Cubase 30 Year Anniversary Sale

cclarry

1 hour ago, Sergio said:

Matthew, how do you rate Cubase's MIDI editing capabilities/tools compared to Sonar/CbB? I keep reading elsewhere that Cubase has the most advanced MIDI editing tools but my only experience with it was an old SE version in early 2000's.

I went to Cubase after Sonar died.  I haven't regretted it (even though Cakewalk is alive and well).  Midi and support for external devices in Cubase is unmatched.  

Expression maps and per note expression are highlights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, husker said:

Midi and support for external devices in Cubase is unmatched.  Expression maps and per note expression are highlights.

These are the most relevant factors to me. I have many external devices (synths, multi effects, etc) and I think the way Sonar/CbB handles them seems a bit primitive.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sergio said:

These are the most relevant factors to me. I have many external devices (synths, multi effects, etc) and I think the way Sonar/CbB handles them seems a bit primitive.

I agree...and have for years.  I said, when I moved from Cubase to Sonar, under X1, that Sonar's MIDI was nowhere near what
was available in Cubase.  And what improvements that they have made have been unsubstantial.  Sonar's MIDI handling/editing
is, as you said, primitive, by comparison.  I also said, that my ideal DAW would be Sonar's interface coupled with Cubases MIDI,
and other MIDI and Audio editing features.

Edited by cclarry
  • Thanks 1

While I know a lot of users might argue with me, I think Cubase's MIDI isn't really all that much better than CbB, except for a few things.  Those things may be more important to you though.  I personally see it as kind of a tie.  But I also used Cakewalk since it came on floppy discs, so I'm not sure I can honestly compare the two on everything.  I can be productive with either.

Nice MIDI things in Cubase that CbB can't do natively/easily/at all that I use (I'm sure there are others, these are the ones that effect me):

Chord Pads 
Expression maps
MIDI Sends
Chord recognizer (if you place the time line on some MIDI notes Cubase can tell you what cord it is)
Quantizer has lots of options

Things I hate about Cubase:

Non-Windows window management.  Every window in Cubase acts crazy in some half-mac/half-Atari SE kind of way.  The toolbars all don't work like Windows apps.  It drives me mad.  When I minimize a project window I don't want to have to also minimize the app menu floating on my screen/etc.
You don't delete/remove plugins/synths in Cubase instead you set it to No VST Instrument/No Effect.  On paper this sounds fine but when I want to remove a plugin I don't want to scroll to the top of a giant list to select No Effect, I'd rather right click and pick delete.
Recording a synth is a lot harder to do than Cakewalk, I almost always have to Google it since I can never remember the steps.  They aren't hard but for some reason it bothers me.
Included MIDI FX plugins seem kind of weak.
Had to buy jBridge to run the handful of 32-bit plugins that I still use.

Things I think are pretty much a tie:

Built in effects/included synths/etc.  I rarely use Cakewalk's and I rarely use Cubase's.  Not sure that's a fault of either company though.

Thing I miss the most about Cakewalk:

Melodyne ARA integration.  (this is supposed to show up in Cubase soon though, so I'm really hopeful).

On the whole though I think CbB holds it own with Cubase better than most people would think.  I'd give Cubase the edge for synths and MIDI but not by an epic amount.  If you are thinking about switching one I thing I do think is true, you can't easily use both.  You kind of have to commit if you want to get the most out of either app.  It's why I rarely use CbB anymore.  Not because CbB can't do it, it's just a matter of personal focus.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

Ok...shipping cost is $28...just checked...so Sweetwater is better option.
If you have a coupon, it's cheaper at Musician's Friend, but they are out
of stock right now...

Thanks Larry, you are the best!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

While I know a lot of users might argue with me........ lots and lots of helpful insights...... it's just a matter of personal focus.

Thanks for your thoughts. As I said, my main concern is with external gear integration. I have a month or so to think so I'll take some time to watch all those Groove3 videos and see how much Cubase could improve these matter compared with I already have.

To be honest, the price is also a big factor here. Everything Steinberg is so damn expensive 🤓 that when a deal like this appears its hard to ignore.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sergio said:

Thanks for your thoughts. As I said, my main concern is with external gear integration. I have a month or so to think so I'll take some time to watch all those Groove3 videos and see how much Cubase could improve these matter compared with I already have.

To be honest, the price is also a big factor here. Everything Steinberg is so damn expensive 🤓 that when a deal like this appears its hard to ignore.

It will continue with those .5 upgrades. The wise part of me that I never listen to says to avoid it.   It would be another DAW with more license restrictions.  It would be tied to one machine since I hate moving dongles.   Meanwhile  my other DAWs are on at least two machines.   I have to wonder if it's a good idea to get another DAW despite how good it is or use that money (credit actually) to get more toys for the other DAWs.

7 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Still wondering if I should. 

I’m on a Mac and I love Logic Pro. Also have Bitwig, Waveform and Reason. 

Also, would hate to need another stick. 

So ?

If I had a Mac I would milk Logic to the max.   Cubase is losing ground to Reaper.  I have that and maybe I should invest more time in learning it.  Some have went to Studio One because they like the layout.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Cubase is losing ground to Reaper

Thanks for saying that. Now I'll be strong and leave (and stay away from) this thread before someone comes with a counter argument. I'm saving for Solemn Tone's Odin (or maybe wait for Impact Soundworks' 8-stringer).

Must... Be... Strong...

• Like 1

I too have Sonar X3 Professional.

This is tempting, as Cubase has notation, chord track, assistant and pads.

However, S1's implementation of chord track is incredible, in that it can deal with polyphonic audio.  Hopefully S1 will get a mini version of Notion embedded for editing MIDI.

I was leaning toward S1, but this cross-grade price is really low.  Decisions...

Edited by pbognar

Gah so tempting! I moved onto Studio One after the great Cakewalk debacle, but S1 just does not play well with external hardware (Komplete Kontrol MK2, etc..) & software (iZotope RX, etc..). Now that Cubase is finally getting ARA I'm really considering making the plunge at this price!

I'd say go for it - bear in mind that ARA isn't here yet and has been delayed once already.....and will probably be full of bugs when it does appear (although I'm sure you knew that !)

Also there's never been a cheaper way to get Nuendo if you need the extra post features, or simply like extended surround sound formats.  SB are claiming that cubase/nuendo will be more or less in feature sync from now on.  Previously there was a loooonnng delay for Nuendo to get the latest Cubase features.

Essentially anyone can get the crossgrade deal.  Most people reading this have at least one of those DAWs. I'm probably still on the Cubase server from years ago trying their basic version. SE I think it was. Never went to the Steinberg dongle. 

I think this sale is reflective of the times. When a giant like Steinberg has a sale like this it's not typical. They almost NEVER do this.

Have you noticed ProTools is loosening the pricing a little too?

Edited by Starise