Cubase 30 Year Anniversary Sale

cclarry

12 hours ago, pbognar said:

I know Elements and Artist come with a "basic" score editor while Pro comes with an "advanced" score editor.

In practice, I would prefer the "basic" score editor for entering/tweaking MIDI and save the "advanced" score editor for printing if needed.

Does anyone know if in Pro, you have the option of using the "basic" score editor?  I don't want to be bombarded with options.  I am more than happy to have an editor which looks like Cakewalk's staff editor, but without the limitations of triplets and embedded rests.

Pro is the edition which will have ARA 2, Chord Assistant, VariAudio, etc.

More experienced Cubasers may have more to say on this but I had a quick look at the score editing in Cubase Pro last night and it didn't seem particularly complicated. I was able to do some basic editing without referring to the manual and it seemed pretty self explanatory (probably more so than CbB). There may be more complexity "under the hood" which is not evident from the quick play I had last night.

12 hours ago, Anxiousmofo said:

I'm demoing Elements, although my fuzz pedal spending/addiction has pretty much negated any available funds.  Nevertheless, is anyone else having problems with the Kontakt 5 (full) GUI in Cubase?  All my menus and directories in Kontakt 5 are zeroed out and non-navigable when I open it in  Elements.  Kontakt Player 6 is fine, however.

Full Kontakt 5 is working fine here. I haven't installed 6 yet.

My initial experiences of Cubase Pro 10 are pretty good and it seems very logically laid out. It took a while to get it to run at first as it got stuck on the VST3 scan 2 or 3 times. After that it started up fine. The VST2 scan also blacklisted TH-U and Analog Lab 4 which I need to investigate further. I always try to install only 64 bit VSTs but some insist on copying 32 bit ones as well so it may be some rogue 32 bit VSTs that are causing the problem.

It automatically picked up my Steinberg Audio Interface and set up a few project templates for the interface which was nice. It also installed a low latency driver without asking me but still allowed me to use the normal Yamaha Steinberg ASIO one for my interface. I might try the other one out and see if it offers any improvements but somehow I doubt it.

I concur with Matthew's account of the Window management. What is that menu bar doing at the top of the screen when the Hub is open and why is it left open when you close the program (you have to close it separately)? Then again Cubase Elements behaved the same way so I guess that should have warned me what to expect. I also had a transport bar left open after returning to the hub at one point.

The main working window is nicely configurable though and I will probably work with the transport in the toolbar at the top most of the time. "Rewind" was another missing function that had me perplexed until I found that the transport and most other tools can be stretched to reveal other functions e.g. rewind, fast forward, goto start, goto end etc.  

I am working my way through a few tutorials at the moment but will plan to do my next project using Cubase. 

I did lose a couple of hours last night when I started playing with Retrologue 2 and Padshop Pro which are both excellent and I can see me using a lot.

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ZincT said:

What is that menu bar doing at the top of the screen when the Hub is open and why is it left open when you close the program (you have to close it separately)? Then again Cubase Elements behaved the same way so I guess that should have warned me what to expect. I also had a transport bar left open after returning to the hub at one point.

When you "think" that you are closing Cubase, you are really only closing the project.  That's why the menu
bar continues to "hang out" even though you've thought that you have closed Cubase.  Happens to me all the time.
Just a matter of understanding what's going on.  I said the same thing...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cclarry said:

When you "think" that you are closing Cubase, you are really only closing the project.  That's why the menu
bar continues to "hang out" even though you've thought that you have closed Cubase.  Happens to me all the time.
Just a matter of understanding what's going on.  I said the same thing...

Yes it's just something to get used to Larry. It doesn't seem to cause any problems as such it's just my OCD wishing it wasn't there 😀

• Like 1

I am just trying out VariAudio to see how it compares to Melodyne Editor.

I am working my way through this tutorial...

One problem (probably due to my lack of experience with Cubase) is having made all the changes how do I save that to the track?

