Cubase 30 Year Anniversary Sale

cclarry

From Uncle E: They are totally out, unfortunately. We have been checking multiple times a day, every day, and there has been no movement. At this point, I really have no idea when Steinberg will make more available.

I bitched on Steinbergs FB page about slow delivery of licenses to vendors.   Maybe their development is great but it seems like the rest of Steinberg is half assed.  

Edited by kitekrazy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I started a new project in Cubase yesterday...so far no headscratchers ;)  I upgraded to Padshop Pro for 9.99 as well.  So far the only "bug" has been the way the plugin manager sorted some of my plugins and for some reason I don't have the darker Padshop Pro GUI.  Other than learning a bit on the go it's going painlessly, I'm liking it so far!

Bill

• Like 1

Doe anyone think paying the extra $15 to Steinberg is worth the instant gratification?    It's sort of tempting just to buy another license for the other machine.  I'm sure 3rd party vendors are getting pissed because of refunds because people don't wait. 

8 minutes ago, cclarry said:

If you're in no hurry I don't see the point in paying the extra...
But the instant part is the determining factor...
I can tell you that a Half off sale from Steinberg is RARE.

How many times has that been said about any developer?  It will happen again once they did it.   I think they may have lost some arrogance now there are far more DAWs out there.    Last year was the lowest I ever paid for a S1 Pro and Reason upgrade.    It will be interesting to see how other DAW developers respond to this not named Magix.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cookie Jarvis said:

I started a new project in Cubase yesterday...so far no headscratchers ;)  I upgraded to Padshop Pro for 9.99 as well.  So far the only "bug" has been the way the plugin manager sorted some of my plugins and for some reason I don't have the darker Padshop Pro GUI.  Other than learning a bit on the go it's going painlessly, I'm liking it so far!

Bill

In the Plugin Manager you can create your own list with desired sorting.

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

How many times has that been said about any developer?  It will happen again once they did it.   I think they may have lost some arrogance now there are far more DAWs out there.    Last year was the lowest I ever paid for a S1 Pro and Reason upgrade.    It will be interesting to see how other DAW developers respond to this not named Magix.

I'm not so sure.  I don't think they'll offer 50% off new licenses again anytime soon.  It devalues the product if done often and then people are going to think that even the upgrade price is too high.  I think this is an exceptional thing they're doing to steal back a bunch of market share and maybe get some extra income, and also to get a bigger pool of people paying for upgrades in the future.  Also those people are more likely to buy other Steinberg products now that they already have the dongle, especially if they integrate well with Cubase.  

I suspect Studio One and Reason have much smaller market share, and therefore can't command the premium that the market leaders like Cubase get.  Their feature sets don't really exceed what Steinberg offers, so they have to compete on price/value.

• Like 1

Just now, Abstract said:

So far the only "bug" has been the way the plugin manager sorted some of my plugins [...]

I would say the Plug-in Manager in Cubase is almost as good as Cakewalk's, but as the list is stored in an XML file it is possible to manually improve the result to handle its shortcomings. You might want to do this if you e.g. want to create more friendly names for vendors and/or instruments. The name of the file is C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase [VERSION]_64\PluginManager.xml.

However, this must be done when Cubase is not running as the program will overwrite that file with its current plug-in manager entries when the program is closed. But as Cubase will keep the entries being read during start-up you won't have to think about this until the next time you want to manually edit that file. You might also want to store a copy of your manually edited XML file under a different name just in case.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lee D said:

I'm not so sure.  I don't think they'll offer 50% off new licenses again anytime soon.  It devalues the product if done often and then people are going to think that even the upgrade price is too high.  I think this is an exceptional thing they're doing to steal back a bunch of market share and maybe get some extra income, and also to get a bigger pool of people paying for upgrades in the future.  Also those people are more likely to buy other Steinberg products now that they already have the dongle, especially if they integrate well with Cubase.  

I suspect Studio One and Reason have much smaller market share, and therefore can't command the premium that the market leaders like Cubase get.  Their feature sets don't really exceed what Steinberg offers, so they have to compete on price/value.

It's 70% on crossgrades.    So maybe they'll offer this deal in 20 years.    Cubase may have a larger share of the pro market but I doubt it when it comes to budget home studios/EDM crowd.  I think this is what they are after.

45 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

It's 70% on crossgrades.    So maybe they'll offer this deal in 20 years.    Cubase may have a larger share of the pro market but I doubt it when it comes to budget home studios/EDM crowd.  I think this is what they are after.

Yeah I'm not sure how much of the home market they have.  Their $99 "Elements" version is pretty compelling for the budget home crowd though.  I think they'll start packaging more with the Artist version to make it a little more competitive as well.  But I don't think they'll be heavily discounting the Pro version anytime soon again.

4 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Doe anyone think paying the extra $15 to Steinberg is worth the instant gratification?    It's sort of tempting just to buy another license for the other machine.  I'm sure 3rd party vendors are getting pissed because of refunds because people don't wait. 

I bought directly from Steinberg.  I also like the idea of Steinberg getting the majority of the money versus paying a middleman, since in theory that's more money for them to spend on development (or marketing to get more users to get more money for development).  Or more likely. . . more profit for Yamaha executives!

2 hours ago, Canopus said:

I would say the Plug-in Manager in Cubase is almost as good as Cakewalk's, but as the list is stored in an XML file it is possible to manually improve the result to handle its shortcomings. You might want to do this if you e.g. want to create more friendly names for vendors and/or instruments. The name of the file is C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase [VERSION]_64\PluginManager.xml.

However, this must be done when Cubase is not running as the program will overwrite that file with its current plug-in manager entries when the program is closed. But as Cubase will keep the entries being read during start-up you won't have to think about this until the next time you want to manually edit that file. You might also want to store a copy of your manually edited XML file under a different name just in case.

IMO creating custom list in Plugin Manager is simpler and more elegant solution.

You can create your own folders, names and order of plugins.

Cubase remembers that list every time it starts.

5 hours ago, Lee D said:

Yeah I'm not sure how much of the home market they have.  Their $99 "Elements" version is pretty compelling for the budget home crowd though.  I think they'll start packaging more with the Artist version to make it a little more competitive as well.  But I don't think they'll be heavily discounting the Pro version anytime soon again.

It's a $99 handicapped DAW.   Far from compelling.   I have it.    The Artist version is handicapped and that seems like a worse value than Elements.  (requires dongle) You can get Mixcraft,  Reaper, of course Bandlab with no limitations.  

I am tempted to upgrade my 9.5 Elements for $15 just in case I want to put it on another system.

BTW the Cubase crossgrade is $7 a month with the Sweetwater card.   My temptation is to avoid getting 2 Cubase licenses.  I have 3 elicensers.