Toontrack Orchestral Percussion SDX has arrived!

cclarry

Ok...I think Time Space has made a mistake in the EU Pricing
The TT Website shows $279....which would make $249 at Retailers,
And, even in Euros, TS is only charging about $180...I think they've goofed,
and THAT was to YOUR benefit

I had points at T&S and paid with GBP.  Used Paypal with bank account to dodge credit card 3% extra foreign transaction fee.  My total with fees ended up around $157.  Seemed reasonable.  🙂

Went ahead and bought it now, since Toontrack has a history of forcing retailers to only offer US customers prices in dollars.  And including VAT when doing currency conversion games.  I wouldn't be surprised if both Best Service and T&S get called on to "correct" their US pricing.  Which might explain why T&S wants $249 for it in dollars, but only 132.50 in GBP (which in dollars works out to $173ish).

Default patch takes ~3gigs of ram.  MIDI included is very disappointing.  Sounds good, but really really needs a lot more pre-rigged setups.  It's kind of like a giant LEGO kit with no guides.  You could make anything with it, but it's left as an exercise for the reader.

I did enjoy loading some normal drum grooves and then moving the hits around to other instruments.  SP3's MIDI editor is very nice.

It downloaded at 22MB/sec for me, but I have gigabit FiOS.

The only ensembles I can see are Tampani setups, ut I've yet to read the manual or watch any of the many videos.  Just looking at the UI as is, from the clueless point of view.  You'd have to build your own, replacing other instruments with snares (which you can do, though graphically those additional snares are all electric drum pads).  There are a number of snare MIDI selections (rolls/rudiments).