When I click back to the vocal track all the pitch changes sound like they are gone until I double click the track again. So how do I "save" or "render" the changes like I would in CbB?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZincT said:

Yes it's just something to get used to Larry. It doesn't seem to cause any problems as such it's just my OCD wishing it wasn't there 😀

Yeah - me too.  Its a common complaint of Cubase Windows users - from what I've read, it's due to the common codebase they use for the Windows and Mac platforms.   The UI does take some getting used to.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZincT said:

When I click back to the vocal track all the pitch changes sound like they are gone until I double click the track again. So how do I "save" or "render" the changes like I would in CbB?

I think you just toggle the edit arrow on "Edit VariAudio" to off and it commits your edits.  Maybe.  You can also use the Flatten option under Process to render VariAudio and Warp.  I think you can also toggle the VariAudio edits on and off with the strange zig-zag icon next to VariAudio.  Really wish it had some context sensitive help.

Edited by Matthew Sorrels
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I think you just toggle the edit arrow on "Edit VariAudio" to off and it commits your edits.  Maybe.  You can also use the Flatten option under Process to render VariAudio and Warp.  I think you can also toggle the VariAudio edits on and off with the strange zig-zag icon next to VariAudio.  Really wish it had some context sensitive help.

Thanks Matthew. The first 2 options seemed to work. About the only context sensitive help seems to be "tool tips" e.g. when I hover the mouse over the zig-zag icon next to VariAudio it says "Bypass VariAudio Change [!]" . It's not as good as the CbB context sensitive help though.

4 minutes ago, Marat said:

There is a key command to close Cubase completely with the top row. On PC: Ctrl+Q.

Thanks Marat, it works. 

I wonder if ARA 2 in S1 paved the way for the Chord Track (and it's ability to work on polyphonic audio) in S1?

Does this pave the way for the same chord track functionality in Cubase once ARA 2 arrives there?

And what about a chord track in CbB now that it has ARA 2 support?

Edited by pbognar
typo fix
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

9 hours ago, ZincT said:

More experienced Cubasers may have more to say on this but I had a quick look at the score editing in Cubase Pro last night and it didn't seem particularly complicated. I was able to do some basic editing without referring to the manual and it seemed pretty self explanatory (probably more so than CbB). There may be more complexity "under the hood" which is not evident from the quick play I had last night.

Full Kontakt 5 is working fine here. I haven't installed 6 yet.

My initial experiences of Cubase Pro 10 are pretty good and it seems very logically laid out. It took a while to get it to run at first as it got stuck on the VST3 scan 2 or 3 times. After that it started up fine. The VST2 scan also blacklisted TH-U and Analog Lab 4 which I need to investigate further. I always try to install only 64 bit VSTs but some insist on copying 32 bit ones as well so it may be some rogue 32 bit VSTs that are causing the problem.

It automatically picked up my Steinberg Audio Interface and set up a few project templates for the interface which was nice. It also installed a low latency driver without asking me but still allowed me to use the normal Yamaha Steinberg ASIO one for my interface. I might try the other one out and see if it offers any improvements but somehow I doubt it.

I concur with Matthew's account of the Window management. What is that menu bar doing at the top of the screen when the Hub is open and why is it left open when you close the program (you have to close it separately)? Then again Cubase Elements behaved the same way so I guess that should have warned me what to expect. I also had a transport bar left open after returning to the hub at one point.

The main working window is nicely configurable though and I will probably work with the transport in the toolbar at the top most of the time. "Rewind" was another missing function that had me perplexed until I found that the transport and most other tools can be stretched to reveal other functions e.g. rewind, fast forward, goto start, goto end etc.  

I am working my way through a few tutorials at the moment but will plan to do my next project using Cubase. 

I did lose a couple of hours last night when I started playing with Retrologue 2 and Padshop Pro which are both excellent and I can see me using a lot.

Thank you.  I'm quite stumped as to what the problem is with my K5.  At any rate, troubleshooting basic functionality of a bread and butter plugin is not a Cubase-confidence-inspiring experience.

Strange that anxiousmofo.  You could try running Native Access to make sure both Kontakts are correctly installed. 

Also, I found this forum post about someone with similar problems. Maybe it will help? 

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/kontakt-6-not-appearing-in-cubase.341421/

Failing that you could try either NI or Steinberg support or their forums. 

