life on a nebula REMIX

Jesse Screed

Interesting panning going on here in the opening section.  I cannot hear the vocals very well. The vocals panned to the left are a bit back in the mix, and the bass, drums and guitar seem to occupy the same space toward the right with the other vocal. The overall effect is a bit unclear and chaotic and it's hard for me to follow. That may in fact be what you're after.  Assuming it's not, I'd try for a more conventional panning with vocals, drum and bass in the middle with some separation between the vocal parts, and guitars panned right and left.

Your recordings are typically nice and clear with good tones coming from the instruments. On this track I can't hear some things very well so I think some playing with levels to get a better balance would help.

Edited by Kevin Walsh

11 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

Interesting panning going on here in the opening section.  I cannot hear the vocals very well. The vocals panned to the left are a bit back in the mix, and the bass, drums and guitar seem to occupy the same space toward the right with the other vocal. The overall effect is a bit unclear and chaotic and it's hard for me to follow. That may in fact be what you're after.  Assuming it's not, I'd try for a more conventional panning with vocals, drum and bass in the middle with some separation between the vocal parts, and guitars panned right and left.

Your recordings are typically nice and clear with good tones coming from the instruments. On this track I can't hear some things very well so I think some playing with levels to get a better balance would help.

Thank you Kevin, excellent critique.  i will revisit this and use your impressions as a guide.

I think Kevin has you headed down the right path.

I will add this:
The bass is too "wet", pull the verb back, maybe alot. If it was recorded "wet", you need to either get the mic
closer to the cab, or add a close mic; then you can "season" to taste so to speak.

Definitely got to get the "main" vocal upfront and centered.

just my nickel98 Jesse

t

4 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

I will add this:
The bass is too "wet", pull the verb back, maybe alot. If it was recorded "wet", you need to either get the mic
closer to the cab, or add a close mic; then you can "season" to taste so to speak.

just my nickel98 Jesse

t

Hi Tom, it is kind of a wreck isn't it🤣

oh well, back to the drawing board

• Like 1

You have two vocals saying/singing different things, both panned left. Can't make em out. Then a third vocal with cool panning effects. However if the intent is to let the whole thing just wash over your conscious mind, it's quite fun, as per your usual.

Silly humans, always expecting a narrative. 😵 I don't know that mixing decisions are super critical if the arrangement is a wonderfully psychedelic goulash. But your individual instruments sound very cleanly recorded which is half the mixing battle. 

The other 90% is being original. Well done.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 9:45 AM, DeeringAmps said:

I will add this:

just my nickel98 Jesse

t

kevin professed,

tom verified

remix below

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14344688

On 11/11/2021 at 9:53 PM, Kevin Walsh said:

Maybe all it needs is a remix. 

Yes, thanks for challenging me

19 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

your individual instruments sound very cleanly recorded which is half the mixing battle. 

it might be half, some more, some less.  creative quite possibly

10 hours ago, daryl1968 said:

I wouldn't change a thing Mr Q

well, I did

still curios if this is a little more tickles the uvula

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14344688

• Like 1

I think this is a much more interesting and more musical piece than your original mix, imho. The bass and the drums sounded like they were working together to provide a foundation for everything else. It sounded pretty decent even on my little cheap cell phone speaker. I really liked the bass tone quite a bit. It seems like the mix gave me things to focus on one or two at a time instead of the everything all at once. I will give it a listen on my good stereo later. Nice work!