voltage or if it's starved. Starved is ok, but you may be disappointed if you think it's full voltage and it's not.

Thanks for the tips, so how do you understand if the pedal is ok for line level signal? Didn’t get that

Line level is generally +4 db. You need to look at the specs for the pedal. For the DD-200.

https://www.boss.info/us/products/dd-200/specifications/

Look at the input and output levels.

Nominal Input Level

INPUT A/MONO, B: -10 dBu

Maximum Input Level

INPUT A/MONO, B: +7 dBu

Input Impedance

INPUT A/MONO, B: 2 M ohm

Nominal Output Level

OUTPUT A/MONO, B: -10 dBu

Maximum Output Level

OUTPUT A/MONO, B: +7 dBu

Output Impedance

OUTPUT A/MONO, B: 1 k ohms

Recommended Load Impedance

OUTPUT A/MONO, B: 10 k ohms or greater

Input is -10 to +7 dBu and +4 is between them so it'll take line level inputs. Also notice that input impedance is 2 M ohm. For guitar you want 1 M ohm or higher. If your audio IF's input impedance is less than 1 M ohm you should try using the dd-200 as a DI. HTH.

• Thanks 1