6 hours ago, ZincT said:

Strange that anxiousmofo.  You could try running Native Access to make sure both Kontakts are correctly installed. 

Also, I found this forum post about someone with similar problems. Maybe it will help? 

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/kontakt-6-not-appearing-in-cubase.341421/

Failing that you could try either NI or Steinberg support or their forums. 

Thanks all. I check Native Access a couple times a week and stay current. I'm nerdy like that. 

I'll ask Steinberg. Was just curious if anyone else had experienced the issue. I appreciate the suggestions!

Edited by Anxiousmofo

One thing I find annoying (and have noticed this before) is how my online account does not reflect my current ownership i.e. it does not show Cubase 10, PadShop Pro upgrade or the USB e-licenser key as being part of my owned products. 

I have run the latest version of the e-licenser software and let it synchronize but my online account still does not give an up-to-date picture of what I own even though the e-licenser on my PC is correct and all the software works fine.

8 minutes ago, ZincT said:

One thing I find annoying (and have noticed this before) is how my online account does not reflect my current ownership i.e. it does not show Cubase 10, PadShop Pro upgrade or the USB e-licenser key as being part of my owned products. 

I have run the latest version of the e-licenser software and let it synchronize but my online account still does not give an up-to-date picture of what I own even though the e-licenser on my PC is correct and all the software works fine.

I'm fairly sure my online account shows everything ?

49 minutes ago, simon said:

I'm fairly sure my online account shows everything ?

I think it is probably due to me entering activations in the e-licenser software (as per the installation instructions) rather than the website. Then again every time I run the e-licenser software it does its "Online Synchronization and Maintenance" which I would have thought would make my Steinberg web account reflect the e-licenser status.

What I did before with previous products to get it fixed was raise a support ticket but it seems a bit strange in this day and age.

Does seem a little odd - I enter activation codes on the dongle too and they reflect in my account ok.

if you look at the dongle details in your account can you see the licences there ?  I would have thought it's good to have your account up to date as i think SB refer to this if you ever need a replacement dongle (happened to me once)

8 hours ago, Anxiousmofo said:

Thanks all. I check Native Access a couple times a week and stay current. I'm nerdy like that. 

I'll ask Steinberg. Was just curious if anyone else had experienced the issue. I appreciate the suggestions!

Hi. Perhaps check this tool out to remove nonfunctional NI software?

It makes it possible to reinstall products afterward.

I had to do that with Reaktor 6 (Player version).

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115002853669-Solving-problems-regarding-updating-uninstall-reinstall-NI-products-Windows-en-us-

All the best.

• Thanks 1

Have you registered the eLicenser on your account?  I have a tab for eLicensers that shows my eLicensers (the dongle and a computer with nothing on it) and a tab with software that shows all the software (and those entries list the eLicenser it's on).  If that's not right you may want to contact them. 

4 hours ago, Zargg said:

Hi. Perhaps check this tool out to remove nonfunctional NI software?

It makes it possible to reinstall products afterward.

I had to do that with Reaktor 6 (Player version).

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115002853669-Solving-problems-regarding-updating-uninstall-reinstall-NI-products-Windows-en-us-

All the best.

Thanks for the tip.  Not a bad one, but I am disinclined to do that because my K5 works fine in CbB, Ableton, Reaper, etc..  Cubase Elements is the only outlier with the database anomaly.

I'm only demoing Elements (to get a sense of the Cubase ecosystem) and at this point have not been seduced into buying the crossgrade, so maybe a non-issue.

59 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Have you registered the eLicenser on your account?  I have a tab for eLicensers that shows my eLicensers (the dongle and a computer with nothing on it) and a tab with software that shows all the software (and those entries list the eLicenser it's on).  If that's not right you may want to contact them. 

Thanks Matthew, a bit of a 🤦🏻‍♂️moment; I hadn't realized that I would have to register the USB e-licenser explicitly (other than letting it sync to my account).

Anyway, I have now found and used the registration option in the e-licenser software and my account now reflects the same as my USB e-licenser 👍

I like simple fixes. Thanks again.