Breverb 2 crashing the DAW when loading a project

ANT-1

Hi eveyone,

Here is my problem, 

I had Cakewalk installed on my machine, a brand new PC for 3 months but this computer had a problem and I had to get it replaced yesterday. All my projects were working wonderfully. I saved all my projects on external hard drive, kept the plugins in a safe place and all to migrate to the new PC.

Unfortunately 2 of my projects will crash everytime I start them when the software scans the plugins, it all goes well during the scanning plugins process until it says "preparing your project" at the bottom right  blue box then Cakewalk shuts down straight away . I found out after selecting the plugins at the start that Breverb 2 was the bad one for some reason and strangely, all my other projects where I used Breverb 2 will start without any problem. 

This is very frustrating as this is my latest project and I have so many channels using this reverb on it. Any Idea? 

I uninstalled the whole thing 3 times already and nothing changed. 

Really stuck here,

Thank you in advance !

Ant-1

Edited by ANT-1

Unfortunately, similar problems happen occasionally when CW is loading a project. It generally has to do with either an issue in your computer configuration or some option in your CW setup that you can change. I've found that the only answer is to use CW Support and file a problem report. 

If you're not getting an Error Screen popup showing an error code, then you need to make a setting change in CW. I had to do this some time ago and I don't recall exactly how I did it. but it's something like this:

Under preferences | Initialization file you can set the ExceptionHandlingSeverity=7

You may have to type the string into a text box that comes up, but if you search around the CW Forum, I think there is there is a step-by-step explanation of how to file a problem report with CW Support and how you send them a crash dump.

Likely there is no quick and easy answer since you changed your computer and there could be some differences in the configuration files.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem in my desktop machine after formatting and reinstalling Sonar X3 PE and CWbB.   Windows Event Viewer showed that the cause of crashing was  in path C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\BREVERB SONAR\BREVERB 2 Cakewalk-64.dll.  It's date was 28.11.2012, size 5544 kb.

Luckily I had in my laptop wellfunctioning CWbB, and I digged from there the same named plugin file dated 8.11.2018, size 5947 kb to replace the file. And Voila! No crashes anymore. I just don't know what I would have done if I didn't have my laptop as reserve... 

Where one would get replacing Breverb 2 plugin  - except from Overloud, costing 89 dollars?

Erkki Ranta

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2021 at 7:22 PM, Eki said:

I had the same problem in my desktop machine after formatting and reinstalling Sonar X3 PE and CWbB.   Windows Event Viewer showed that the cause of crashing was  in path C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\BREVERB SONAR\BREVERB 2 Cakewalk-64.dll.  It's date was 28.11.2012, size 5544 kb.

Luckily I had in my laptop wellfunctioning CWbB, and I digged from there the same named plugin file dated 8.11.2018, size 5947 kb to replace the file. And Voila! No crashes anymore. I just don't know what I would have done if I didn't have my laptop as reserve... 

Where one would get replacing Breverb 2 plugin  - except from Overloud, costing 89 dollars?

Erkki Ranta

This solution worked perfectly for me! I also simply got rid of the BREVERB 2 Cakewalk-64.dll in my new PC and replaced it with the one from my old computer, and the project opened up without any errors.

The OP said they have reverb on a bunch of tracks?  This is a well documented way to create a muddy mix. Reverb is space.  Having a bunch of different spaces in a mix totally confuses the listener unless that is your goal.
 Best practices is to limit how many reverbs are used in a project and share one instance using a effect send to a reverb buss. 

Of course this general advice is for most popular types of music and not applicable to all. I’m only mentioning this as newbie’s might get the idea it’s normal to put a different reverb on each track. The pro channel has made it way to easy to make this mistake. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just had this happen today. Old project on new computer/new installs.

On 1/22/2022 at 5:09 AM, Humair Ijaz said:

This solution worked perfectly for me! I also simply got rid of the BREVERB 2 Cakewalk-64.dll in my new PC and replaced it with the one from my old computer, and the project opened up without any errors.

So there are 2 versions of BREVERB2 and if the installed version is different from the project version, Sonar/CbB will crash.

Edited by sjoens

1 hour ago, sjoens said:

Just had this happen today. Old project on new computer/new installs.

So there are 2 versions of BREVERB2 and if the installed version is different from the project version, Sonar/CbB will crash.

It's been a few years since this version change occurred, so am a bit fuzzy in the details. But pretty sure the "Breverb 2 Cakewalk edition" version change happened after BandLab re-released Cakewalk.

I'm currently showing the Overloud VST2 "Breverb 2 Cakewalk" as v2.1.13.0 in CbB.

Edited by abacab

I had this exact problem as well after setting up a new PC and moving old projects over. After working with support the only fix that worked was load project in safe mode without Breverb then re add Breverb and save it. After that the projects load and run fine.

That's what I've been doing. Not sure if I even have 2.1.13. but I may not have updated to the latest offering.

Similar issue with 32 bit Addictive Drums. No crashes but XLN no longer supports 32 bit so it never installed on my new PC. Thankfully XLN support is... well, XLNt. They will add the latest 32 bit to your installer upon request.