It Takes A Heart - remix

Lynn Wilson

On 11/13/2021 at 2:39 AM, bjornpdx said:

Great song, Lynn. Arrangement is really good and the organ fits in very well. Really like the female voices in the BG too. Good work on this one.
-Bjorn

Thank you, Bjorn!  My falsetto definitely has a feminine side ;)  I was inspired by Joe Cocker's band at Woodstock.  I did vary the volume of the organ a bit in the last mix for added nuance.

On 11/13/2021 at 10:16 AM, Bapu said:

Very cool groove and the vocal is really top drawer. Mix is well balanced on my Sennheiser HD600s.

Ed, thanks for dropping by!  I appreciate you comments, especially because I used a Sennheiser HD 300 with the Sonarworks calibration among my playback devices.

On 11/13/2021 at 11:47 AM, Paul Bush said:

Always a treat Lynn, nice one , great text and vocals

Thank you for your kind words, Paul.  The text is close to traditional blues, but with a touch of my own experiences.  lol

On 11/13/2021 at 3:55 PM, Makke said:

Great song and vocals. Good arrangement and well done mix. All instrument and vocals can be heard well. Sounds good on my headphones. 

Thanks, Makke!  I've gotten some good input here that I put to use.  I'm relying more and more on my headphones and my fellow producers.

On 11/14/2021 at 3:12 PM, PhonoBrainer said:

Trippy! I think it's very strong, with a greeat lead vocal, and did you pitch yourself up to get the bgv's? They totally work!

I think the only mix thoughts I would have would be a comparison. In the second 3/4 of the song, compare your lead vocal volume to the organ. The organ serves, the lead vocal shines. Perfect! But go back to the very first intro at the beginning, I think the organ is stepping all over your lead vocal, even though the organ is panned hard right. Too much competition?

In the beginning, maybe the hi hat could use a skosh more reverb to sink into the mix.

This is all so very super original. Loved it.

Tom, you and Daryl said the same thing, so I remixed it with that in mind.  I hope this addresses that issue.  As for the bgv's, it's all my natural falsetto, and this song just happened to fall into my key.  Thanks for your suggestion, as it improved the song!

On 11/14/2021 at 5:32 PM, antler said:

Great song, Lynn! You've got some really good vocals, going against an interesting and diverse sonic palette - good mix too, bringing everything out.

Antler, thanks for your kind words!  Thanks to the help of others, this is getting better with age.

On 11/15/2021 at 3:55 AM, SupaReels said:

On 11/12/2021 at 11:11 AM, SupaReels said:

I love your vocal mate, lyrics are unmistakably yours. Think it needs a bit of tidying up here an there like Jack has pointed out,  and it's a little thin in places ( Hammond ) ... so in my sketchbook it's not quite there yet, but I know you (well sort of) and my bet is you'll do a remix in time.

Take care

Steve

Steve, I took you suggestion and remixed this.  I hope it helps with your suggestions.  Many thanks!

This whole song has thickened up and it sounds really professional. It sounded like there was a little more compression and you pulled up the lower end, which I feel gives the song what it needs .. guts! Great work mate ( and I wouldn't say that if I never meant it ).

ATB

Steve

Steve, I really appreciated your suggestion!  This is why I come here!

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2021 at 8:32 AM, daryl1968 said:

Nice one Lynn me old mate. Organ was distractingly loud for me. Love the brass thing!

Hey, mate, thanks for your kind words and comment on the organ!  You're right on, and I did a remix with that in mind.  Session Horns get credit for the brass.

On 11/15/2021 at 3:41 PM, steve@baselines.com said:

This is a great song Lynn - brings me back to the 70s muically.  (a good thing) Your vocal is perfect for the song.  Love the guitar licks throughout.  The whole thing has character and is well thought out.

Steve

Steve, that is high praise coming from you!  Keep up the good work you are doing!

Just gave your new mix a listen, it's awfully good. Love the bass tone, you're going to have to tell me how you get that sound. I think you nailed it with the organ mix. Everything is nice and spacious. If I'd change anything I'd bring the lead vocal up just a hair, but that's a subjective thing I think. As always, great vocal performance. You have a really good set of pipes and you use them to great effect here. 

Loved the arrangement. It's pretty busy what with the guitar, the vocal and the bass all playing around at the same time. The guitar on the left still threatens to dominate the mix.

This is a good one!

• Thanks 1

Kevin, I really appreciate your suggestions and time.  The next time I remix this, I'll keep your ideas in mind.  As for the bass, it's a Fender Prophesy played through Guitar Rig 5 (bass amps) using the preset- Precise Bottom, followed by a CA-2A in the Pro Channel.  Slight boost at 300 hz.  Thanks for returning!

Now that is what I would call some "mighty fine" soulful funk.  Excellent and creative work, pal!!  Lyrics are cool and your vocals really deliver them in a manner that expresses what they mean.  Those BGV's --- absoflippinlutely excellent.  As is the bass, guitars, mix, etc., etc.!   It has your signature all over it and it is excellent!

• Thanks 1

On 11/21/2021 at 9:19 AM, Hidden Symmetry said:

Love the groove of this track & your signature vocal, those backing vocals fit nicely too.

Thank you for having a listen and commenting!  All the best

On 11/21/2021 at 2:10 PM, freddy j said:

Now that is what I would call some "mighty fine" soulful funk.  Excellent and creative work, pal!!  Lyrics are cool and your vocals really deliver them in a manner that expresses what they mean.  Those BGV's --- absoflippinlutely excellent.  As is the bass, guitars, mix, etc., etc.!   It has your signature all over it and it is excellent!

Freddy, I really appreciate your comments!  This was a fun project, but it took a while to mix.  So much help here!